Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Arrow Do HOLY priests suck ?

I never see Holy priest in raids. Not in normal, not in heroic, neither 10 nor 25 men.

Every priest healer is Disc spec.

Why is that? Do Holy priests suck at healing?

Less effort for similar or better results. What's up with your user name, are you trying hard to be witty or just insulting?
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Deleted
    Actually playing disc properly requires more effort than playing holy at the same level. Disc has alot of small things to watch and more buttons to use to min/max. Ofcourse you can often just dps and heal vis atonment and just press barrier/ps/T90 when needed and be just fine but lets not assume that Holy is somewhat really hard and thats why people don't play it.

IMO the main reason that disc is so popular compared to holy is the way that current healing model works. 90%+ of the fights favour disc beacuse, appart from constant tank damage, raid is being damaged on the set-in timers and disc can anticipate that and prepare absorbs. If there were more fights with constant raidwide damage or random spikes of damage holy would see much more play since when holy mastery doesn't go to overhealing it's throughput is much stronger than disc's. Also disc can much easier switch between dpsing and healing during low-damage phases while, holy thanks to chakra is stuck in it for some time.

Deleted
    It does not suck. But to play holy well (not excellent, just well) you need about thrice the focus you need to play discipline well. Hell, on farm encounters or in easy phases I just use my mouse macro that spams a few spells (PoM, AA, Attonement trio) and it performs too much.

Deleted
    Holy is itself is fine, put it into the current healing model with other healers and there isn't much room for it.
    Disc just sits above the rest. You can essentially do the same amount of healing as disc regardless of what your other healers are doing

holy fills the same niche as resto druid, mistweaver, and to an extent, resto shaman. Meanwhile, Disc is alone in the focused absorb niche. Why take a holy priest when you get the same toolset with 3 out of the 5 other healers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jewbacca View Post
    I never see Holy priest in raids. Not in normal, not in heroic, neither 10 nor 25 men.
    Every priest healer is Disc spec.
    Why is that? Do Holy priests suck at healing?

Hpriests are okay, it's just everybody else is way much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    holy fills the same niche as resto druid, mistweaver, and to an extent, resto shaman. Meanwhile, Disc is alone in the focused absorb niche. Why take a holy priest when you get the same toolset with 3 out of the 5 other healers?
    This here and the above comments on ease of play explain why Disc is more prevalent than Holy in raids. Disc is also significantly more forgiving than Holy of lower gear levels, so that makes it attractive. Why go Holy and contribute sub-par healing and twice the effort when you can go Disc and do great healing with relatively low levels of effort (depending on raid level of course! but if you're in LFR or Flex with those levels of gear, Disc will outperform Holy given equal player ability).

Every raid I've been in this tier that contains both types of healing Priest has the Disc outperform the Holy Priest. Disc is basically broken and overpowered, something that will be fixed in WoD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
    What's up with your user name, are you trying hard to be witty or just insulting?
    Maybe he's a very hirsute Jew?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

Deleted
    Why heal damage when you can just make your raid not take any?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    It does not suck. But to play holy well (not excellent, just well) you need about thrice the focus you need to play discipline well. Hell, on farm encounters or in easy phases I just use my mouse macro that spams a few spells (PoM, AA, Attonement trio) and it performs too much.
    We are not talking about LFR.

Can we just stop saying that a holy priest is hard to play ? xD

Only holy lovers play holy. If you like both, you will play the spec that performs better which is disc because of all the absorbs, not because it is easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    This here and the above comments on ease of play explain why Disc is more prevalent than Holy in raids. Disc is also significantly more forgiving than Holy of lower gear levels, so that makes it attractive. Why go Holy and contribute sub-par healing and twice the effort when you can go Disc and do great healing with relatively low levels of effort (depending on raid level of course! but if you're in LFR or Flex with those levels of gear, Disc will outperform Holy given equal player ability).

Every raid I've been in this tier that contains both types of healing Priest has the Disc outperform the Holy Priest. Disc is basically broken and overpowered, something that will be fixed in WoD.
    Eh. I have to disagree. Getting numbers with disc is very gear oriented (we didn't start to spiral out of control untill late-ToT, so at +535 avg Ilvl with proper gear). Keeping mana up as disc isn't if you just gem spirit as most new healers tend to, while it is as holy, though. That might be why you think it's "more forgiving", but generally, disc has a lower output at low levels than holy and thus requires more of you to perform on the same level.

And with that said, let's drop the whole "holy is so much harder to play than disc"-act. Use a few spells on CD like any other healer (even disc), and that's about it. Yea, hard stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
    Less effort for similar or better results. What's up with your user name, are you trying hard to be witty or just insulting?
    What's up with your user name, are you trying to be witty or just insulting?

Disc is just easier once you reach a certain gear level (and probably outgear the content you do). I don't have to micro-manage my spells too much and can just spam Smite/ Holy Fire/ Penance and drop Divine Star for the bigger spikes. However I like to switch to Holy for Malk and Thok. In the end Holy is fine, but inferior to Disc.

Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    What's up with your user name, are you trying to be witty or just insulting?
    What's up with your post, are you trying to be witty or can you contribute to the topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Eh. I have to disagree. Getting numbers with disc is very gear oriented (we didn't start to spiral out of control untill late-ToT, so at +535 avg Ilvl with proper gear). Keeping mana up as disc isn't if you just gem spirit as most new healers tend to, while it is as holy, though. That might be why you think it's "more forgiving", but generally, disc has a lower output at low levels than holy and thus requires more of you to perform on the same level.

And with that said, let's drop the whole "holy is so much harder to play than disc"-act. Use a few spells on CD like any other healer (even disc), and that's about it. Yea, hard stuff.
    I switched to Disc largely because I found Disc more forgiving in mediocre gear and I really don't like Chakra. Holy isn't hard to play, but does take more awareness of synergies in order to perform well; which is a fun mechanic, and one I like. Disc also allows for questing/leveling/dailies without having to go into the horrible Shadow spec (I hate Shadow), so that's nice too.
    Finally, as others have pointed out, Disc is *different* than the other healers, and that's a great change of pace.
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Okey dokey!"

Deleted
    There is four throughput oriented healing specs in game, one half and half (pala) and one absorb focused. It's statistical fact that most of the time your raid gets better mileage with priest going disc when three out of five possible healing classes can only do raw healing.

Disc is so easy even I can play it. That's it.

It also synergizes much better with throughput healers such as rdruid or rshaman (even if they feel not so great about it).

I think it was said best up here somewhere; holy lovers play holy. If you don't mind which spec you play, disc is easily superior.

WoD may offer a slight tipping in the balance however. Disc will always be top at the end of a tier though, just due to the way absorbs scale.

Personally, I'm a holy lover. And no, holy isn't hard to play, but to keep up you really have to know what you're doing. Disc is a bit more forgiving.

The irony is that Disc shouldn't be forgiving. As a damage mitigation spec it should require the player to be planning ahead, to be aware of what is going to happen, and prep their raid for dealing with the incoming damage. It should require the player to make intelligent use of their CDs and abilities, not just spam them when they're up and ultimately take a very pro-active approach which is different from the largely reactive nature of all the other healers.

But because it's a broken spec right now, it is more forgiving and generally easier to play.

"Okey dokey!"

The irony is that Disc shouldn't be forgiving. As a damage mitigation spec it should require the player to be planning ahead, to be aware of what is going to happen, and prep their raid for dealing with the incoming damage. It should require the player to make intelligent use of their CDs and abilities, not just spam them when they're up and ultimately take a very pro-active approach which is different from the largely reactive nature of all the other healers.

But because it's a broken spec right now, it is more forgiving and generally easier to play.
    Yes, I agree. It does take some talent to play it exceptionally well though. But I'm glad that they're making significant changes in WoD.

Deleted

It puzzles me how Blizzard could've made the same mistake 3 times in a row. It wasn't forgiving at the start of MoP; on the contrary. Then, it got buffed, and ever since its been OP for 3 patches in a row. The wheels of balance grind in odd directions at Blizzard.