Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaani View Post
    There was once a blue post about this during the Cataclysm era (when they removed the dark night entirely (except the sky-boxes).
    If I remember it correctly, the reasoning was along the line of people complaining that they couldn't really see things well enough. Another reasoning was that some people who could only play during night-time didn't enjoy it much either.

While those reasons are certainly understandable, I do believe it should be technically possible to implement an on/off option for a darker night.
    Might be worth the work since it would satisfy both camps.
    i agree. i can understand how some people would feel if they only had time to play while it was dark in game, but i think there has to be a better compromise than what we have now of basically no nighttime feel.

i think shorter day/night cycles would be one solution. another could be rotating by zones if its supposed to be a round world and not flat, then its plausible that kalimdor could be dark while EK is lighted and vice versa. this could be for a few months when they would switch.

idk, there has to be some sort of middle ground so that people playing at night in the real world can experience day time somewhere in wow, while other players can have a nighttime zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow... Simply amazing, so Blizz, what are you watiing for? Please can we have this back?
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's worth noting that nights were never that dark in WoW... And while the video is neat, it also shows that a good deal of work would have to be done to fix some of the objects that aren't currently affected by lighting, and change other objects to cast light.

That being said, if Blizzard did do this, I see no reason why they couldn't make it so people could "disable" the dark lighting if it bugged them so much.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Made me recall an awesome little detail - watching the little gnome mage in Dalaran walk the city and light all the street lamps.

I wish night was that dark. If it bothered people so much, make it another graphical option or make the day/night cycle only last 2-4 hours so even day sleepers like me can see both.
    Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein

The video is nice and all, but it is pretty damn dark. I could see it getting old after a little bit.

To be honest though I would still support a change like this as long as you could purchase torches/lanterns that gave off some light - that would be pretty cool!

This would literally breath new life to the game. I mean damn I would explore EVERY single zone at night. This would be RPers very very happy as well as no RPers. Can you imagine night time raids on major cities? It would be so damn good. You can even give some classes new fun spells (with glyphs or leveling, doesn't matter to me) that light up areas and what not, like a flare spell or something. There's so much that can be done with a dark night if you just use some imagination.

Now yes, some places might need some additional light sources, or maybe don't make it as dark as the video but it could definitely work. I know FFXIV has a day/night cycle that looks pretty good.

Just have that little button for people who don't like it and I really don't see any problems with this (thought that might ruin my night time raids )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanos27 View Post
    You can even give some classes new fun spells (with glyphs or leveling, doesn't matter to me) that light up areas and what not, like a flare spell or something.
    That's actually a fantastic idea. Someone post it on official WoW forums, maybe someone from Blizzard will see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    i think shorter day/night cycles would be one solution.
    The issue with this idea is that it breaks immersion for role-players. The few MMORPGs that have a day/night cycle have usually a short one (Elder Scrolls Online and Guild Wars 2, to name just two) that switches day time every two hours.
    If you are in a role-play session at night, it feels disturbing if it becomes day and night during the same session. 24-hour cycle adds a lot to the immersion.

An option in the graphics menu would probably still be the better solution. If you turn "Dark Night" on, it would be similar like in the video, if turned off, it would be as it is currently on the live-servers.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling,
    but in rising every time we fall."
    - Kong Fuzi

10+ Year Old Account
    That's so pretty...

Also, I remember reading somewhere that Azeroth has two moons (it may have been two suns, but I think it was moons) and it'd be nice to actually see that.
    Lock rocks, made to order.

In that video none of the lightsources actually work, that's most likely the reason why nights are not in the game. Would take crapton of work touching every single map to have dynamic lights. Currently in WoW only lightsource is the sun and none of the torches, lamps, magic glowing rocks or fires affect the scene around them.

Painfully obvious missing lightsources are the doors and windows of buildings that should be bleeding light everywhere outside, now the world in that video seems just lifeless when all houses, huts and tents are dark.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    In that video none of the lightsources actually work, that's most likely the reason why nights are not in the game. Would take crapton of work touching every single map to have dynamic lights. Currently in WoW only lightsource is the sun and none of the torches, lamps, magic glowing rocks or fires affect the scene around them.

Painfully obvious missing lightsources are the doors and windows of buildings that should be bleeding light everywhere outside, now the world in that video seems just lifeless when all houses, huts and tents are dark.
    When did Blizzard change the light system so that night times didn't work? I cant help but think that when they were updating the lighting system making sure the night time worked with it seems like it should have been an important thing to do before the new system could be considered complete.

Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    When did Blizzard change the light system so that night times didn't work? I cant help but think that when they were updating the lighting system making sure the night time worked with it seems like it should have been an important thing to do before the new system could be considered complete.
    Did any light sources actually work before? The nights were darker before, but nowhere nearly as dark as the OPs video.

Deleted
    If you need night time in the game you are playing it too long.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephismo View Post
    If you need night time in the game you are playing it too long.
    I'll bite.
    I still like playing at nights sometimes. Mostly on a boring weekend it can be nice to waste some time

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    In that video none of the lightsources actually work, that's most likely the reason why nights are not in the game. Would take crapton of work touching every single map to have dynamic lights.
    Well they worked back in vanilla-wotlk, until they've changed it in Cata...

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Night gamma toggle in graphics interface. Get on it Blizz.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://i.imgur.com/jdzZZV7.jpg

That is Valley of the Four Winds at 3am .... I support night time being at least a little dark damn it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss night time Elwynn Forest and Night time Winterspring..

That is stupidly dark. I'm not playing a single player RPG, I'm playing an MMORPG where if it gets that dark and there's other faction players around I'm fucked for the most part. Nevermind that a lot of the abilities make classes less visible (see: evasion).

Darker nights I would love. I mean like Vanilla dark. The darkness in that video on the other hand would just be obnoxious.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15