Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Skinning friendly unit names (NOT nameplates).

So a question for all you fine LUA folks out there; how does one edit/skin the friendly names (NOT nameplates!)?

Kaytemoss did something awesome with one of his UIs using Dos Nameplates I think, and I would very much like to do something like this so that friendly names are properly visible. I've linked the video so y'all know what I'm talking about:

At present I use Headline for enemy namplates as it is nice and simple and would like to avoid a complex addon if at all possible. To be honest, I'm amazed there isn't an addon to reskin the default friendly names already! Any help would be most appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Gymertron View Post
    So a question for all you fine LUA folks out there; how does one edit/skin the friendly names (NOT nameplates!)?
    To my knowledge, you don't. Names are part of the 3D world and not interface elements. They cannot be skinned or modded.

However, you can mod nameplates to be basically invisible except for the name to make it appear skinned. It would be my guess that is what the person in the Video did.

I'm 99% sure that Kayte is using tidyplates there, as I have been able to do that with my tidyplates.

Quote Originally Posted by Fefina View Post
    I'm 99% sure that Kayte is using tidyplates there, as I have been able to do that with my tidyplates.
    Kayte is using DocsNameplates

Names are part of the 3D world and not interface elements. They cannot be skinned or modded.
    Yeah, that was what I kinda suspected.

you can mod nameplates to be basically invisible except for the name to make it appear skinned.
    If anyone knows a simple way to do this I would be eternally grateful!

And that addon has LUA errors coming out of its rectum which is a huge pain in the ass. Bugsack goes nuts when I try and use it and eventually just forces me to disable the addon.

Its a colossal ballache as I find that the Blizz friendly names are basically unreadable. If they added a thin outline and made them a static size rather than scaling as you zoom out it would be fine, but as is they are totally pointless.

And that addon has LUA errors coming out of its rectum which is a huge pain in the ass. Bugsack goes nuts when I try and use it and eventually just forces me to disable the addon.
    In the comments a addon called sqwNameplates (http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/sqwnameplates) is mentioned, did you check that out?

Quote Originally Posted by thebdc View Post
    In the comments a addon called sqwNameplates (http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/sqwnameplates) is mentioned, did you check that out?
    It seems to be a rewrite of Docs. I've not had much luck with it (though I've not had a lot of time of late). What puts me off is that it is a pretty heavy resource hog, both CPU and memory, and I try to avoid addons that are hideously CPU heavy. Ideally I'd like to find a way to hardcode this with Headline, but I'm not that good with LUA. I'll take another look at sqwNameplates and see what I can do with it this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Persheron View Post
    Okay. Still, you can definitely do that with tidyplates.

I'll take a look at that.

Okay. Still, you can definitely do that with tidyplates.
    I'm almost 100% sure that you CANNOT do this with Tidy Plates without completely butchering the code which I really want to avoid with a complex addon like that. If you can show a brother how exactly one does make Tidy Plates do this I would be very interested to see that.

- - - Updated - - -

Had a fiddle with Tidy Plates and I think I've found a way to do it using one of the themes; however, I need some LUA help so I'm going to move my questions to the Ask it!/Mods Edition thread.

Hey pps

It was indeed done with DocsNameplates back then. Definitely had to rewrite quite a bit of the addon to make it work so I would certainly not recommend to go down that route.

A friend and guild mate of mine, Valheru, has managed to get a fairly similar set up using tidyplates.
    You can see what it looks like on that Garrosh intro I posted a while ago...

Try poking him on his twitch channel or ingame and if he's in a good mood he might share his tidyplates setting with you

Hope it helps,
    Kayte.
    MW Monk - Bilgamesh
    Resto shaman - Hexxtra - UI on Wowinterface
    Holy paladin - Kaytemoss - UI on Wowinterface

I'll take a look at that.

I'm almost 100% sure that you CANNOT do this with Tidy Plates without completely butchering the code which I really want to avoid with a complex addon like that. If you can show a brother how exactly one does make Tidy Plates do this I would be very interested to see that.

- - - Updated - - -

Had a fiddle with Tidy Plates and I think I've found a way to do it using one of the themes; however, I need some LUA help so I'm going to move my questions to the Ask it!/Mods Edition thread.
    You can do this with Tidyplates without messing with lua. However it might have been tidyplates: threatplates that created the effect. I'm going to mess around with it this week to see if I can recreate it.

Never found a good addon to show friendly names like Docs did, that was amazing, the rest of the addon not so much

After a HUGE amount of farting around I finally got Tidyplates to do it with the headline mode, but ultimately I find Tidyplates ugly as sin so I had a fiddle with the LUA in one of the skins and found it a massive pain to get looking good.

Using the Quatra skin (the same one that Tidy Plates: Threat Plates is based on) I found that it didn't want to play nice with the textures and borders I like (dM3 texture and a simple 1 pixel border). I'll keep at it and try and get something useable out of it though.

It's a shame that Tidyplates doesn't have more easily configurable aesthetic options and Sharedmedia compatibility.

It's a shame that Tidyplates doesn't have more easily configurable aesthetic options and Sharedmedia compatibility.
    Assuming you can disable all text based options, you could simply replace the textures (statusbar, borders etc.) with invisible (zero alpha) ones. The CPU load would be the same, but you'd only see the names.

Its a dirty fix, but a simple one.

@Kaytemoss: I just recently returned after a year long break. The scene in the vid with the drawbridge in the Vale and all that. Is that stuff still available in game? I'd like to learn the story behind that. Any pointers (spoilerfree if possible) would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Lysiander; 2014-04-23 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysiander View Post
    Assuming you can disable all text based options, you could simply replace the textures (statusbar, borders etc.) with invisible (zero alpha) ones. The CPU load would be the same, but you'd only see the names.

Its a dirty fix, but a simple one.
    I really wish it was this simple. I have tried to do this, but the way in which the nameplates are built means that rather than a simple bar and border that can easily be swapped out, you need to fiddle A LOT with the LUA to make things fit. It's as if different parts are at a different scale, so having a health bar 110 pixels wide and 6 pixels high required a border that was 132 pixels wide and 14 pixels high etc., and to top that off, the border texture that was a simple 1 pixel border became zoomed in and appeared to be 5 or 6 pixels thick.

This also causes issues with the placement of the nameplates and even with targeting via nameplates (it was so bad that I couldn't use mouseover macros for interrupts or multi-dotting).

Anybody know the song that's used? Sounds two steps from hell-esque but I really want to know the exact song, sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysiander View Post
    @Kaytemoss: I just recently returned after a year long break. The scene in the vid with the drawbridge in the Vale and all that. Is that stuff still available in game? I'd like to learn the story behind that. Any pointers (spoilerfree if possible) would be appreciated.
    Welcome back
    I think most of it is extracted from the Siege of Orgrimmar trailer. It won't give you the whole story (the best way is still to do the awesome Garrosh questline in Pandaria) but that's a start!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slzQOyS5TqQ

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosblade View Post
    Anybody know the song that's used? Sounds two steps from hell-esque but I really want to know the exact song, sounds awesome.
    The song comes from Inception's OST
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVYl...utu.be&t=2m21s
    * edit - that's if you were asking about the garrosh intro's music obviously *
    Last edited by Kaytemoss; 2014-04-25 at 08:15 AM.
    MW Monk - Bilgamesh
    Resto shaman - Hexxtra - UI on Wowinterface
    Holy paladin - Kaytemoss - UI on Wowinterface

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytemoss View Post
    Welcome back
    I think most of it is extracted from the Siege of Orgrimmar trailer. It won't give you the whole story (the best way is still to do the awesome Garrosh questline in Pandaria) but that's a start!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slzQOyS5TqQ

- - - Updated - - -

The song comes from Inception's OST
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVYl...utu.be&t=2m21s
    * edit - that's if you were asking about the garrosh intro's music obviously *
    Nah I was talking about the OP's video

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosblade View Post
    Nah I was talking about the OP's video
    It says what the song is right in the youtube description...