Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I liked both, but give the slight edge to New Vegas.

both really great games with a lot of explorations and what not, try them both I say

I really loved Fallout 3 at first, its only real letdown is the level cap meaning that the game becomes trivial when you've completed like 20% of the map, making further exploration fairly dull. And the ending. Which I hear is changed in the DLC but... changing that ending is almost worse than having it in the first place. Still, I never played that DLC so I can't really comment.

The start and middle of the game though, wow.

I have NV sitting in my Steam account and is part of my huge backlog of games I meant to get around to playing. Sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

As much as I love New Vegas over Fallout 3, Fallout 3 has one major thing going for it that New Vegas lacks in: Three Dog.

I fucking love Three Dog. He was so much more personable than Mr. New Vegas, since he actually knows you... and maybe it's just me, but he repeated his lines infinitely less than Mr. New Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    So at the risk of basically starting a game vs. game thread, I'm starting a game vs. game thread.

Recently I've gotten the itch to play something RPGish with guns, and these 2 titles are at the top of my list. Were New Vegas a simple XPac, then it would be no big deal...but since its basically a different game I really have to pick one. And honestly, I'm having a difficult time.

Originally, I played through and beat FallOut 3 way back before it got any patches or DLC and the ending was a Game Over scenario. I know its gotten better since them with a few DLC's. However, I've also heard that New Vegas is a bit more immersive and has a lot of elements reminiscent of Fall Out 2. So really...what are the Pro's/Con's of the 2 titles?

Honestly if you play on PC both download the mod a tale of two wastelands.

They're both awesome games. If I had to pick one though, I'd go with New Vegas, with all of the DLC and modded to hell. Once you apply a shader mod to it, it becomes an absolutely gorgeous game (try turning the shaders off and on from within the game, it's like night and day with the color palette), along with days upon days of content from the DLC and mods.

Of course, you could always get both and use the Tale of Two Wastelands mod, which merges Fallout 3 with NV (no map-only merge crap, I mean fully functional Fallout 3 that's seamlessly integrated into NV, while leaving both games individually moddable).

I preferred FO3 more, mostly because it allowed me to explore a lot more, and I like the DLC better. NV was fun, but all the different factions annoyed me. And Three Dog was amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    both they are like 5 bucks each at gamestop

3 is more open world based and constrains you will fewer consequences for doing random shit, It is really fun, but like with many bethesda games, the main story is.... meh.... The DLC content is also pretty meh at least compared to NY and are all short, except for point lookout.

NV has a much better story/characters, but is very story based. It feels that random exploring is constrained. NV also has the better DLC, the play order matters for the subplot. Honest Hearts which is interchangeable with Old World blues, then its dead money, and finally lonesome road.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2014-05-03 at 04:51 AM.

Enjoyed both games, however I felt Fallout 3 was the better of the two. It felt easier for me to fall into my character and enjoy the world from his perspective. NV I always felt like someone else looking in and making a choice here and there. The immersion added by leaving the vault is immense.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for the good/evil nature of the games... I hope they fix it in 4.

Skyrim did not feel very mustache twirling when you did evil things. It had the "because I wanted to" or the "because it benefited me" vibe. Oblivion even with its semi cartoony nature had a similar vibe if you went the evil route. Heck Skyrim almost encourages you to go thr anti hero or darker character route with many quests.... even the good guy ones!

fallout 3 was veeerrrryyyyy evil cartoon villain and NV felt just as silly when you were evil. Being evil just didnt feel like... fun. I mean

what is there to actually gain in blowing up megaton?
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2014-05-03 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    A better vanilla house imo and giving that one guy what he wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like both a lot but Fallout 3 is easily the superior game. It has much better atmosphere, the capitol wasteland is much more interesting than the mojave (it actually feels post apocalyptic vs. something more akin to the australian outback with giant scorpions and roman legionaries with guns running around). I think the story was overall better in FO3 and the exploration was more fun. Also the DLC was much better. FONV pretty much had 1 good DLC (Old World Blues) and the rest were garbage. All of the FO3 DLC ranged from decent to amazing in my book. It's just a better value. Like I said though, I enjoyed both a lot but I'd recommend FO3 over FONV any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    I like both a lot but Fallout 3 is easily the superior game. It has much better atmosphere, the capitol wasteland is much more interesting than the mojave (it actually feels post apocalyptic vs. something more akin to the australian outback with giant scorpions and roman legionaries with guns running around). I think the story was overall better in FO3 and the exploration was more fun. Also the DLC was much better. FONV pretty much had 1 good DLC (Old World Blues) and the rest were garbage. All of the FO3 DLC ranged from decent to amazing in my book. It's just a better value. Like I said though, I enjoyed both a lot but I'd recommend FO3 over FONV any day of the week.
    I agree, Fallout 3 had more of the old Fallout feeling. FNV just felt like a Western but with broken down cars and buildings everywhere. But I did like FNV quality-of-life improvements over FO3.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

why not both! but if only one def Fallout 3, New Vegas seemed like a giant expansion for 3. was rly good, but no were near as good as 3, imho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I think New Vegas is better than Fallout 3 in pretty much every area, with perhaps the exception of stability. Better factions, better quests, more depth to the gameplay, etc.

As for the good/evil nature of the games... I hope they fix it in 4.

Skyrim did not feel very mustache twirling when you did evil things. It had the "because I wanted to" or the "because it benefited me" vibe. Oblivion even with its semi cartoony nature had a similar vibe if you went the evil route. Heck Skyrim almost encourages you to go thr anti hero or darker character route with many quests.... even the good guy ones!

fallout 3 was veeerrrryyyyy evil cartoon villain and NV felt just as silly when you were evil. Being evil just didnt feel like... fun. I mean

Ugh, the karma system. My characters typically steal everything that has any value, along with hacking and breaking and entering. Yet all my characters end up being divine heroes just because they do quests and kill (feral) ghouls. Disarming the bomb in Megaton for instance shouldn't award the huge amounts of karma it does unless you decline the reward. But the whole save/destroy Megaton quest doesn't make any sense to begin with. If Tenpenny offered any further quests after destroying Megaton, it would be worth it. Instead you get to see a nuclear blast, receive a few extra caps, you get a different house (conveniently located in the middle of nowhere), you remove several vendors and several side quests.

You get rid of one of the absolutely non-sensical and dysfunctional cities that FO3 is littered with. That's always a bonus
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smackyslap View Post
    A better vanilla house imo and giving that one guy what he wants.
    but all dialog options are it has to be done or something or other. its just mustache twirling evil. Its hardly a better house too.

I mean it simply ends with the blast, the reward is pretty weak, and you pretty much lose an entire area. Most evil options in the game are like this. They def did a better job with Skyrim in terms of being a darker character. Like i stated before it had the, "Because I could", or the "It benefited me vibe."

Hopefully that is fixed in Fallout:4 electric boogaloo.

NV was still pretty bad though any real evil character would go legion to really be evil and then lose a ton of content and followers... good luck gettin Arcade to get the Enclave to help you if you go legion. You got to manipulate the multiple main quests for that to possibly happen.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2014-05-03 at 11:27 AM.

The level of depth and detail in Fallout 3 writing can be summed simply into "Have you seen my father? He's middle aged man"
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    I agree, Fallout 3 had more of the old Fallout feeling. FNV just felt like a Western but with broken down cars and buildings everywhere. But I did like FNV quality-of-life improvements over FO3.
    The only QOL improvement I remember off the top of my head was the addition of iron sights (which was awesome btw, I hated the "zoom" in 3), what else was there? It's been quite a while since I played through either of them tbh.