Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    @ OP: Why does this concern you or offend you that much? Just curious why the angry smiley was necessary to describe this situation.

Don't worry, I'm sure people will see this and then unilaterally declare that Blizzard ripped off this game and therefore makes WoW a casual/kiddy game, regardless of the fact that Varian Wrynn appeared in Warcraft first. Pointing that out will label you as a fanboy.

At any rate, is it really that hard for people to come up with unique ideas?
    "Do not look down, my friend. Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope... Hope for a better day, hope for a new dawn... Or just hope for a good breakfast. You start small, then see what you can get." ~ Covetous Shen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Nice find, reminds me of that HS clone someone in China made with hardly any portrait swaps.

This one time at Brand Camp, I got Singed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    Looks like a random anime face to me. You know, just like Varian's. How shocking that you see it elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    looks like a generic anime cartoon face

Uh-huh, very generic, so much so that even the hair highlights are identical, not to mention every feature is 1 to 1 (except scarring). How quaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Conqueror View Post
    @ OP: Why does this concern you or offend you that much? Just curious why the angry smiley was necessary to describe this situation.
    Are you insinuating that blatant theft is alright with you? Not sure why you felt the need to even ask that, unless just to stir up trouble (which is likely knowing you)

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Are you insinuating that blatant theft is alright with you? Not sure why you felt the need to even ask that, unless just to stir up trouble (which is likely knowing you)
    The OP isn't the assumed victim of this assumed theft. It just appears odd to me that he shares or expresses feelings of anger or frustration in this regard. Does he relate himself with Blizzard, is Blizzard a part of him? Just curious, it seems like unhealthy behaviour to act so outraged over an assumed wrong where one isn't even the assumed victim.
    Last edited by Anarch the Subduer; 2014-05-01 at 09:08 AM.

Are you insinuating you get mad when you hear about a robbery on the other side of the world? I don't.
    No need to get angry about it. Interesting to point out, sure, but hardly something that should anger you.
    I'm not a native English speaker, and yet, I don't suck at English. The argument "English is not my mother tongue" doesn't actually give you an excuse to do so.

Hahaha this is funny.

In daytime i am Varian, King of the Alliance ... but @ night i dress up like a mage and troll arround in Origins of Order.
    Playing MMO's since 1997 ®
    Ultima Online > Everquest > Dark Age of Camelot > Lineage 2 > World of Warcraft.
    In between ofcourse all the other MMOs u can name. Those above spend atleast 1 year.

There's a tower defense game on Android (maybe iphone too, no idea) called Lair Defense. It uses several sprites and arts from WoW, mostly the dragons and drakes. One of the baddies looks like Druid's Bear form, and is called a Druid.

I've also played random clone RPGs (you know, the ones that all seem to look alike, the same company spits out about 10 of them a month, etc) that contain attack icons and things from WoW. It seems to be a very popular game to rip off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    Hahaha this is funny.

In daytime i am Varian, King of the Alliance ... but @ night i dress up like a mage and troll arround in Origins of Order.
    Wheres the fucking like button for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    Hahaha this is funny.

Australian Oceanic Player: 6 Year Vet, Multi classit

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    There's a tower defense game on Android (maybe iphone too, no idea) called Lair Defense. It uses several sprites and arts from WoW, mostly the dragons and drakes. One of the baddies looks like Druid's Bear form, and is called a Druid.

I've also played random clone RPGs (you know, the ones that all seem to look alike, the same company spits out about 10 of them a month, etc) that contain attack icons and things from WoW. It seems to be a very popular game to rip off.
    Not that the bolded part is very surprising given WoW's success.

But yes, people ripping off games like this isn't rare, you can probably find some of it in most low-budget games (such as FB games).
    I'm not a native English speaker, and yet, I don't suck at English. The argument "English is not my mother tongue" doesn't actually give you an excuse to do so.

The OP isn't the assumed victim of this assumed theft. It just appears odd to me that he shares or expresses feelings of anger or frustration in this regard. Does he relate himself with Blizzard, is Blizzard a part of him? Just curious, it seems like unhealthy behaviour to act so outraged over an assumed wrong where one isn't even the assumed victim.
    So watching somebody else get mugged is alright with you and you have no right to be offended by the sight of it? Hey logic, I'd like you to meet Anarch. Also confirmed that you are just trying to stir shit up. You are worse for these forums than that guy Traask lol

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Asshat View Post
    Are you insinuating you get mad when you hear about a robbery on the other side of the world? I don't.
    No need to get angry about it. Interesting to point out, sure, but hardly something that should anger you.

It's a pretty audacious thing to do, and who are you to tell anybody what is alright and not alright to be offended by?

Did this irritate me? A little, not much though, but what concern is that of yours? Fitting name btw <3
    Last edited by matheney2k; 2014-05-01 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamwheedle View Post
    [IMG]http://www.blogcdn.com/wow.joystiq.com/media/2011/12/azvarianheader.jpg
    It's pretty clearly copied from Varian's face in the Battlecry Mosaic.

Edit: For comparison, the full-size picture from Origin of Order's Facebook page:

[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/1966815_195283387348511_1734083552_n.jpg
    Oh yeah, that's clearly stolen. It's edited a bit for sure, but the hair and the facial features, shadows, etc, are identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Inb4 blinkng warriors... "CC VARIAN, NOW!" *Varian blinks away*

But seriously, yeah, looks freakish to see Varian's facial setup on another game, basicly a Young Varian. There's no scar... or tied up hair. But still, facial marks are too alligned.

Indeed, now that I remember. Though they had 'borrowed' the Worgen concept art. But still..
    They obviously edited it a little, but other than a touch up here or there, it looks like they pretty much just cropped his face and pasted it on.

The fuck are you talking about, with this "assuming" bullshit? The face is clearly copy-pasted, if edited a little. I'm almost legally blind and it's that obvious to me.

So watching somebody else get mugged is alright with you and you have no right to be offended by the sight of it? Hey logic, I'd like you to meet Anarch.
    A legal copy and retouch of artwork between companies is the same as someone getting mugged now? It's quite obvious how hung up you are on logic and how it alienates you from being a nuanced person. There's no shit being stirred here on my end. Review your priorities and values before you decide to become a part of a Blizzard defense squad, perhaps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow the Edgehog View Post
    I'm almost legally blind and it's that obvious to me.
    You do indeed appear to be touching in the dark when it concerns legalities. I can assure you that from a legal point of view the way they retouched a minor part of the original artwork and reapplied it clears them, most likely, from any legal concerns.

ITT: People getting angry about legal business practices.

Surprised to see that the game is still up and running after it was discovered months ago. Perhaps Blizzard is not interested, otherwise their lawyers would have eaten that game company alive already.

They also stole worgen and goblin art from wow. And more from many other games.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Varian rerolled to a class that doesn't suck! Good for him!

I wonder if copyright extends to specific art elements such as this.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I wonder if copyright extends to specific art elements such as this.
    It's (mostly) entirely legal, even if that entire picture of Varian had been copyrighted.

Section 107 of the Copyright Act, on Fair Use:
    1. Transformative quality: The original work has been transformed sufficiently.
    3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole.

It basically is legal on the grounds that it's only a very small part of the original that got copied, and it has been reworked and used in a different way than the original.

There are also several other elements that are in favour of fair use (such as the fact it's used as promotional artwork and not being sold). They can also claim parody. There is no way any of Blizzard's lawyers would touch this with a 10 foot pole and take this to a courtroom.
    Last edited by Anarch the Subduer; 2014-05-01 at 01:22 PM.

why should this even concern you? You're not blizzard.

Some people here take this a bit too serious. Its just an cheap artists copying artwork for a cheap promo picture for a cheap game.
    It happens all the time. You shouldn't feel offended like as if someone offended your religion.