Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

You love exploration but you read MMO C's front page: I don't understand hypocrisy

How can someone tell me that one of the major reasons they love removal of flight is because it promotes exploration, immersion and discovery, but then they're on the front page of MMO C every day looking at maps, art, mob spawn locations, quest chains, quest spoilers, practically everything that is WoD.

You have to understand, here and now, that this is hypocrisy, in no way meant in a pejorative way. It sounds like a bad word, but it's not, it just describes people who say one thing but then they act against that thing themselves while still claiming it.

You cannot tell me you:

- love exploration
    - love immersion
    - love discovery

...but by the time the expansion launches you've already explored and discovered over 80% of Draenor by reading leaks on MMO C.

This is worse than flying, at least flying places you in the game and forces you to discover locations and features by yourself.

I'm going to be the first to say that I don't look at all of those pictures and the only info I pay attention to on the front page are the class changes.

thread closed and derailed.

You're assuming that everyone who comes to MMO reads every detail. I come to see changes made to my class, and read those, but skim over anything else as not to spoil it, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm also okay with no flying, I've also farmed almost 200 mounts so I would be one who was greatly affected by not being able to use all the flying mounts I took time to farm.

Quote Originally Posted by HippopotamusMaximus View Post
    How can someone tell me that one of the major reasons they love removal of flight is because it promotes exploration, immersion and discovery, but then they're on the front page of MMO C every day looking at maps, art, mob spawn locations, quest chains, quest spoilers, practically everything that is WoD.

You have to understand, here and now, that this is hypocrisy, in no way meant in a pejorative way. It sounds like a bad word, but it's not, it just describes people who say one thing but then they act against that thing themselves while still claiming it.

You cannot tell me you:

- love exploration
    - love immersion
    - love discovery

...but by the time the expansion launches you've already explored and discovered over 80% of Draenor by reading leaks on MMO C.

This is worse than flying, at least flying places you in the game and forces you to discover locations and features by yourself.
    I go on mmo-champ once a day. I love exploration. I support taking flying away. We simply don't click to expand any of the maps or anything like that. If I catch a little glimpse of something in a thumbnail I'm not going to ruin anything. Flying is going away in Draenor, deal with it. Stop bitching. Stop making new threads with new angles to try and convince the people who support it otherwise. The only thing you really want is to fly over everything the game has to offer to kill a single mob and fly away. Real fun.

Quote Originally Posted by IzoGray View Post
    I'm going to be the first to say that I don't look at all of those pictures and the only info I pay attention to on the front page are the class changes.

thread closed and derailed.
    You don't decide when a thread gets closed, an administrator decides when a thread gets closed.

You know why? Because you don't speak for everybody. There are surely people who do look at everything and at the same time wave the exploration and discovery banner, and my future be damned if every single one of them who does the latter denies the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzakid2093 View Post
    I go on mmo-champ once a day. I love exploration. I support taking flying away. We simply don't click to expand any of the maps or anything like that. If I catch a little glimpse of something in a thumbnail I'm not going to ruin anything. Flying is going away in Draenor, deal with it. Stop bitching. Stop making new threads with new angles to try and convince the people who support it otherwise. The only thing you really want is to fly over everything the game has to offer to kill a single mob and fly away. Real fun.
    I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise of their views, I'm just pointing out how hypocritical some of them are, and you know who you are. Don't try to tell me how I play the game and why I use flying, and don't call me a bitch. If you can't control yourself while flying and not have fun flying it doesn't meant the rest of us can't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    How would I know where the awesome stuff is?
    "Here's a world... uhhh... good luck?"

Same as in the real world - tell me where's awesome and I'd love to go there. Ask me to find something awesome, no fucking way.
    Isn't that what no flying people are fighting for? Discovering everything and searching on foot for everything and being amazed when they find something? I thought you didn't want to be told anything, I thought you loved every inch of Draenor and wanted to map it out by yourselves. Isn't that what developer appreciation is?

7+ Year Old Account
    So we are hypocrites. We accept that, and so what? If those of us that do what you claim we do, and we like it, who cares? Clearly it doesn't destroy all sense of immersion. Seeing a picture of a place isn't the same as being there yourself. I don't get the point of this thread; is it to get people to admit they are hypocrites or is it to get people to change their views about flying in game because it some how justifies us looking at spoilers...? If the point is to get people to realize they are hypocrites, then this thread isn't constructive at all.

Also, how do you know everyone or those who voice about discovery and immersion read the front page of MMOC for spoilers? I avoid spoilers. Whats the point of this thread again?
    Last edited by Curlyfry; 2014-05-01 at 06:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I don't explore I see no reason to. I go from A to B. I autorun without watching where I am going autofly setting myself as straight as possible and not watching. I don't have the explorer title and don't care about getting it. Exploration is not a factor for me, it is wasting time.

Deleted
    Love exploration and discovery but at the same time i'm very curious. The last trait is probably the motivating factor for the first two so i cant see what would be the problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    The continent of Draenor will be huge. Even looking at the pictures won't do it justice. Seeing pictures isn't the same as exploring, not even close. When you see it for yourself rendered by the game on your screen it is worlds different and much more satisfying. Looking at MMO-C screens is just like an appetizer. All it does is make you hungry for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyfry View Post
    So we are hypocrites. We accept that, and so what? If those of us that do what you claim we do, and we like it, who cares? Clearly it doesn't destroy all sense of immersion. Seeing a picture of a place isn't the same as being there yourself. I don't get the point of this thread; is it to get people to admit they are hypocrites or is it to get people to change their views about flying in game because it some how justifies us looking at spoilers...? If the point is to get people to realize they are hypocrites, then this thread isn't constructive at all.

Also, how do you know everyone or those who voice about discovery and immersion read the front page of MMOC for spoilers? I avoid spoilers. Whats the point of this thread again?
    This isn't real life. You can't experience anything you see on the screen. Everything about the digital world IS PICTURES. There is NO EXPERIENCE. No touch. No smell. No taste. No fear. No bewilderment. It's like staring at a painting. You can see the Mona Lisa online or in the Louvre it's the same thing. You may experience the smell of the Louvre but it won't help you experience the Mona Lisa. It's a painting. Behind a glass. You can't even touch it.

Who cares? Nobody cares, it just forfeits your right at argument against flying though. You say you don't like it for a reason then you admit that reason is fictitious, as you just did. That's the point of this thread. Making your realize your argument, at least in your case, is garbage. It's fluff. It doesn't' stand up because you yourself don't respect it. It's like someone telling me they care about the environment then clubbing 10 baby seals and pissing on their carcass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    The continent of Draenor will be huge. Even looking at the pictures won't do it justice. Seeing pictures isn't the same as exploring, not even close. When you see it for yourself rendered by the game on your screen it is worlds different and much more satisfying. Looking at MMO-C screens is just like an appetizer. All it does is make you hungry for more.
    What's the difference between looking at a video or a picture or seeing it rendered in real time in game? It's just digital art man, it's not real life. It's not like watching 2 knights fighting with real swords and armor at a Renaissance Faire, it's just watching 2 pictures on the screen fighting. It's like I replied to Curlyfry, you spoil yourself first with still art and video art then you claim you're actually doing the exploration and being rewarded for it.

How are you being rewarded for exploring when you already know what you're gonna find there?

This isn't real life. You can't experience anything you see on the screen. Everything about the digital world IS PICTURES. There is NO EXPERIENCE. No touch. No smell. No taste. No fear. No bewilderment. It's like staring at a painting. You can see the Mona Lisa online or in the Louvre it's the same thing. You may experience the smell of the Louvre but it won't help you experience the Mona Lisa. It's a painting. Behind a glass. You can't even touch it.

Who cares? Nobody cares, it just forfeits your right at argument against flying though. You say you don't like it for a reason then you admit that reason is fictitious, as you just did. That's the point of this thread. Making your realize your argument, at least in your case, is garbage. It's fluff. It doesn't' stand up because you yourself don't respect it. It's like someone telling me they care about the environment then clubbing 10 baby seals and pissing on their carcass.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the difference between looking at a video or a picture or seeing it rendered in real time in game? It's just digital art man, it's not real life. It's not like watching 2 knights fighting with real swords and armor at a Renaissance Faire, it's just watching 2 pictures on the screen fighting. It's like I replied to Curlyfry, you spoil yourself first with still art and video art then you claim you're actually doing the exploration and being rewarded for it.

How are you being rewarded for exploring when you already know what you're gonna find there?
    Lol.
    Are you touching, tasting or smelling the two knights fighting with real swords?

That you'd compare still pictures to video games is honestly just idiotic. It's a completely different experience. If there were no experience difference, people would just look at galleries of pictures all day instead of playing video games. Do you watch game trailers and decide that you've already had the full experience from the trailer and don't have any need to play the game?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Lol.
    Are you touching, tasting or smelling the two knights fighting with real swords?

That you'd compare still pictures to video games is honestly just idiotic. It's a completely different experience. If there were no experience difference, people would just look at galleries of pictures all day instead of playing video games. Do you watch game trailers and decide that you've already had the full experience from the trailer and don't have any need to play the game?
    This right here. Op, you are like people that can't tell the difference between SD and HD tv.

7+ Year Old Account
    --SNIP--

Don't post spam or memes
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-05-01 at 11:08 PM.

You cannot tell me you:

- love exploration
    - love immersion
    - love discovery

Embrace yourself as I am about to literally shatter your limited perspective of people's preferences, personalities and all this kind of stuff.

1. I love exploration. That's my very favourite part/aspect of the game. I just love going around zones, finding cool hidden spots.
    2. I strongly support no-flying in Draenor atleast during 6.0 for multiple reasons, one of which is exploration.
    3. I check MMO-Champion more than 10 times per day during these periods when info about new expansion is being dug up every few hours. I thorougly survery every single screenshot from the upcoming expansion, I read every single line of text containing info about the upcoming expansion. I know every single bit of information about the upcoming expansion and have seen every single screenshot from it, I don't miss anything at all.
    4. And when the expansion comes out, I level one character, I level another character, I level yet another character. And every single fucking time I enjoy re-exploring those zones because they are so incredibly beautiful. To hell with your stupid, ignorant assumptions.

--SNIP--

Don't post memes or spam
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-05-01 at 11:09 PM.

reading about it and watching the pictures is different from being there and standing in it.

there is a huge different between seeing a photo of a painting and being in its presence.

watching a 360 degree photo capture of the hagia sofia is different from actually being there.

Reading about something on MMO-C and running around that same place on your char are different experiences. one more fruitful than the other. I feel no loss of immersion, curiosity or dulling of my sense of adventure and exploration.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2014-05-01 at 07:12 PM.

Isn't that what no flying people are fighting for?
    No, it isn't. I love exploring and hunting for all the different stuff (hell yeah MoP rares, exploration and rare items) but still read the frontpage. I even go to wowhead to search for the stuff!
    Does that mean I would like to achieve and gather all that with a flying mount? Nope, not the slightest - because it is boring as hell. I fly up high, set the point with TomTom and alt-tab fly there, read MMO-C, wowhead or wowinsider in the mean time. I like no flying because it "forces" me to be IN the game instead of being alt-tabbed. That makes me play the game I want to play and not using a more convenient method (don't try the "then don't fly" crap, because not using the utility of flying is stupid).

You don't decide when a thread gets closed, an administrator decides when a thread gets closed.

You know why? Because you don't speak for everybody. There are surely people who do look at everything and at the same time wave the exploration and discovery banner, and my future be damned if every single one of them who does the latter denies the former.
    The whine is strong with this one.

Seriously. A MODERATOR should close this. This kind of drivel is plastered everywhere in other, larger threads.

It would be a healthy choice for you to not take WoW so seriously.

Life will go on and WoD will be good. The worlds not so bad really.

Fortunately, not every aspect of exploration is pasted on the MMO-Champion front-page. In fact, I'd say that the vast majority of exploration content is not pictured on this site.

So, no, there's no hypocrisy. If you want to make a pro-or-anti-flying post, then be honest and straight-forward about it. Don't hide it under this bullshit. Okay?
    Last edited by Belloc; 2014-05-01 at 07:22 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu