Thread: Paladin comps

Paladin comps

Hello fellow denizens of the MMO Champion forums.

So a buddy of mine and I have been playing holy paladin/dk in 2v2 for a while now, but it has been rather painful this expansion. I've been playing the dk and it doesn't feel like dk compliments the paladin very well. Call me out if it's actually good and we are just being bad. Suffice to say we're stuck at 1700 rating.

Maybe we will have a bit of fun before the expansion ends and I'd like to try a new class with the holy paladin that will compliment it the best of any class. Do you mind giving me what you think would be the best comp for a holy paladin for 2v2? Top three would be ideal

Disclaimer: Due to time constraints and us being IRL friends this is mostly the way we are able to play together, hence not playing 3v3 and not changing the paladin.

Why does DK not feel right? With Freedom you should have close to 100% uptime on your target. With Focus Grips, CoI, Stuns, you should be able to peel for your partner while still staying on your target.

But if you want another class, Warrior/Pally is a classic 2v2.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

Quote Originally Posted by Cirayne24 View Post
    Why does DK not feel right? With Freedom you should have close to 100% uptime on your target. With Focus Grips, CoI, Stuns, you should be able to peel for your partner while still staying on your target.

But if you want another class, Warrior/Pally is a classic 2v2.
    Either paladin is sitting in a lot of cc or when being focused needs to use the freedoms for himself. Also freedoms get dispelled/stolen quite quickly. Peels seem okay, but then we are just waiting for dampening before I can even hope for getting a kill. Again, correct me if I'm wrong. Paladin's have some decent cc chains as well but for that he has to get close up which makes him vulnerable. Not debating; rather explaining my partner's train of thought. I'd like to carry and support as much as I can.

He seems worse at playing with a warrior than a dk, lol. Maybe his warrior buddy is just bad, I don't know. You chose the one class he is against. He almost got glad in TBC and is a good player though, so I have faith in his abilities.

I played a priest to 2.2k in 2v2 with monks, ferals and hunters. I found them to be amazing 2v2 partners as a healer (maybe not feral so much with paladin?). We weren't even pushing rating and it was like, "Woops, we're almost 2.2k." What do you think for holy paladin?
    Last edited by Aryah; 2014-05-02 at 12:08 PM.

Just worth mentioning since you didn't say a spec for the DK, he is playing unholy right? It would be vastly superior to Frost if you wanted to push rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Just worth mentioning since you didn't say a spec for the DK, he is playing unholy right? It would be vastly superior to Frost if you wanted to push rating.
    I'm the DK. I definitely play unholy. I've got the basics as well like good use of blood tap, focus interrupt/stun/grip/coi/etc, necrotics for burst, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryah View Post
    Either paladin is sitting in a lot of cc or when being focused needs to use the freedoms for himself. Also freedoms get dispelled/stolen quite quickly. Peels seem okay, but then we are just waiting for dampening before I can even hope for getting a kill. Again, correct me if I'm wrong. Paladin's have some decent cc chains as well but for that he has to get close up which makes him vulnerable. Not debating; rather explaining my partner's train of thought. I'd like to carry and support as much as I can.

He seems worse at playing with a warrior than a dk, lol. Maybe his warrior buddy is just bad, I don't know. You chose the one class he is against. He almost got glad in TBC and is a good player though, so I have faith in his abilities.

I played a priest to 2.2k in 2v2 with monks, ferals and hunters. I found them to be amazing 2v2 partners as a healer (maybe not feral so much with paladin?). We weren't even pushing rating and it was like, "Woops, we're almost 2.2k." What do you think for holy paladin?
    When I did some 2v2 with my pally friend Chairlift, he was aggressive. He'd Stun, follow up with Blind then LOS. He wasn't afraid to sit in CC, with bubble and trinket he was confident enough for me to do what I needed to in order to survive (I'm a rogue).

Personally I can't really stand DKs in PvP even though I played one in PvE all of Wrath. I know they are extremely good, but they aren't for me. I don't know anything about monks, but I know they are mini healers themselves with all the Defensives and heals they can put out. Either way, DK, Warrior, Monk, Hunter and Feral are pobably all good choices.

Monks are annoying as shit, and can't be kited, so if your pally needs the Freedom himself, that might be a better choice.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

Btw Anzen, small world. You're in my buddy Kagemoth's guild. If you play D3 you might've seen me in your clan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirayne24 View Post
    When I did some 2v2 with my pally friend Chairlift, he was aggressive. He'd Stun, follow up with Blind then LOS. He wasn't afraid to sit in CC, with bubble and trinket he was confident enough for me to do what I needed to in order to survive (I'm a rogue).
    See, that's part of the problem right there. DK's can do tons of damage but they can't take damage at all. If my partner is sitting in cc it becomes a big problem because I don't have much in the way of defensives. I could sit in blood presence with conversion up which is good for keeping off regular damage but it doesn't help against burst. If my partner has used his trinket and bubble and gets cc'ed when they burst I am pretty much dead. Also he needs to use trinket and bubble quickly because of the cc he is taking. He could sit in more cc and I could sit in more blood presence which works quite well, but it's boring as hell. We actually tried playing really defensively and waiting for dampening when I just pop cooldowns and one-shot someone. Works well but again... Boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryah View Post
    Btw Anzen, small world. You're in my buddy Kagemoth's guild. If you play D3 you might've seen me in your clan.

See, that's part of the problem right there. DK's can do tons of damage but they can't take damage at all. If my partner is sitting in cc it becomes a big problem because I don't have much in the way of defensives. I could sit in blood presence with conversion up which is good for keeping off regular damage but it doesn't help against burst. If my partner has used his trinket and bubble and gets cc'ed when they burst I am pretty much dead. Also he needs to use trinket and bubble quickly because of the cc he is taking. He could sit in more cc and I could sit in more blood presence which works quite well, but it's boring as hell. We actually tried playing really defensively and waiting for dampening when I just pop cooldowns and one-shot someone. Works well but again... Boring.
    That's part of how the game is played right now, force defensives/trinkets then burst when they cant defend. 2s suck.. I hate it because it literally can get to how you are playing (boring). That said, I'm not sure what else you can do... other classes might be the same.

I think monk might be the best choice actually. Great peals and cc. Great mobility. Can catch some cc going onto healer. If the healer gets cc'd it's not such a big deal because they are great at surviving (in 2s anyway).

When playing with monks I remember their sap being a great setup for me to come close range for a fear. Could help with paladin close range cc as well.

WW is amazing in 2's. Tremendous damage, healing, and mobility. Would certainly allow the paladin to keep HoF for himself, and with the amount of healing WW can do your paladin would be able to be more aggressive without worrying about you getting wrecked in a couple of GCDs, which is quite easy to do to a DK.

Alternatively, maybe you as the DK are being too aggressive? Unholy functions very well whittling the enemy down, saving garg/UF and death runes for when a kill target gets low and can't keep up with your DoTs and necrotics. You don't need to burst a target down like you would as frost.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    Alternatively, maybe you as the DK are being too aggressive? Unholy functions very well whittling the enemy down, saving garg/UF and death runes for when a kill target gets low and can't keep up with your DoTs and necrotics. You don't need to burst a target down like you would as frost.
    Hmmm I'll keep that in mind. Will try some games with that approach. Only thing that worries me is the boring turtle style. Like Cirayne24 mentioned maybe that's just the meta atm -- Turtle.

No no no. If you're playing hpally/dk you need to be constantly bombarding them with pressure. Depending on the comp you are playing against, have your dk sit in unholy presence whenever possible and let the hpally bomb heals. Come out the gates popping gargoyle when your proc trinkets are up and pile on the damage. Hpallys can do the longest solo cc-chain of any healer (except symb priests), so let him do it while you are going burst-mode.

Reading through some of the other posts it seems your pally needs to play a bit better. What comps do you struggle with? Other healer/dps or double dps? You are like, the hardcounter to double dps teams so you shouldn't have a whole lot of trouble with them. You just need to know that the game will end quickly and have your pally use his cds accordingly. Other healer/dps, with freedoms you as a dk will be damage king, but it can still be hard to land kills before dampening. Dks are super gear dependent too, so if you aren't at least 540 ilvl yet you are going to struggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    No no no. If you're playing hpally/dk you need to be constantly bombarding them with pressure. Depending on the comp you are playing against, have your dk sit in unholy presence whenever possible and let the hpally bomb heals. Come out the gates popping gargoyle when your proc trinkets are up and pile on the damage. Hpallys can do the longest solo cc-chain of any healer (except symb priests), so let him do it while you are going burst-mode.
    Ah well, that fits my style better (I'm the DK). The problem is that him coming out for cc makes him vulnerable considering that HoJ has a 10yd range. I think fear is longer, but it still has a cast time which makes it harder to land randomly. Of course blind is a cast AND needs to be casted up close. All of this is just made double as bad dps is on my healer in which case cc becomes much harder apart from my stuns and CoI.

I've been thinking he needs to wait for me to setup the cc with an asphyxiate or at least a CoI.

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    Reading through some of the other posts it seems your pally needs to play a bit better. What comps do you struggle with? Other healer/dps or double dps? You are like, the hardcounter to double dps teams so you shouldn't have a whole lot of trouble with them. You just need to know that the game will end quickly and have your pally use his cds accordingly. Other healer/dps, with freedoms you as a dk will be damage king, but it can still be hard to land kills before dampening. Dks are super gear dependent too, so if you aren't at least 540 ilvl yet you are going to struggle.
    We usually win against double dps as long as we don't make stupid mistakes. I can't really think of a specific healer dps comp, but generally when my healer is being hit by a lot of cc we will lose. Most of the time I will out damage their dps even when aggressively pooling blood tap/death runes, but with less damage they will land the kill because the damage happened during cc. I think hunters and monks probably annoy me the most though. I can't think of a healer I struggle with; I struggle more with healer playing well than any specific class. If they are keeping their distance and the dps peels well then it is a problem because then I can't focus interrupt or keep diseases on him as easily. Also then my healer follows theirs for cc. Sometimes I'll CoI the healer and lure their dps away, but they can cause even more problems for my own healer.

EDIT:

Often freedoms are dispelled/stolen off of me or my healer uses them on himself to stay alive.