Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Help! Want to get rid of my mouse. (Keybind Required)

Hi Everyody!

So, recently I blown away some dust from my ol' little hunter, going to main it in WoD once again!
    And after seeing the 'new' skirmish feature, and the awesome ashran pvp area, I thought that would be fun to take a little bit closer look to the pvp side of the game.
    And this means only one thing: Keybinds.

YES, I have to confess, I am a clicker. I've always been. Since I started, I never had issue with moving camera AND clicking buttons. (no, at least I was/am not a keyboard turner haha)
    So now I am starting to try out the wonderfull world of keybind ppl!
    With aweful success, tho.
    ...Long story short, I need advice. And maybe some tutoring (Metaphorically speaking) about what are the most common and, more importantly, comfortable way to keybind things.

Some datas:
    I am on a laptop (LAPTOP ONLY), 1920x1080. US keyboard (But with East config. Yeah, is messy. VERY messy. But that's what you et with on line purchases XD)
    Using RealUI from wowinterface (Since... Yesterday. So if you know issues with that UI package for hunter classes, please go ahead and advice me about something better ^_^ Not used to it, so I can easily change.)
    My movement config are bit different: 'WS' for foward/back, as usual, but 'AD' is for lateral movement (normally keybound to QR) I have no camera spin bind, because mouse.
    I already tried out some keybinds, but I find Extremely uneasy to use them; here you go:

Q:Arcane Shot
    E:Explosive Shot
    1:Black Arrow
    2:Cobra Shot
    3:Serpent Sting
    4:Kill Shot
    ShiftQisengage
    ShiftEeterrence
    Shift1:Concussive
    Shift2:Counter Shot
    Shift3:Binding Shot
    CtrlE:Scatter.

This is what I got for questing so far, with CD still on mouse click (stamp, RF & Traps)
    But I can barely stand this nightmare! XD

How do you pro (and unpro aswell) guys manage to live with keybinds? My hands always have epilectic attacks after 20mins of questing, with aweful performances (can't press buttons fast enough to prevent mobs reaching me XD)

...I know is matter of practice patience and perseverance, but.. Well, Advice is always well appreciated.

Thanks for every useful reply, and for the time spent reading me!

For the abilities you listed, here is how I put mine:

1: Black Arrow
    2: Serpent Sting
    3: Explosive Shot
    4: Cobra Shot
    5: Arcane Shot
    6: Kill Shot
    Mouse wheel click(MB3): Disengage
    Tab: Deterrance
    E: Concussive shot
    V: Counter Shot
    Scatter not bound(no space QQ!)

Just put your most used abilities to easy to reach places, avoid Ctrl/Shift/Alt modifiers until you get used to just generally spamming the keyboard. Overall I have over 40 Keybinds and I still can't bind everything(Scatter, Tranq Shot)

Why not make use of F, R, T, V, X & C?

10+ Year Old Account
    Only learn 1-2 keybinds at a time to get the muscle memory going,myself,I use
    1.Explosive Shot
    2.Cobra Shot
    3.Black Arrow
    4.Serpent Sting
    5.AmOC
    Control+R = Multishot
    Control+1 = Killshot
    Control+2 = Barrage/Powershot/Glaivetoss
    Control C = Feign Death
    Control+D = Disengage
    Control+S = Deterrence
    Control+T is Tranq shot
    T = counttershot
    Control+G is scatter
    Control+V is masters call,
    got a g600 logitech so I use
    Numpad5= stampede
    Numpad1=Fervor/Db
    Numpad3= Rapid Fire
    And yeah I love using control modifier ,have more keybinds but not logged in atm,so no idea what they are (Keybind/Macro text is hidden on bars,muscle memory ftw)
    Last edited by Miloscub; 2014-05-03 at 02:49 PM.

Use keys that are easy to reach for you. Let's say Q, it's pretty easy to reach, use Alt / Control / Shift modifiers for it.

By doing this, you should have enough keys for all your abilities.

alt should be an easily reachable modifier for most people.

I have bound Shift+wheel up/down to my multishot/glaive toss, just to give an idea.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    get a naga that way you can have 12+ keys on your hand a naga is one of the easier way to keybind it ia how i went from clicking to keybinding

Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    alt should be an easily reachable modifier for most people.
    With which finger? None of them seem to work well for me...

Anyway, you could consider getting a razer naga or similar mouse. I went from clicking to that and I found the side buttons much more comfortable to reach and easier to learn than keybinds.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Deleted
    Thanks for the answers!
    ...mousewheel was a thing i didn't considered, indeed.
    How much did you guys had to practice to become good at keybinds?
    ...I have a friend with the naga, and he half uses it (Sp class). The thing that makes me doubt about it is the insane price for a mouse. Is like, 79€ or something like that.

However, maybe I will give me a bday present, one of theese days xD
    And how about pvp? Isn't quite hard to keybind high priority abilities to easy button AND manage to bind all the cc/mobility to even easier button to use on the move? (Or u ded.)

And what about the macros? Are there basic macros who will make the job easyer? (Maybe a mix pvp/pve viable.)

Attach /petattack [@pettarget,noexists] to your macros, but you NEED to have your pet set to "Passive" command.

Your pet won't ever switch target once you assign it to something, and if it loses the target(say Paragons of Klaxxi), it will start attacking your current target again and will stay there until that target is dead.

Also I recommend to just have a general keybind where you can control your pet to attack with the standard /petattack command(I have mine macroed with Rabid).

Some useful macros:

I use this while keeping my pet on passive, it allows me to DPS a different target without losing pet uptime.
    #showtooltip
    /use Steady Shot
    /stopmacro [@pettarget,exists]
    /petattack

Which leads to this macro for when I want my pet to attack (CTRL+MouseWheelUp):
    /petattack
    /petassist

I have /petpassive bound directly on the pet action bar. (CTRL+MouseWheelDown)

I combine my Revive, Mend, and Dismiss pet with (right click to dismiss, left click / keybind to heal/revive):
    #showtooltip
    /use [button:2]Dismiss Pet;[@pet,exists,nodead]Mend Pet;Revive Pet

For interrupts you'll need to manual cancel Steady (Cobra) shot if you need to cast Counter (Silencing), or make this macro:
    #showtooltip
    /stopcasting
    /stopcasting
    /use Counter Shot

If you're comfortable with modifier keys (CTRL, ALT, SHIFT) you can do somethings to reduce the amount of binds as well, I combine abilities like Concussive Shot/Distracting Shot into one button with:
    /use [mod:alt]Distracting Shot;Concussive Shot
    /use [mod:alt]Widow Venom;Serpent Sting

Of course some of these abilities are being removed in WoD so that might not be a big deal.

The last two macros I use are:

#showtooltip
    /use [@target,raid][@focus,raid][@pet]Misdirection

Which will follow the order of target, focus, pet for Misdirection.

And:
    #showtooltip
    /use [pet:Spirit Beast, @target,help][pet: Spirit Beast, @player]Spirit Mend;[pet:Core Hound]Ancient Hysteria

And:
    /use Heart of the Phoenix
    /use Last Stand
    /use [@target,help][@player]Roar of Sacrifice

For my pet's "special abilities", you can add more as needed.

People keep harping on about the naga: how on earth can you get more accuracy with your thumb on 12 tiny buttons compared to your entire left hand?

Maybe its because I play 3 instruments but I find my left hand is much more dexterous than my single thumb oO.

Also about the alt modifier, I'm not sure if it's different on other regional keyboards but I press my space bar with my left thumb, alt happens to be right next to the space bar so its very easy for me to reach

People keep harping on about the naga: how on earth can you get more accuracy with your thumb on 12 tiny buttons compared to your entire left hand?

Maybe its because I play 3 instruments but I find my left hand is much more dexterous than my single thumb oO.

Also about the alt modifier, I'm not sure if it's different on other regional keyboards but I press my space bar with my left thumb, alt happens to be right next to the space bar so its very easy for me to reach
    I have a US layout keyboard and the natural position for my thumb on the spacebar is below the B key. I have long thumbs, any more to the left and I actually hit the V key when trying to hit space, so alt is actually quite far away.

Incidentally, my long thumbs are why I can use my naga so easily. I can comfortably, quickly and without misclicking use all 12 buttons

Also my left hand is useless in general
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

These are the keybindings I use:
    1: Sting
    2: Cobra
    3: Arcane
    4: Glaive/Barrage
    5: BA
    6: Explosive
    Q: Multishot
    Shift Q: Tranq
    Y: Mend pet
    Shift X: Flare
    X: Counter shot(Button on mouse)
    Z: Concussive
    Shift Z: Camouflage
    V: Kill shot ( And Deterrence cancel )
    E: Disengage (Also on mouse)
    Alt E: Deterrence
    Ctrl E: Feign
    Shift E: Master's Call
    N: Lock cookie
    Shift N: Dps pot
    Alt N: Heal pot
    Shift T: Stampede
    Alt T: Rapid Fire
    T: Scare Beast
    Shift V: Widow Venom
    R : Freezing trap
    Shift R: Explosive trap
    Alt R: Ice trap
    Ctrl R: Snake trap
    K: Scatter shot ( I could change this, but I'm used to it. )
    Shift 1: Symbiosis
    Ctrl F1 - F3 for aspects
    Ctrl 1- 0 for pet controlling
    F: Trinket
    For me, that's what I've been using for the past two years when I redid my UI, so make what you want of them.

@Charo: Nice idea with the modifier and mouse scroll for pet controlling! It didn't cross my mind. When PvPing lately, I've found the pet pretty stupid to control in all the madness. I'm going to make a mouseover pet attack macro that will help me a lot in my endeavors
    Last edited by Sebid; 2014-05-05 at 10:08 AM.

It's more about getting more keybinds rather than moving away from stuff like Q, E, F, G, T, Z, X, C, V.

I only use 6 of the 12 available buttons on my Naga, in the end, it's all about muscle memory. You will get used to it fast once you start using it and playing with another mouse will be tough afterwards.

Deleted
    For myself I use:

Q = Explosive shot
    R = Cobra Shot
    E = Arcane Shot
    F = Multi-shot
    1 = Kill shot
    2 = SrSting
    3 = Focus fire for BM, nothing for SV since my 3 button is a bit iffy.
    4 = AMoC
    5 = Glaive toss/Barrage
    V = Black arrow
    shift1 = counter shot
    shift 2 = rapid fire
    shift 3 = binding shot
    shift 4 = explo trap
    shift 5 = stampede
    C = detterence
    capslock = disengage
    T = healthstone
    \ = snake trap
    shiftq = misdirection
    shiftv = distracting shot
    shiftc = concussive shot
    shiftr = ice trap
    shiftf = freezing trap
    X = dash
    mouse 4 = petattack
    mouse 3 = call pet
    controle = widow venom
    shifte = masters call
    G = feign death

about all I can remember atm

Deleted
    So many thanks for all the useful advices! ^_^ I really appreciate them, so keep it on when they came to mind!

I am having really wierd problems keeping to shoot while moving. Especially trying to disengage right after pressing spacebar (to gaim more distance). However, pressing shift plus Q plus spacebar often leads to a failure XD (Like the char jumps. THEN disengage.) Maybe I sould change it to something more comfy, heh. I will definetly try out some of the macros you gave me, they sound very useful and QoL ^_^

my disengage is on v

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    With which finger? None of them seem to work well for me...
    Your thumb on your left hand and the your index finger to press ~ to 5,r,t,etc. I use it as my main modifier