Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, packed a U-Hall and drove to the other ocean around 15 years ago. I fly back every year between thanksgiving and Christmas for a week... Buying a house, so am promised I get visited for the first time this year... Not bitter...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    I'm just wondering, have you ever moved far away from your family (family here being whatever you consider your family... wife/husband, parents etc)?

If so, why? for how long? Was it hard for you or did you not care much about it?
    I was a military child until age 15. I married a soldier at age 17. As a result, I've done a lot of moving around, and it's always been on the other side of the country of where my family was located. When my husband was in the Army, I lived away from my family for eight years (which was the entirety of his service). We visited my parents at least once a year. It wasn't hard on me because I was used to the military life and knew what it entailed. My mom was always a phone call away, so I didn't feel as though I was living far away from her. It was still wonderful to see her in person, though.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just wondering, have you ever moved far away from your family (family here being whatever you consider your family... wife/husband, parents etc)?

If so, why? for how long? Was it hard for you or did you not care much about it?
    The longest I've ever been away from my family was 6 months, and that wasn't really far away, as I was only 4 hours away with a train trip...

But now I'm about to stay at least 3 years away, with no foreseeable date to come back, in a far away country...
    It's just a really odd feeling that I never had before.
    Twice, first time due to work where I didn't see them for 6 months, and currently seeing them once per 6-7 months as economy allows it while studying (re-studying? /desk)

It is hard at times sure, but with a phone call here n' there it isn't that bad

Deleted
    I live like 1500 miles from my family - not a big deal
    trying to visit them every 8 or 6 months

Mind if I ask what do you work with?
    Freelance photography work.

Being in the military i have been away from my mother, father and siblings for 17 years now, with mabey a 1 week visit every 2-3 years, I have been away from wife and children 4 times for 1 year plus.

10+ Year Old Account
    I moved from Berlin, Germany to Central Ohio and married someone from here. That was in 2001. I haven't seen my brother since then, but my parents came over to be here when my son was born in '06.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

15+ Year Old Account
    I once went on holiday to South Africa for a month, I live in the Netherlands. ~10 hour flight

Deleted
    I haven't but if given a good chance, I will.

10+ Year Old Account
    15 yrs and counting.. 4000+ miles..
    Why? Cause I can..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I lived 50km away from my friends and family for 8 months (didn't have a car tho, so it felt like a much greater distance) and came back with severe depression and lost contact with most of my friends. Never again. Now I live within 2 miles from my brother, all grandparents, parents, an aunt and a cousin; you can probably tell I grew up with close ties to all my extended family. I also have a wonderful boyfriend, who doesn't go off with all of his friends for every single weekend without any warning and leave me sit alone at home in a strange city.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    My family lives in the Netherlands, i've moved to Brazil, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana. Was never really a big deal for me since i grew up for it. It takes getting used to I guess
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

I still live in my hometown. I go on vacation one week out of the year to a place that's between 500-600 miles away. I have a couple of cousins who have been in the military and are all over the place, but most of my family/extended family is reasonably close to this area.

The longest I've ever been away from my family was 6 months, and that wasn't really far away, as I was only 4 hours away with a train trip...

But now I'm about to stay at least 3 years away, with no foreseeable date to come back, in a far away country...
    It's just a really odd feeling that I never had before.

Its fine, you make new friends and soon it doesnt matter much.
    im 26, been living away from my family (as in, another country away) since 20ish. Good friends and family never "break up" even if you stay years away, whenever i go back home after a year or two is as if nothing really changed.
    3rd country ive been living in, soon will move to another. Its fun, albeit can be lonely at first.

Edit: one important thing i forgot to mention, being away from your normal groups will have rather big effects on you in terms of views, behaviour, ideas and so forth.
    Sometimes it feels like you grew up so much when you return, and see all your friends still having the same ideas, same beliefs, same dreams, but... you get used to it, doesnt matter.
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2014-05-04 at 08:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and it's one of the best things that happened to me. Having a 1000+ km buffer with your relatives is a bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkis View Post
    Yes, and it's one of the best things that happened to me. Having a 1000+ km buffer with your relatives is a bliss.
    Hahah depends on how controlling/nosy your relatives are, my life didnt change much when I moved away as my parents always gave me tons of space and support.
    But yeah, for a lot of people this is a huge difference, a gamechanger that allows them to do what they want and "find themselves". The distance from the familiar and insular ideas sure give a lot of room to grow.