Poll: Your views on Death Penalty?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    My view regarding the death penalty has always stayed put. Death is permanent, when someone murders someone it does the world no good to get rid of them because the reality is even though they killed someone that dead person doesn't care nor even know that they're dead so why kill the killer?

Rehabilitate and make him live somewhere where he can start fresh.
    Hey everyone

Regardless of how great you think your argument is, being pro death penalty is being pro innocents being put to death. It's a disgusting stance to take.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Regardless of how great you think your argument is, being pro death penalty is being pro innocents being put to death. It's a disgusting stance to take.
    How is someone convicted by our court innocent? Indulge me and explain.

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    How is someone convicted by our court innocent? Indulge me and explain.
    He refers to the 4% of people who were innocent, but put on death row.
    4 is a small number, but it should be enough to make you against the death penalty if you genuinely innocent life over revenge.
    Remember that innocent people can be released, once someone is dead, he/her consciousness, or subjective experience could be destroyed, or it could be anywhere, maybe even if it does persist, it is not a ressurectable "thing" in the future. I don't want to take the risk of destroying an innocent person's subjective experience.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2014-05-04 at 07:00 AM.

An eye for an eye.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

I believe and always will believe that it is irresponsible, barbaric and disgusting. It's also enormously costly.
    "Today and forever I am your better, Arthas." - Illidan Stormrage

10+ Year Old Account
    There are instances where it is more statistically sound to remove a threat from society than to correct it. Long term incarceration can be expensive, and that money is better spent on people who haven't intentionally destroyed the lives of others.

It needs to apply to very specific crimes though, so that it does not get overused. Outside of the absolute destruction of life, I don't really approve Capital Punishment. For murder cases however, I have no issue with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axaron View Post
    I believe and always will believe that it is irresponsible, barbaric and disgusting. It's also enormously costly.
    Bullets are very cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    My view regarding the death penalty has always stayed put. Death is permanent, when someone murders someone it does the world no good to get rid of them because the reality is even though they killed someone that dead person doesn't care nor even know that they're dead so why kill the killer?

Rehabilitate and make him live somewhere where he can start fresh.
    The idea that all people can be rehabilitated is...naive, at best. Psychiatrists are very simple people to trick.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

@Xisa

1. No they're not.

2. I'm speaking towards the way the United States Justice System currently carries out capital punishment cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    There are instances where it is more statistically sound to remove a threat from society than to correct it. Long term incarceration can be expensive, and that money is better spent on people who haven't intentionally destroyed the lives of others.

It needs to apply to very specific crimes though, so that it does not get overused. Outside of the absolute destruction of life, I don't really approve Capital Punishment. For murder cases however, I have no issue with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Bullets are very cheap.
    So you support killing innocent people? Also sounds like you're under the impression that the capital punishment is used for crimes other than murder.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    So you support killing innocent people? Also sounds like you're under the impression that the capital punishment is used for crimes other than murder.
    Capital punishment is used in non-murder cases, particularly in cases of repeated aggravated rapes and sexual violence against children.

The idea that all people can be rehabilitated is...naive, at best. Psychiatrists are very simple people to trick.
    Norwegians know how to rehabilitate well. I would turn to them for some advice, take what makes sense from their system for your country and use it. Obv you won't afford the architecture there.
    Guardian read

also to your other comment, it's statistically more expensive to sentence to death than life imprison.
    Lots of examples listed http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

If someone can be corrected, I say correct them.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2014-05-04 at 07:31 AM.

Deleted
    Untill innocent lives are lost to it even if it is just a small a degree I'm against it but when they fully know they got the right man/woman they can do it for me if the crime was severe enough but only after they suffered a little bit in the worst jail in hes/her country.

Quote Originally Posted by Axaron View Post
    Capital punishment is used in non-murder cases, particularly in cases of repeated aggravated rapes and sexual violence against children.
    No, it's not. If you're referring to another country outside the US, that's not what was being discussed.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    You know I hear a lot of Americans say that (I'm American myself) and then I point out the amazing non-recurring crime percentage that happens after someone goes to a Scandanavian prison and they still are like, "IT'S PUNISHMENT, MURICA!!!" kind of thing. I would have thought we were better than this being a world power, I'm ashamed.
    Hey everyone

I was for Captial Punishment until about 5 years ago. I was steadfastly in support of it. The ongoing reviews of the process, the horrible things States do to conceal their practices regarding it, the injustices seemingly that are prevalent in it's practice, and also how it undermines our Moral Standing have all turned me against it. This episode in Oklahoma is just... revolting to the extreme.

I still support some Capital Punishment. I support the Federal Government doing it for a narrow list of crimes, like treason, assassination, spying, war crimes (by our people and enemy combatant)... that kind of thing.

But I do not support it anymore for more conventional felonies, even murder of anyone or anything in anyway. I say this as the brother to a New York Assistance District Attorney in a very violent part of the city. It is not justice. I especially do not trust the states to handle execution. Just as revolting as the manner in which that Oklahoma execution occured, is how the State reduced transparency of the process, and then threatened the state Judiciary who sought to stop it. There is no justice in any process that is not transparent, and no justice in any system where elected officials can threaten judges to get their way on a matter of the law.

It needs to go. As practiced by the States, it is cruel and unusual. I truly hope Obama issues a blanket communion to life imprisonment for all death row inmates, at the very least until the process is reformed.

A country that is against the death penalty should be against war as well. A wasps life is worth saving until you get stung, right?

I was listening to a radio program on the way home from work the other day. It was a newspaper journalist giving his insight into the political views of this very topic. He stated that internal polling by both major Australian political parties know that capital punishment is gaining in popularity. He expressed the knowledge that both parties know that if they ran on the platform of re-introducing the death penalty, it would help them win that election. He stated that the parties have a 'gentlemen's agreement' NOT to do this though.

Personally, I'm against it more than for it, simply because of human error. If the wrong person can be convicted of a crime and sentenced to jail, then the wrong person can be executed. The wrongly jailed person can get some kind of compensation for their imprisonment. The wrongly executed person can't get their life back.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

People don't come to threads on internet forums about hot button issues to change their minds. They come to yell at each other with their pre-formed opinions.

I am no exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    A country that is against the death penalty should be against war as well. A wasps life is worth saving until you get stung, right?
    That's a really bad comparison. I don't think there are any countries in the civilized world in favor of war. Protecting yourself and your allies is not the same thing as being in favor of war. And throwing murderers in jail accomplishes the analogous thing.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    Please look at the big picture.

In Canada, the 1993 homicide
    rate was some 25% below the rate at the time of abolition. Other nations
    such as Great Britain have experienced increases in murder--but even
    greater increases in other violent crimes which were never subject to death
    sentences. Some years ago this passage from a United Nations study summed
    it up: "It is generally agreed that the data which now exist show no
    correlation between the existence of capital punishment and lower rates of
    capital crime."19 The conclusion still holds. pdf

Corruption being low in china? Not really, It's a major issue
    http://dailyreckoning.com/over-10000...f-120-billion/

Money laundering is a HUGE problem.

Rehabilitation and low poverty rates are key in lowering crime.
    Norway recivism is about 20%, a country well known for gentle justice, and it's because of low poverty, rehabilitative justice, and less likely to be treated as criminals after they serve their crime.
    Fertilizing the soil and removing parasites are both important when you tend to the garden. Of course removing the very reason for criminal behavior is a more reasonable measure, and should be a top priority, but still, some people won't appreciate even that.