WoD, worth rerolling as a DK?

I've played an enh shaman since the early days and I have loved it all the way. I love it's current 'rotation' as it is easy to just slap mobs around but gives a lot of room for perfection by paying close attention to your CD use. But I think it is time to move on and I was planning to use my free 90 to do so. With the changes to gearing coming in WoD I think it is time I try a plate class as a dps main spec and tanking off spec.

I don't want to play a paladin again as I raided holy in Naxx40 and I'm over the class aesthetically. This leaves a warrior, mainly fury, and a dk, mainly frost. I was leaning to dk because of the added super zoom of professions with the free 90 usage but upon reading how people are talking about the WoD class changes I'm now not sure anymore. The changes to both the DK and Warrior are about as clear as mud to me because I'm not very familiar with either class atm. Hence my problem. I work and am married so I don't have enough time to really dabble with them that often as I mostly just play my enh shaman when I raid.

I wanted to poll the community as to why they will continue with their frost dk or why I should consider a fury warrior more closely. Or hell, even stick with my enh shaman...

I thank you for your input in advance.

Death Knights are fun to play - fast-paced, fluid and extremely active with a great resource system that just works well - but I'm honestly considering rerolling to either Monk or Rogue for WoD. DKs have had meh scaling for too long (always "viable", lower mid, working your arse off to do what other classes can do whilst playing poor) and the lack of mobility is annoying personally.

It depends what you like though. Personally I just can't play anything that doesn't have a 1s GCD, with a very high active time, and preferably mobile. Gotta' ask yourself questions, but you might be better off waiting for WoD beta to hit first.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-05-09 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valex View Post
    The first tier of WoD will be interesting for DK and Monk. worth.
    Do you mind elaborating more?

Well... dks main issue since cata is the poor gear scaling.

But I think it will be fixed in wod, haste now will finally affect our diseases and the shadow portion from scourge strike finally is able to crit, for frost 2H we got the new stat Multstrike.

Also, our tier 100 talents are all shadowfrost damage wich increases the value of mastery for both unholy and frost.

Another issue was the poor raid utility, but they are taking away utility from many other classes, so i think it will no longer be an issue.

no where have they said haste will effect diseases

honestly it's too early to tell but I personally wouldn't bother with a dk.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post

I thought diseases were going to get the same haste benefits as other dots? Or did I misunderstand the changes there?

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post

https://twitter.com/Celestalon/statu...00112071725056

Deleted
    dks are in a weird position. At the start of wrath, they had the most class identity and (in my opinion) the greatest feeling to them. Unfortunately, every expansion now blizz took something away from that. Also, the main issues most dks have haven't been adressed since cata (They wanted to give blood more proactivity but celestalon tweeted they are changing that). You sometimes get the feeling that because dks are dead already they don't deserve any love.

Since you said you wanted to be frost: I hope you like boring rotations. It seems both dw and 2h will use a 3-button rotation in wrath. I personally will continue to play dw-frost, simply because i have since the launch of WotLK.

Fury warrior on the other hand has a very complex set of abilities and also a 2-phase rotation (You could compare it to Subtlety rogues). However i haven't been following the warrior-changes for wod so i don't know how accurate that still is.

Quote Originally Posted by tsata View Post
    I've played an enh shaman since the early days and I have loved it all the way. I love it's current 'rotation' as it is easy to just slap mobs around but gives a lot of room for perfection by paying close attention to your CD use. But I think it is time to move on and I was planning to use my free 90 to do so. With the changes to gearing coming in WoD I think it is time I try a plate class as a dps main spec and tanking off spec.

I don't want to play a paladin again as I raided holy in Naxx40 and I'm over the class aesthetically. This leaves a warrior, mainly fury, and a dk, mainly frost. I was leaning to dk because of the added super zoom of professions with the free 90 usage but upon reading how people are talking about the WoD class changes I'm now not sure anymore. The changes to both the DK and Warrior are about as clear as mud to me because I'm not very familiar with either class atm. Hence my problem. I work and am married so I don't have enough time to really dabble with them that often as I mostly just play my enh shaman when I raid.

I wanted to poll the community as to why they will continue with their frost dk or why I should consider a fury warrior more closely. Or hell, even stick with my enh shaman...

I thank you for your input in advance.
    Wait for Beta.

Right now most peoples assumptions are just using the numbers we got in Alpha Notes and trying to Match it to our current gear/Stats.

Wait until we actually have a reference of Gear in correlation to stats before choosing what you want to play next expansion.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

that doesn't mention anything about haste doe.
    the dot changes are no snapshotting, reapplying under 30% (possibly), other stuff i may have forgotten. since haste doesn't effect diseases the change to give an 'extra tick' or w/e at the end doesn't apply.

until i see a concrete 'haste now affects druids, warrior, and dk' dots I wouldn't bet money on it until we actually see alpha/beta
    Last edited by bals; 2014-05-09 at 06:18 AM.

As far as I'm aware, that's in reference to snapshotting stats.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Having played both a bit at 90 (way too much free time), I personally prefer Fury Warrior over Frost DK. That said, I can try to gives some general pros/cons, and see if that helps you make the decision.

DK

Pros
    -Fast paced rotation
    -Unique resource management
    -Decent cleaving ability
    -semi-unique raid utility in Death Grip
    -If you do it before 6.0, awesome CM set

Cons
    -Very little mobility
    -rotation can start to feel bland once you get used to it
    -Talents feel either mandatory or meaningless (Personally, I find this a larger issue on my DK than almost any other class, save maybe Rogue)
    -Poor scaling (although Warlords does look like it may improve on this, as other mentioned.)
    -Lack of any real raid Cooldown (Although, with other classes' raid Cooldowns being cut, this may go a little more neutral)

Warrior

Pros
    -somewhat complex 2-phase rotation, keeps you engaged
    -Nice on-demand burst during Colossus Smash (especially with CDs up)
    -Quite a bit of mobility (Not quite as much as say a WW monk, but still enough for most conceivable raid situations)
    -Lots on Stuns for add control on fights like Nazgrim for example.
    -Very good AoE

Cons
    -Very crit dependent, can make being undergeared feel very weak
    -Rotation takes a little while to get used to
    -Finding Haste on gear will make you cringe (Likely to be fixed in Warlords, as haste will work the same way as ret pallys (reduce GCD and CD on your Bloodthirst))
    -At SoO gear levels, kind of shoe-horned into taking Stormbolt (I want my Avatar, dammit! Wanted it in WoW since Vanilla!> )

Obviously a lot of this is subject to change as Warlords develops, so I would definitely advise waiting until there's some Alpha/Beta footage out there to make up your mind, but this may at least steer you in one direction or the other.
    so Warlords of Draenor is /'woɹː.loɹːdz ʌv 'ɖɹæːn.oɹː/.
    I've always loved how in an attempt to make pronunciation through text easier to understand people have created a seemingly alien cypher for which few people without a degree related to language would ever been able to understand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool of the Dead View Post
    Wait for Beta.

Right now most peoples assumptions are just using the numbers we got in Alpha Notes and trying to Match it to our current gear/Stats.

Wait until we actually have a reference of Gear in correlation to stats before choosing what you want to play next expansion.
    That's not true. The assumptions we make are not based on numbers, but mostly on the fact that

a) there are no changes to frost dks rotational abilities except for improved rime (which if it is meaningful turns dw from a 2-button-rotation to a 3-button-rotation, still boring)
    b) the devs told us that dks would have empty cds

Also, who said anything regarding specific numbers here? You're arguing against... nobody?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fun is really objective, so it's hard to say.

If you enjoy enhance you may actually enjoy unholy a little more than frost, frost is fun IMO but very simple where as unholy is a little more complex. Mobility sucks as a DK but Howling Blast is a ranged AOE so when things are slightly out of reach you still have something to spam.

As for a warrior, it's my wife's main and I've been able to run it through LFR a couple times. What I've noticed is that the combat mobility is great but I've never been comfortable with the 2-part rotation, but that is likely due to lack of experience with it.