When are Challenge Modes being removed?

When are Challenge Modes being removed as in around how much time do people have left to attempt to go for gold? For people who aren't in a guild that is very active or goal oriented/casuals what would be the best approach to find groups to start doing CMs? Also do Sha-Touched gems work for CMs?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would also like to know this as my guild just started doing challenge modes (got gold on jade tonight woot woot.) And I'm pretty sure the sha gem does not work.

The extra socket (eye of the black prince) works, not the sha-touched gem itself.

It should close when 6.0 is released, so in fall most likely.

They're going away with patch 6.0, which should come out a month or so before the actual expansion launches, so August at the earliest- sometime in Fall most likely.

Perhaps at the moment pre-patch 6.0.

I'm confused on if they were removing it at the release of WoD or pre 6.0.

Pre-expansion patches are always released approximately a month before the expansion launches. So 6.0 will come before WoD, 6.0 does not mean expansion launch day.

Deleted
    Probably when every man and his dog has done it or been boosted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    They're going away with patch 6.0, which should come out a month or so before the actual expansion launches, so August at the earliest- sometime in Fall most likely.
    Spot on IMO, I would say have them golds before August
    - Also: http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1523/ch...d-useful-items

Good Luck, and kick ass!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah probably a short time before the actual release, would feel most natural

No idea but it'll be in the WoD prepatch.

What I do to gear for CMs on brand new toons is go to IoT and run around until I get a chest or key to collect heaps of coins, then run LFR MSV, HOF and TOES. If time permits, ToT as well. Items have 100% drop rates for coin rolls in the first three. Drop rates are much lower in ToT, and it's much more work to get coins for that.

The gear in there isn't optimal but it has a few sockets and some of it is decent. Sufficed to get me 8x9/9 so far. Also some JP & VP gear is good. Go for your best stats + the most sockets.

By the time I'm done with that (~1-2 weeks) I usually have the first phase of the legendary quest done, so a long way off the legendary socket (Eye of the Black Prince) which is the only thing from the legendary chain that works in CMs. So I usually don't bother with it - but if you're using a main that has already done it, use it. Bear in mind it doesn't work on SoO weapons so work out if that extra socket is worth it.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2014-05-02 at 09:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

You would probably get a notice ahead before they are actually removing it, (I guess 4 weeks is usually when they announce the pre-exp patches)
    "Remember to take ALL things in moderation.. Even World of Warcraft" :]

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll be when 6.0 is released, which is the pre-patch to WoD and generally a month or so before WoD will come out. That means that you'll likely have at least through August, if not later, and there will be warning before 6.0 drops as well - explicitly from Blizzard as well as being able to tell its coming by how Beta testing is proceeding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remery View Post
    I'm confused on if they were removing it at the release of WoD or pre 6.0.
    6.0, because the whole stat system is being overhauled. It would be literally impossible to make CMs function as they do now.

They changed how vengeance worked in 5.4 (or whatever patch really), but that small change never made it to challenge modes, because tank DPS through vengeance is an integral part of current challenge modes. With them doing over the whole stat system, gold and realm-best times will become meaningless, so the only logical thing they can do is to lock the CMs.

It's not really different from say arenas though. If you aren't one of the top 0.5%, well, you're not going to get a mount, if you're not farming season 14 gladiator gear, you're not going to be able to get it anytime later.

You would probably get a notice ahead before they are actually removing it
    Last edited by gahlmanwoa; 2014-05-05 at 05:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    No idea but it'll be in the WoD prepatch.

What I do to gear for CMs on brand new toons is go to IoT and run around until I get a chest or key to collect heaps of coins, then run LFR MSV, HOF and TOES. If time permits, ToT as well. Items have 100% drop rates for coin rolls in the first three. Drop rates are much lower in ToT, and it's much more work to get coins for that.

The gear in there isn't optimal but it has a few sockets and some of it is decent. Sufficed to get me 8x9/9 so far. Also some JP & VP gear is good. Go for your best stats + the most sockets.

By the time I'm done with that (~1-2 weeks) I usually have the first phase of the legendary quest done, so a long way off the legendary socket (Eye of the Black Prince) which is the only thing from the legendary chain that works in CMs. So I usually don't bother with it - but if you're using a main that has already done it, use it. Bear in mind it doesn't work on SoO weapons so work out if that extra socket is worth it.
    In general the extra socket is a nice to have but not mandatory because of the gold cost (assuming you have reached pass that point in the legendary questline). I believe it's like 1.75k gold at exalted black prince.

Keep in mind that for some classes, the ghost iron dragonling is pretty nice because it offers 2400 in secondary stats via cogwheels. You can't stack the same secondary stat but it can be helpful to reach hit/exp caps if necessary.

There's a bit of a debate on how much hit/exp you should shoot for as well. Since the bosses in CM aren't as challenging as the mobs, you can get by with being hit/capped at lv 92 mobs (lv 93 = bosses, typically).

For the most part, around 18~20 sockets is what you should aim for to have a nice decent CM set. You can do it with less, but more just makes it a bit easier. In particular aim to get leggings and chest pieces that offer 3 sockets. If you search for it, there's a BiS list that's been compiled for most classes/specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    the boa items are really nice to have, along with lei shen legs