View Poll Results: Time spent studying WoW out of game?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never, I want to learn everything by experience/trial and error.

30 26.09%
  • 2-4 hours per tier/content release

31 26.96%
  • 4-8 hours per tier/content release

12 10.43%
  • 8-12+ hours per tier/content release

30 26.09%
  • Never, studying for a game is stupid and shouldn't be expected of players.

12 10.43%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Believe it or not. Studying the game is my favorite part of the game. Being able to apply what you learn is always a great feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroicMythic View Post
    If we talk about raiding: It is quite usual that players have no problems wasting 4h of other players time instead of reading a 10 minutes guide. The problem is obvious. Way to many players are too nice and allow assholes to waste their time.

Reading about a fight doesn't mean you can do the fight.

Behind her rifle, in that tree you just passed.
    This is wow... if you can't figure things out in a few hours max you are doing it wrong.
    If it's not an elf, leave it on the shelf.
    Night Elf Independence Movement

If the bosses aren't complete faceroll or it's heroic mode then I may spend 30m-1 hr watching videos and looking around for optimization. Otherwise there is often no need to spend any time unless you are unfamiliar with a spec or class. (IMO most classes can be played at least around 75% potential without guidance) Most of the time there aren't even guides when I attempt the bosses so maybe under an hour in most cases. There is no option on the poll for that so I won't vote I guess.
    I tend to post primarily in Recent Forum Posts from the main page.
    If I don't reply back to you in a thread, don't get overly offended as it is solely a consequence of my laziness and not out of spite.

I wouldn't tell my raid members this, but I don't do jack before normal, then I read the journal before Heroics. I'm more of a hands-on learner anyway so I'd have to see the fight a few times anyway before it clicked.

I do this just to avoid spoilers and to keep the content as fresh as possible. We're around 300th in the West so it's not like there's a big competition. There are some people who act like this is akin to sabotaging your guild, but I consider preparation a form of cheating, like reading the Dungeon Masters notes while he's taking a piss.
    Last edited by frymastermeat; 2014-05-04 at 01:13 AM.

I just can't do videos. The video explanations of fights are usually way too long and over complicated with someone with a pretty annoyingly thick accent who just likes to hear themselves talk. >_<

OK. Sorry.
    But I'll read the basics of it. I don't actually learn the fight until I play the fight and then learn "Oh THAT'S why I died.. jeeze, I feel pretty stupid now".

1 hour or less when major class changes are deployed.
    I can see what you see not - vision milky then eyes rot. When you turn, they will be gone - whispering their hidden song...

Aside from looking up boss/item stats on WoWhead or the Dungeon Journal, I don't do much research for the game, game-wise. I prefer to learn the game from playing it.

Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

None. I have no interest in thoerycrafting. I have better things to do them spend hours studying to play a computer game online. I'd rather get in there and try it out for myself.

Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Having been a hardcore raider since the start, a raid leader for most of it and a guild master for some. ALOT.
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard