Ukraine's Bloodiest Day since Revolution

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A410RP20140502

"(Reuters) - More than 40 people were killed in Odessa on Friday, most caught in a building set on fire after pro-Russian activists and supporters of Ukrainian unity fought running battles across the southern port city.

In the worst violence in the Black Sea port since President Viktor Yanukovich was ousted in February, police said 38 people had choked to death on smoke or were killed when jumping out of windows after the trade union building was set on fire."

What do you guys think? Given these civilians have militarized themselves can they really still be considered activists? Should the Ukrainian government treat this like an insurrection and just go all out in stopping it or should they treat it as they would a violent riot?
    Last edited by diddle; 2014-05-02 at 09:20 PM.

Deleted
    Anyone armed should be treated like a hostile insurgent, within reason of course, bricks and broken bottles probably don't count.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Anyone armed should be treated like a hostile insurgent, within reason of course, bricks and broken bottles probably don't count.
    But RICH, can't we just all hold hands, and give each other hugs. <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    But RICH, can't we just all hold hands, and give each other hugs. <3
    Would be nice, if we could solve conflicts via drinking contests rather than war the would would be a better place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some truly terrible videos from this, unarmed people being beaten as they are loaded into ambulances by the "Peaceful" maidan side...this is just awful. I won't link any here as they are gruesome as hell.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A410RP20140502

"(Reuters) - More than 40 people were killed in Odessa on Friday, most caught in a building set on fire after pro-Russian activists and supporters of Ukrainian unity fought running battles across the southern port city.

In the worst violence in the Black Sea port since President Viktor Yanukovich was ousted in February, police said 38 people had choked to death on smoke or were killed when jumping out of windows after the trade union building was set on fire."

What do you guys think? Given these civilians have militarized themselves can they really still be considered activists? Should the Ukrainian government treat this like an insurrection and just go all out in stopping it or should treat it as they would a violent riot?
    The Ukrainian Government will try to fight the insurgency. The insurgency will become better and better equipped as Russia ships them weapons and aid under the table. Ukraine will appeal to the UN or other surrounding countries for aid. UN will either ignore the plea or wrist-slap Russia (again) because the UN doesn't want to disturb the global energy industry. Russia will either through the insurgency set up a new government in Ukraine, if the insurgency is successful, or go in with Russian regulars to take over the country and install a proxy government, making Ukraine a separate country in name only.

I give it at most three years, most likely by the end of this year, and the current Ukraine government will have fallen, and a new Pro-Russian government will be installed, if Ukraine isn't annexed into Russia entirely (highly unlikely).

As I posted in the other thread, really screams for civilized when unarmed people get pushed into building and then every entrance out torched

Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Oh look the separatists being violent never would I have seen that coming.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Those were pro "government" people
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the most disgusting things I have ever heard of/seen. I am literally disgusted right now at my fellow man in general, and at the pro-maidan side of the Ukraine in particular.

Keep in mind, the current government of the Ukraine is not elected; what right do they have to send there thugs out to commit mass murder such as this? Frankly this looks more like a war crime then a civil matter to me, and if nobody is punished for this ASAP, well, it just goes to show you how awful they truly are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Yeah, I don't think you realize that the people being murdered, the unarmed civilians, were the "pro-russian" Side.
    You're a towel.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Heh, i found it funny that you call it a revolution. Definitely tells you that you was born not long ago
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Heh, i found it funny that you call it a revolution. Definitely tells you that you was born not long ago
    I never used the word revolution. Actually looking through I don't think anyone in this thread has. If you're talking about the thread title take it up with Reuters, it's the article title.
    Last edited by diddle; 2014-05-02 at 09:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously if you have a strong stomach just watch the pro-kiev people beating injured, unarmed people to death as EMT's try to load them into ambulances from this event.

Seems like the kind of people we should not be giving money to in any way, but I guess we value geo-politics more then supporting complete animals.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    What do you guys think? Given these civilians have militarized themselves can they really still be considered activists? Should the Ukrainian government treat this like an insurrection and just go all out in stopping it or should they treat it as they would a violent riot?
    Please don't forget that:

1. It was indeed a peaceful demonstration until pro-russians appeared and started to shoot at unarmed Ukrainian people.
    2. Pro-russians killed and crippled tons of Ukrainian people since April. Pro-russians killed four people at this demonstration in Odessa first, and corrupted police just stood there and done nothing.
    3. Pro-russians barricaded themselves in that building after Ukrainian people started to fight back (your information sounds like poorly beaten pro-russians were kicked inside a building by force and burned alive, which is wrong and twisting info). Pro-russians were actively shooting at Ukrainian people from roof and windows.

1+2+3, you know, people here in Ukraine became really tired of government doing nothing to protect us while pro-russians are killing us just because we are speaking Ukrainian. So yes, tensions rise, and people eventually will fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Please don't forget that:

1. It was indeed a peaceful demonstration until pro-russians appeared and started to shoot at unarmed Ukrainian people.
    2. Pro-russians killed and crippled tons of Ukrainian people since April. Pro-russians killed four people at this demonstration in Odessa first, and corrupted police just stood there and done nothing.
    3. Pro-russians barricaded themselves in that building after Ukrainian people started to fight back (your information sounds like poorly beaten pro-russians were kicked inside a building by force and burned alive, which is wrong and twisting info). Pro-russians were actively shooting at Ukrainian people from roof and windows.

1+2+3, you know, people here in Ukraine became really tired of government doing nothing to protect us while pro-russians are killing us just because we are speaking Ukrainian. So yes, tensions rise, and people eventually will fight back.
    I agree the article's description is very vague on what happened, this is of course recent news. Every side is portraying events in their favor.
    Last edited by diddle; 2014-05-02 at 09:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Were you THERE? I'm sure it was allll the pro russian peoples fault that 100 unarmed members of there group were forced into a building by 500+ people, then the exits were all started on fire and many of them were killed. Yep, only the people that burned to deaths fault!!!

You cannot be serious. These people were unarmed (There are videos of all of this up on youtube right now)

You support killing unarmed civilians because you do not like there politics. That is disgusting.

- - - Updated - - -

I just cannot fathom anybody supporting these actions. Those people were legit, 100%, unarmed, as I have said, there is video of this. And you support them being murdered in a fire. Because of politics.
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    Well, looks like Russia has a reason to intervene now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering we have a massive thread on the ongoing events going on in the Ukraine, there is no need to have a separate thread for this incident.

Closed.