Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Dragons as a playable race

Hey all,

I believe it would add so much to the game if dragons (shape-shift elves-looking/dragon) were made a playable race like in Istaria. I always wondered if Bizz would do it, I was hoping for it for Cata but it did not happen and I don't think it will ever happen. Still I'd love to see it.

Dragons are cool. Works for me.

If anything it'd be a new class considering the shapeshifting between so many different races.

Deleted
    Maybe a whelp form, if even.

Quote Originally Posted by shaxeey View Post
    Maybe a whelp form, if even.
    I don't think anyone considers drakes especially powerful except for the most hardcore lore fan.

If anything following the lore, my hunter has practically ascended to godhood. So allowing us to roll dragons or dragon hybrids is nothing.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

what, no
    This would be like Worgen, except that their actual form would be the vanity one, none of the gear or animations work on dragons and dragons are far too big

The best they could do would be a more humanoid dragonkin, but really the relevance of dragons has pretty much ended

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    what, no
    This would be like Worgen, except that their actual form would be the vanity one, none of the gear or animations work on dragons and dragons are far too big

The best they could do would be a more humanoid dragonkin, but really the relevance of dragons has pretty much ended
    Oh I'd kill to play a wyrmkin the one with 4 legs 2 arms and a tail?

All fucking day.

I guess if Blizzard pulled it off well enough, then I could tolerate dragonkin being playable. Dragons never came across to me, though, as a race that would want to get involved with the squabbles between the Alliance and Horde. Making them a true neutral race would open up a whole new can of worms that Blizzard would not be able to close again. The risk is greater than the reward.

I mean, sure, it sounds like a cool idea on the surface, but as much as I like Blizzard's work, I don't have much faith they could adequately justify adding dragonkin to the factions.

Everquest Drakkin are a race of Humans with draconic conscriptions (basically enlisted as emissaries of the various dragonflights).
    A similar concept would do fine in WoW lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Instructor Soki View Post
    Everquest Drakkin are a race of Humans with draconic conscriptions (basically enlisted as emissaries of the various dragonflights).
    A similar concept would do fine in WoW lore.
    As long as the city is designed better than the drakkin city. Good lord what a headache.

If dragonkin of some description did become a playable race I'd rather they be independent from the aspects (Breaking away due to their leaders' new mortality? The result of a series of weird magical experiments? Half-breeds? (lol))

Having the Aspects suddenly be directly involved in Alliance/Horde politics sounds like a bad thing.

Dragons are not part of the horde or alliance. Also seems pretty ridiculous to have dragons who can only be used as flying mounts, they are dragons, dragons breath fire on shit and are dragons, having dragons running around in human/elf/gnome looking form swinging axes or casting spells is pointless.

Even if it wasn't pointless, they still aren't part of horde/alliance.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Dragons in Warcraft means power and exclusivity. With that in mind you know that Blizzard will never add dragons, Dragonssworns or other dragon-like creatures to be playable.

Dragons as player race sounds so Mary Sue and to a point, typical.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, there really is no good reason to include Dragonkin or Drakonids. Dragons truly are Neutral beings and there would be no logical reason to separate them into factions. I would suggest a third faction, but that's still a lame idea. Dragons are best being the background characters that care about the fate of the world and I doubt they care for the faction wars. Sure, they'd look cool to play but that's it. Nothing more interesting or worth adding to the game. They're as pointless as Ethereals, Murlocs and Naga becoming playable.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    After all this time, im kind of burnt out/indifferent towards dragons in general. However...

I dream of the day i log in to gaze lovingly at the character selection screen and the DK that awaits me there.

My undead Nerubian DK.

My undead Nerubian DK that has a sword in each of his four hands.

That's right... Quad wielding.

Make it happen blizzard.

DO. IT.

I wanna be a drakonid. =/

15+ Year Old Account
    well dragons have already lost much of their power during Cata, they can already shapeshift into other mortal forms. so I think it sounds good if they come up with a good lore and introduce dragons as a race, along with a Dragon Knight class. dragons can be implemented the same way Pandaren were implemented. neutral at first and at a certain level you get to choose your mortal form and then join either the alliance or the horde depending on the form you've chosen.

also, as racial flying they can activate their true form and become a dragon. cool huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Dragons are not part of the horde or alliance. Also seems pretty ridiculous to have dragons who can only be used as flying mounts, they are dragons, dragons breath fire on shit and are dragons, having dragons running around in human/elf/gnome looking form swinging axes or casting spells is pointless.
    This is the problem I'd have, if you were a big ass powerful dragon, why the hell would you be fighting or going around in your human form, it would be utterly pointless and distracting, the lore side I could care less about, they'd have to figure out a way to make it work, which I'm not sure it could, unless it was a lesser dragon or dragonkin etc.

Plus, you can only do so much with armor on a dragon before it gets really ridiculous, can you imagine the amount of spikes on a savage WoD dragon?

I know there are role players out there who play to be Dragons, the playable race they choose is their illusion and when they change into their original dragonform they mount up on a drake mount. It is a desired choice for a new playable race though I wouldn't call it something of the majority because dragons (even the after the Aspects lost their powers) are so overpowered and people shun those kind of characters in the role play scene... and I am sure outside of it too.

And I agree with some people in this thread; the dragonform should have to be humanoid and scaled down in size just so it can work. Imagine a raid with at least ten of (not downsized) dragons with a wingspan as long as themselves with their tail included. It is too much. Half-breed would be the best option to go with, just to not have the system explode with massive armored dragons.