Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    i have to agree that immortality isn't a great concept, i think the mind can only take so much grief.

after a while i do think it would become a nightmare/living hell. being digital would more than likely be the same, trapped as a virtual conciousness not able to experience the basic senses, it would be as close to death as is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I'd find eternity much more depressing, I'm not sure I could fathom a much worse punishment. Some more time would be nice, sure, but I mean... forever is a LONG time. It's forever. I'd imagine anyone would eventually try to kill themselves.
    Well, then you'd get the best of both worlds really - living a million+ years and THEN death.

I'd take that over 80 years and then death. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Imagine all the things you could learn if you lived forever though. All the amazing places you could see in a robotic body. You may actually get to help colonize a planet.
    I'd rather see life as a gift given and making the most of the one i have then thinking I'm entitled to that gift forever.

Even the suns die out. And when our sun dies, so will all life left on our planet.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    You'd have to be a sociopath to think that was a good idea.

It's a good idea. And lol at the pic
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

I'd rather see life as a gift given and making the most of the one i have then thinking I'm entitled to that gift forever.

Even the suns die out. And when our sun dies, so will all life left on our planet.
    Heh by the time that sun actually expands to a dangerous level in its death. If we aren't a type 2 / 3 civ we deserve to die out.

I'd find eternity much more depressing, I'm not sure I could fathom a much worse punishment. Some more time would be nice, sure, but I mean... forever is a LONG time. It's forever. I'd imagine anyone would eventually try to kill themselves.
    I agree, I'd just like to live until I feel like I've lived long enough, so just install a user only useable off switch in my robotic body for when I feel like snuffing the torch.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Well, then you'd get the best of both worlds really - living a million+ years and THEN death.

I'd take that over 80 years and then death. :P
    Same. I'd rather have a good long life and get to experience things and die happy, when living forever and everything becoming meaningless.
    #boycottchina

It's obviously depressing from my point of view considering I've already expressed the opposite?
    I suppose. Me honestly I felt like I already have lived a fulfilling life exploring the world so far since my job lets me do so. I have already experienced the things I wanted too and I am happy with my life now.

It's better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way.
    Last edited by Yami; 2014-05-01 at 07:40 PM.

Do you really want to live long enough to get to the point of depression that you'd want to kill yourself simply to cease existence, though? I would be pretty fine dying at 80, having over half a century of accomplishments and kind of just let go and be content knowing that it was an expected inevitability.

Living until you're just entirely sick of life doesn't sound that great
    I think it just takes a different kind of person. People who love exploration and want to keep exploring until they've seen the entire universe or until the universe burns out would be perfect. And if they succumb to depression there's nothing wrong with launching yourself into the sun.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

[COLOR>"#417394"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

Eh, I'll take two arms, two legs, two eyes, a chest, and the goddamn badass sunglasses.
    I want to see a Deus Ex-future before I die - that architecture is amazing. Too bad that futuristic architecture probably won't be common place in Sweden before my death/..

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it just takes a different kind of person. People who love exploration and want to keep exploring until they've seen the entire universe or until the universe burns out would be perfect. And if they succumb to depression there's nothing wrong with launching yourself into the sun.
    you say you would want to live forever now. How do you know you will feel that way in 40 years? You might realize living forever is terrible but to late to change it.
    #boycottchina

Up until yesterday when I saw some scenes from the new Robocop movie I would have said yes! hell yes! to this question.

But the scene when they showed him what was left of him was ... wow ... just tough to see and imagine how that felt.

Deleted
    why in the world wouldn't I ?

- - - Updated - - -

you say you would want to live forever now. How do you know you will feel that way in 40 years? You might realize living forever is terrible but to late to change it.
    how can it ever be too late to change it? you can still kill yourself even if you're a cyborg

....I came here expecting

OT: Absolutely. I would rather live for 1000 years as a robot than rot away at 60 as a human.
    I think that would cause some interesting changes to the world. Namely, one thing thats kept humanity afloat was the fact that every generation there's a brand new set of minds. If people started living for 200+ years, that would slow down. People who grow up a certain way have a hard time accepting new things, o matter how old they are. Take a look at the 80+ year olds right now, playing cards instead of videogames, preferring records over mp3s, still thinking blacks or gays are a lesser race. Right now, I can honestly say my computer doesn't have a right to vote, or own property. But who's to say my great-grandchildren won't think differently? Should I have the right to vote against them, when positive change is at stake? I know I would have that chance; there's no age limit on voting right now. But maybe there would need to be, if people live this long.
    Last edited by Amnaught; 2014-05-01 at 07:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're all Cylons, humanity no longer has a place in the future
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

10+ Year Old Account
    You are reading far too much into "forever".

Let's define "forever" as "for as long as you want to live" for the purposes of this discussion. In this context, it's always possible to get dead if you really want to.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

would i become the robot? or would i die and the robot would go on living as me? could i put my consciousness inside it with only selected memories? some things i'd really like to forget...

if the robot is me, my consciousness, i would totally do it. if it's not me, just a copy of my me, i wouldn't. if i could remove memories before becoming the robot, then hell yes i would do that.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2014-05-01 at 08:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Live forever? Fuck no. I'm not sure a person can handle living forever. It sounds horrible. I'm perfectly fine dying at the speed i am now, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Hands down yeah, the end scares me, just falling asleep into nothingness.

Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities!
    Life is death, merely prolonged from birth till 'death' as we call it. Once you are born you begin to die, and living forever would only lead to sorrow, grief, pain and insanity. Positive things have diminishing returns, but negative things only get more negative the more you experience them.

Given an infinite amount of time, all positives fade away but all negatives stay forever. Even if you lived forever, everything else would be temporary. To many, death is a release from the suffering of life, and given enough time every human would eventually wish for death, for that 'terribly final' moment where stress, anxiety, pain, sorrow, grief and God knows what else comes to an end, where the suffering of life is finally put to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Live forever? Fuck no. I'm not sure a person can handle living forever. It sounds horrible. I'm perfectly fine dying at the speed i am now, thank you very much.
    Your avatar makes this post all the better. Ha ha! Take that Taftvalue, now I posted it first!
    Last edited by spinner981; 2014-05-01 at 08:11 PM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    your avatar works really well with that post

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Life is death, merely prolonged from birth till 'death' as we call it. Once you are born you begin to die, and living forever would only lead to sorrow, grief, pain and insanity. Positive things have diminishing returns, but negative things only get more negative the more you experience them.

Given an infinite amount of time, all positives fade away but all negatives stay forever. Even if you lived forever, everything else would be temporary. To many, death is a release from the suffering of life, and given enough time every human would eventually wish for death, for that 'terribly final' moment where stress, anxiety, pain, sorrow, grief and God knows what else comes to an end, where the suffering of life is finally put to death.
    Are you the late and great Alan watts?