Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    That can't be true. When I worked at a Pizza Hut we had plenty of muslim staff and customers, they couldn't handle pork so we made any pizzas with it on as well as keeping seperate cutting utensils for it, but outside of that there was never an issue.

All I can think is that the store is completely staffed by Muslims and therefore they have no way to prepare a pork sandwich.
    It was somewhat of an exaggeration, although there are people who are like that.

Deleted
    why don't they offer both? what i get from subway has both ham and bacon in it, so won't be going there anymore :\

wonder if the one near me is doing it, a big muslim community here, but even bigger non-muslim, would seem weird to remove items to cater to a minority here.

I do like that the National Review is suddenly up in arms about a business decision. Free market, amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous and the best part if you protest these shit you are a "racist" or something.
    You hit the nail on the head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous and the best part if you protest these shit you are a "racist" or something.
    Yup, there's no other reason to protest it seems. Not like billions of people love pork or anything.

I hope they lose lots of business.

Deleted
    I don't eat at Subway often (rarely now actually) but most of the times it would be BLT/Subway melts. Replacing bacon with something else ensures I pretty much won't eat there now, and I'm sure there are others in the same boat. I don't mind if people don't want to eat bacon or meat or whatever based on their personal beliefs/preferences but denying others the pleasure is annoying.

Did a lot of folk refuse to eat there because they serve non-halal meat or something? Is the halal alternative cheaper? Because there's no way this isn't motivated by cash.

They give in way to easy, why not serve both?

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    would seem weird to remove items to cater to a minority here.
    I thought that's what it's all about and if you disagree you're a racist?

surely they have the choice of ordering food that doesn't include pork so how does it being on the menu as an option for other people have any effect on them at all? it's not just stupid it's also bad business
    they can just as easily advertise it as an option and that way appeal to both sides rather than making themselves and the extremists who demand such idiocy (who tend to be the vocal minority who give others a bad reputation) look like complete idiots

10+ Year Old Account
    So to summarize... "businesses should be free to do anything they want in pursuit of money.... unless it's something islamic".
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't see a problem. I would no longer be going to those Subways though, as they'd be unable to serve my normal order.
    Ditto. The local Jimmy John's would be raking in a lot more business from me. (Do they have those in the UK?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Ditto. The local Jimmy John's would be raking in a lot more business from me. (Do they have those in the UK?)
    If they don't they're missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    So to summarize... "businesses should be free to do anything they want in pursuit of money.... unless it's something islamic".
    You have to toss the word racist in there somewhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I thought that's what it's all about and if you disagree you're a racist?

well i got no problem with them offering an alternative to religous people, but to completely remove options from stores because some customers don't like it, seems odd. just hoping the one near me doesn't do it, because i like subway, but i always get one with ham and bacon, so they'll lose my business if i can't get that :\

There are 1500 or so Subway outlets in the UK. Of these, 185 are taking part in the new menu.

It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to realise that the 185 restaurants taking part are probably located in areas with large Muslim populations. Businesses exist to cater to the needs of their customers, not the other way around. This is a complete nothing story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    They are free to do it, but good luck winning more customers by cutting your menu in half for the majority of your population. They had the option to serve both, they didnt take it, people are calling them out for what they are, idiots.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    If they don't they're missing out.

no

i think subway is the only national sandwhich/sub chain. most towns have local sandwhich shops but honestly they don't usually taste as good to me as subway.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    surely they have the choice of ordering food that doesn't include pork so how does it being on the menu as an option for other people have any effect on them at all? it's not just stupid it's also bad business
    they can just as easily advertise it as an option and that way appeal to both sides rather than making themselves and the extremists who demand such idiocy (who tend to be the vocal minority who give others a bad reputation) look like complete idiots
    This is what I don't get. Why can't they have a Halal option or something (so the staff know if someone asks for that, wash the knife, change your gloves etc. so it doesn't touch pork) instead of saying "no more pork, only halal" which is removing the choice from one to give to the other. It's like if you are a vegetarian you mention it or whatever; like I'm allergic to fresh tomatoes so when I ask for something without tomatoes I specifically say that so the preparer knows to be extra sanitary. Why can't that be done now? Why can't saying "I'd like a six-inch turkey, but can you please make sure it is Halal-prepared" work?

If it's in an area with a large Muslim population then I kind of see the point of this, however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I spoke to my friends about this and we all agreed to boycott subway. If we cant get bacon and ham we will go elsewhere.
    185 stores out of 1,500 in the UK (something of a surprise that there are 1,500 Subway stores in the UK), and it will only be the ones in areas with a large Muslim population, so I doubt Subway in Gunwharf Quays will be affected...go up the stairs and you can have a Wagamama's anyway.

Deleted
    Muslims make up 4.8% of the population according to the latest census, what bright spark decided that it was a good idea to cater to such a small minority and drive away the vast majority?