Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because blaming victims is intelligent. No. Admittedly it was rash but under those circumstances you only really have a moment to react to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Nothing in a purse is more valuable than your life, and especially not your childs.
    Better stay inside at all times then. Would be risking the childrens lives otherwise.

When we become a society that just sits back and lets hoodlums get away with crap without standing up for ourselves then we as a society should cease to exist.

Victim blaming. For shame.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Deleted
    Nothing in a purse is more valuable than your life, and especially not your childs.
    I can't actually believe you are judging the victim's behaviour instead of blaming only the one that actually done the damage.

People throw the term victim blaming around so irrationally on here. The victim isn't to blame for the crime that occurred here, but she did make a poor decision which made the crime considerably worse.

In the end, it depends on what the news story means when it says she "Confronted" the thief. If she just yelled HEY or something as he took it, and then he stabbed her, I wouldn't consider that a confrontation. But to physically put yourself in the perpetrators way, or something of that sort, that is certainly confronting him, and a bad decision. Thats all this post is about.

I wanted to feel out what the general response would be if I raised up this accusation of sorts. I'm not surprised by the outcome, but I wish people would realize that, like I said, while it is ultimately the fault of the thief what occurred here, she did still make a very poor decision. No one here is saying what occurred isn't the fault of the thief - just that the situation was made worse by the victim.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2014-05-01 at 01:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People throw the term victim blaming around so irrationally on here. The victim isn't to blame for the crime that occurred here, but she did make a poor decision which made the crime considerably worse.

In the end, it depends on what the news story means when it says she "Confronted" the thief. If she just yelled HEY or something as he took it, and then he stabbed her, I wouldn't consider that a confrontation. But to physically put yourself in the perpetrators way, or something of that sort, that is certainly confronting him, and a bad decision.
    It is rational, because the victim was stabbed by a criminal. Blaming her for being stabbed is... bizarre.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    It is rational, because the victim was stabbed by a criminal. Blaming her for being stabbed is... bizarre.
    I'm saying she made a poor decision to confront the thief, which resulted in her being stabbed. How is that bizarre?

Simple question to ask here:
    If she had not confronted the thief, would she still have been stabbed? Would a man have died?

Deleted
    Theres a way of thinking popular with feminists that says the victim has no way to affect the likelyhood of being assaulted. You know, take no responsibility for your own safety.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Or even blaming her for some scum criminal excessive reaction...
    It's as if she shouldn't have protected her belonging, while he's somehow "justified" in his reaction cause it was expected.
    Blame is all on him. Her reaction was understandable, his reaction was excessive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm saying she made a poor decision to confront the thief, which resulted in her being stabbed. How is that bizarre?
    A) With the benefit of hindsight
    B) It is not a moral blame to confront someone for crime.
    C) The only "poor" decision was by the criminal stabbing her.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Deleted

If she had not confronted the thief, would she still have been stabbed? Would a man have died?
    Her being stabbed isn't a result of her actions. It's the result of the actions of a two bit junkie criminal.
    She is right in defending her belongings. The thief isn't right in stabbing her for a purse.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Her being stabbed isn't a result of her actions. It's the result of the actions of a two bit junkie criminal.
    She is right in defending her belongings. The thief isn't right in stabbing her for a purse.
    No one is saying the criminal isn't to blame here - but to ONLY blame the criminal is a bit blind. Poor decisions were made on both sides.

Deleted

Question is inappropriate. If the thief didnt try stealing her purse, would she had been stabbed? Would a man have died? The second you're NOT asking this question you're basically blaming the victim, no matter how much you sugar coat it.

Maybe, maybe not; there is absolutely no way of knowing. So blaming her, in total hindsight mind you, is completely asinine.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Deleted
    No one is saying the criminal isn't to blame here - but to ONLY blame the criminal is a bit blind. Poor decisions were made on both sides.
    No.
    /10 chars

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    Maybe, maybe not; there is absolutely no way of knowing. So blaming her, in total hindsight mind you, is completely asinine.
    So you recommend women with small children to confront thieves with knives. You think thats a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Question is inappropriate. If the thief didnt try stealing her purse, would she had been stabbed? Would a man have died? The second you're NOT asking this question you're basically blaming the victim, no matter how much you sugar coat it.
    Why do people keep bringing this up and thinking its valid reasoning for her actions? We know what the thief did is wrong, bad, and resulted in this. But we also know that her actions exasperated the issue. I just find it really weird that people are so vehemently against accepting that.

I guess some peoples thought processes are just vastly different. Mine works like this: If a guy comes up and randomly punches me in the face, I'm not going to immediately swing back. Unless hes attempting to pummel me, I'm going to take a step back and take a second to think "What reason did he have to do that? How should I react?"

The OP's logic is rediculous. Why should be responsible? To confront the man, taking her belongings is a quite logical and natural action. To expect anything else wouldn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    The OP's logic is rediculous. Why should be responsible? To confront the man, taking her belongings is a quite logical and natural action. To expect anything else wouldn't make any sense.
    If you think its logical to confront some one who could possibly have a weapon and is already breaking the law, then all I can say is I hope you never get mugged.