Thinking about opening a "think tank" or business incubation business. Need ideas.

To all my tech savvy friends, I have a few questions..... my best buddy is extremely tech savvy... and another buddy is probably just as tech savvy, but I don't know if he is more or less, to be honest. In any case, they are both pretty damn smart, probably borderline geniuses.

I'll get to the questions in a bit...... So, we are thinking about opening a "think tank", if you will..... a place to meet, share ideas on tech things, in hopes of becoming a business that helps people develop their own businesses. Of course, we are in it for the money, but all 3 of us have our own PT business. ( I am not tech savvy, but I have money I can invest to be a partner ) Those 2 folks have all kinds of computer certifications, and in several areas. Other than money, I would bring more of what I call "social" skills. I can handle PR, I can "sell"...... and I can keep books, as well.

So, other than the obvious of need of computers and a network, and printers, and such, along with tables, chairs, desks....... and a couple small meeting rooms, what else can you think of? Smart boards.... I don't think we will have trouble figuring out the tech we need. We might need suggestions for other things.

We also need to figure out exactly how we will make this a successful venture. Any ideas.... we have a few, but I don't want to put them out here right now.......

Thanks.

( this is a cut and paste from a post I made somewhere else )

EDIT: We are thinking about renting a 2000 SF barn that is set up like an office already...... It used to have small businesses in it, but not in a couple of years.
    Last edited by VeganHunter; 2014-05-03 at 03:57 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/WarcraftStroies/

Come share your favorite Warcraft Stories! Please read the description of the page before posting.

make a bunch of fake review sites, so your business gets ranked high in googles algorithm. Thats what drug rehabs do.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    make a bunch of fake review sites, so your business gets ranked high in googles algorithm. Thats what drug rehabs do.
    I believe what satimy is saying is that you should understand Google's algorithm such that you can manipulate yourself into cheaper advertising. If satimy intended to say that you should write fake reviews of your company, do realize that that is unlawful.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but we want to be 100% legit.

Come share your favorite Warcraft Stories! Please read the description of the page before posting.

Deleted
    My advice is not to open a "Think tank" if you need to ask an MMO website for ideas, Just open a PC maintenance business from home and go from there. Advertise locally that you will come round to people homes and fix it there and then.

yeah this sort of thing seems like a hard sell to me, your basically selling your opinion and perhaps ideas, the first problem your going to encounter is finding clients, ppl want to see results before they decide to actually pay for something, where you have none, your going to struggle, I agree with rich though, depending on how much competition you'd have in that area you would more than likely have a better chance at turning a profit providing a service ppl can actually see.

for a venture like this, to sell yourselves you'd need a portfolio of things your 'think-tank' has come up with, successful ideas would probably be important aswell.

to put it as blunt as possible, why should ppl pay to listen to you, and how can you prove your sincerity.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-05-03 at 11:41 AM.

Lol I hate this kind of business, if you can even call it that. Basically you're offering people motivational speeches.

If I got this right, you're going to tell people tech ideas so that they can use them to start a business?

10+ Year Old Account
    You are better of if you open a research center. There is just too many organizatins like this.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Lol I hate this kind of business, if you can even call it that. Basically you're offering people motivational speeches.

If I got this right, you're going to tell people tech ideas so that they can use them to start a business?
    Not even close.

We will provide among other things:

1. High end computers / network / printers, including a 3D printer
    2. The ability for people to network with other tech people so that they can share thoughts and inspire each other
    3. Office space and equipment..... some space will be open to all, but a few SMALL offices can be rented at reasonable rates - less than office space in office buildings.
    4. Seminars from local experts about PR, finding capital, bringing your venture to the public, how to find a manufacturer..... things along those lines.
    5. 24 hour access
    6. the 3 of us have worked in TV for a combined 60+ years.... we will be available, at a cost, of course, for producing videos for our clients.

and other things, but that gives you a better idea of what we will do.
    Last edited by VeganHunter; 2014-05-03 at 01:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganHunter View Post
    Not even close.

So does everyone else, you are no different.

2. The ability for people to network with other tech people so that they can share thoughts and inspire each other

Facebook for IT professionals?

3. Office space and equipment..... some space will be open to all, but a few SMALL offices can be rented at reasonable rates - less than office space in office buildings.

Why rent from you rather than go straight to the source, which will be cheaper?

4. Seminars from local experts about PR, finding capital, bringing your venture to the public, how to find a manufacturer..... things along those lines.

See above, cheaper to go to te source rather than use a middle man.

5. 24 hour access

Standard for any company, this is nothing special.

6. the 3 of us have worked in TV for a combined 60+ years.... we will be available, at a cost, of course, for producing videos for our clients.

Can you not do that from home and save a fortune in costs?

Sounds to me like you havent got a clue what you will be doing as that does not sound like a good long term plan to me.

Not even close.

5. 24 hour access

Jack of all trades, master of none?

Rich already did a good job of pointing out flaws, but I'm still not seeing what exactly it is you're specifically doing to rope in clients. What would I google to say "Oh this is what Vegan Hunter can do for me." None of the things you mentioned seems to be linked. (5) is just bullshit. (2) could just be done on an internet website. (4)...there are a lot of conventions and conferences, good luck with that. (1)...I'm not sure who doesn't have a computer or what you're offering that a business isn't going to need to buy for themselves. (3)...not sure why'd I'd rent office space from you and not at a location that's convenient to me and my employees that could be cheaper. (6) would be a better business if it was the only thing.

I don't mean to come off as demeaning or anything but I just don't see it. It seems to me that if someone already has a business idea then they wouldn't want to share it with the public. If you were a private venture capital firm or a consulting agency to help them move forward with the business I could see how this might work. But if you don't have investing money or deep connections...not sure why I'd come to you.

Deleted
    Thanks for the reply, but we want to be 100% legit.
    Theres nothing wrong with "manipulating" websites to sell yourself better. If it's legal then you should do it if you can profit from it. But tbh it sounds like you don't really know how to start a business, don't get me wrong...maybe you can, but from what we have to go on in this thread you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    My advice is not to open a "Think tank" if you need to ask an MMO website for ideas
    I just had a grin-gasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Theres nothing wrong with "manipulating" websites to sell yourself better. If it's legal then you should do it if you can profit from it. But tbh it sounds like you don't really know how to start a business, don't get me wrong...maybe you can, but from what we have to go on in this thread you don't.
    I own a 20+ yr old business, almost 30 years old.... yes, PT, but I was employed by FOX TV for 20 years.... and the pay there was VERY NICE, and I saw no reason to make my PT business a FT business.

Put it this way, I am smart enough that I RETIRED at age 48. I am now almost 52, and am bored with retirement.

Deleted
    I own a 20+ yr old business, almost 30 years old.... yes, PT, but I was employed by FOX TV for 20 years.... and the pay there was VERY NICE, and I saw no reason to make my PT business a FT business.

Put it this way, I am smart enough that I RETIRED at age 48. I am now almost 52, and am bored with retirement.
    Do charity work then rather than risking what you have and the future of the other people involved.