View Poll Results: Agree "if you don't raid, you don't need raid gear"?

Voters
1323. You may not vote on this poll
  • Completely Agree

    655 49.51%
  • Somewhat Agree

    269 20.33%
  • Neither Agree or Disagree

    64 4.84%
  • Somewhat Disagree

    85 6.42%
  • Completely Disagree

    250 18.90%
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ...
11
19
20
21
22
23
31
... LastLast
  1. #401
    The Lightbringer Simulacrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    3,068
    Gear is the game's means of character progression. The gear's in-game utility is a secondary concern.
    Dr Johnson, they said: “we are delighted to find that you’ve not included any indecent or obscene words in your dictionary.”
    “Ladies, said dr Johnson, “I can congratulate you on being able to look them up.”

  2. #402
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Actually the reason plenty of people want this change to happen has little to do with creating a gap between people doing LFR and people doing hard modes.
    The reason is so that people don't just cap, run LFR a few times and think that there's no point in progressing any further.

    Far from wanting to create a rift, plenty of raiders would really like to see a big new influx of people to raiding in WoD.

    What this change does is create a reason for people to venture beyond LFR.
    It could be , I would argue that does people had no intention to raid any further to begin with regardless of the change. In other word they were never a nominee for higher level raiding difficulty. I guess will have to wait and see. Its gonna an interest expansion I can tell you that.
    Last edited by Freaknsweet; 2014-05-05 at 12:03 AM.

  3. #403
    Considering this game is full of morons who think they are "t3h sh13t! for whatever reason and are smug as fuck when they see "Uh his gear is not of that color and that style. lol noob" im by now of the opinion they should throw fucking heroic-gear out for everyone and their dog and then play the game to see which of those loudmouthed people are actually just lucky to be in a group that carries them and who's struggle to raid has nothing todo with their skills. But that is beside the point i guess...

    Of course raid-gear is for raiders... but i am a bit puzzled some do not consider LFR raiding. It actually is, believe it or not. Dumbed down, yes. Ridiclously easy at times, no doubt, but that doesn't change the fact these people are raiding and im pretty fine when they get a weaker T-Set for their own. If you really want to distinguish then please, wear the set of the color of your difficulty and the problem is solved. I grant LFR-Raiders their cheaper T-Sets. Not entirely unselfish tho as i till to this day have been sitting there with an LFR-Helmet... ...while the rest is partly Normal- and Heroic-Mode. I also only got the set-bonus through it because im wearing a different pair of gloves with superior stats. Go figure.

    edit: I actually agree with Freaknsweet and his quoter tho. It could serve as a motivator to push people towards the other difficulties instead of being satisfied with LFR... but i doubt it will work like that. People that go LFR to get that Gear probably also care enough to went to do the next step anyway. And people who don't care about the Tier-Sets are likely to not care then as well... So (to me) it seems like all we get is nothing and i lose an additional chance to make up for the pissing bullshit blizzard calls "loot-system".
    Last edited by SoundOfGuns; 2014-05-05 at 12:06 AM.
    Draaaaaven.

  4. #404
    Quote Originally Posted by Freaknsweet View Post
    It could be , I would argue that does people had no intention to raid any further to begin with regardless of the change. In other word they were never a nominee for higher level raiding difficulty. I guess will have to wait and see. Its gonna an interest expansion I can tell you that.
    Granted there are going to be people who even after trying the new flex raids and group finder don't like them and decide to stick to LFR, but I actually don't think that is going to be that many people. Certainly I would expect only a few of those people who do move on to normal mode will continue on to mythic mode.

    Normal modes through the group finder shouldn't take much longer to put together than the LFR queue takes anyway, they may even form faster. So the time isn't going to be too much of an issue. As far as difficulty goes often flex runs are a lot smoother than LFR, and in terms of the actual relative difficulty of them there isn't really that big a gap.

    Planned raids, whilst not possible for everyone, are better still. You start to get to know people, you know that after 1 wipe your tank isn't just going to leave the group, you know what to expect a bit more. You aren't queueing up thinking "I hope I don't get a raid full of dicks". Unless you joined a guild of dicks, then it's your fault.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2014-05-05 at 12:30 AM.

  5. #405
    I don't really care, it's a pretty meaningless issue to me. Gear is gear, and as long as it's good enough to stay relevant in that content for the next tier, that's all I need. Which is why I don't like arena gear and raid gear being better for battlegrounds than honor gear, but that's another issue.

  6. #406
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Blizzard is crazy about gear lately.
    The last patch creates 4 tiers. ilevel difference is 50+.

    Now it tries to give LFR no tier bonus and bad looking gear.
    The argument is "if you don't raid, you don't need raid gear".

    Do you agree?
    I don't see where they made that argument. Gear from LFR is still raiding gear.

    What is more, the pieces of gear missing from LFR in Warlords is more an attempt to offer an incentive for players to move towards at least Normal-mode raiding, and actually experience some legitimate raid encounters; than a punishment for not doing so, or an attempt to increase the prestige of players that do.

    So it seems to me that this is more your argument than theirs. And it would help everyone reading such a post for this distinction to be made, so everything is clear.

    As for your argument: World of WarCraft is a videogame, nobody needs anything in a videogame, ever. So, your, possibly exaggerated, argument is false in my opinion.

    Now, if it is indeed exaggerated, and you don't really mean "need," but would write something like "desire"/"wish"/etc if you were more literal: then I think that the problem does not as much lie with the "If you don't raid, you shouldn't want for raid gear" attitude, but an underlying problem of the game: as a whole, World of WarCraft is too focused on raiding. An activity that is not much of an inherent interest to the majority of the game's players.

    But it's the one PvE activity with the most attention paid to by the game's developers, the one with the most work being put on, the one advertised the most, the one where the developers of the game try to shoehorn almost everyone in; and as a result, the only endgame PvE piece of content that offers as high and as engaging a development of a player's character.

    As much as raid-focused players -that seem like an overwhelming majority in places such as these forums, but pose such a minuscule minority in the actual game's community- don't realize its value, and on the contrary quite often even outright despise it; levelling is what most players enjoy the most in a role-playing game such as this. The reason is primarily the continuous development of their character. Always some more power to be attained, a new rank of a spell, a new ability; something to shake the paradigm of how the character plays.

    That is until you reach the final level, and all that is removed pretty much. No new abilities, more powerful versions of existing ones... nothing. In WoW in particular, with its quite limited development concepts in the first place, the change is even more disappointing: there were not that many things to gain while levelling to begin with, courtesy of the extreme streamlining of the game, and the ridiculousness that is the game's current levelling experience; but at the endgame things get even worse than the quite bad that they already are.

    The only thing that remains really is raw increase of existing power. Which happens through gear and only.

    What is more there is next to nothing other than whacking things in dungeons in endgame to keep players happily occupied; nothing as advanced as raiding is. There is no in-depth exploration for example. No need for special equipment to help a character survive a hostile environment, like a pair of sturdy boots for example to not fall apart from the toxicity of an area's soil, or warm enough to offer adequate protection against the horrible chill of a mountain's slopes. Nope, boots in this game help in upgrading your stamina/intellect/etc bars and only. Because the game is that shallow and limited. Even though most of its players wish it were not.

    And here is the problem: with only beating on things in dungeons being most of what endgame is about, and the only means to advance your character in any way being by default to be able to beat harder, what are all the people that don't like, are not interested, or just don't have the time to participate in Heroic and Mythic raiding to do?

    If the game was a proper -not even advanced, just proper at this point would do- open-world role-playing game, with actual respect for the players and their varying playstyles; then all parts of the game would be adequately developed for, and would be suitably advanced. Starting with exploring (open world) and shaping of character and questing (role playing) of course. If someone in such a scenario was into survival in the wild for example, a tent that would help him stay somewhat safe while recovering would be worth ten epic-quality belts. An advanced gnomish engineer wouldn't even notice someone's shiny new axe, if it was next to the missing part of the schematics of Blow-your-self-up-and-probably-not-survive-atron 3512. A player dabbling in questing wouldn't notice a whole squad of decked out raiders passing by if he was immersed in an actually gripping storyline. But no, in this open-world role-playing game, the world is so small and mostly shallow and non-interactive, the activities so bland and few, that sooner or later the only thing to look forward to is increasing your generic attributes, even if provided with an actually interesting-to-you activity of good quality, you would hardly know anything about raiding, much less busy yourself thinking about its rewards.

    So I think that it's good that potential raiders are given an incentive to enjoy actual raiding. And with the new Normal mode even more than ever before. The problem with the whole thing is that raiding is not as popular as to warranty such attention from the developers on the cost of other activities that would offer so much more enjoyment to the majority of the millions of people that make this such a successful game to begin with. So people that genuinely don't want to raid have nothing else but raiding to do for the most part.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2014-05-05 at 01:04 AM.

  7. #407
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfGuns View Post
    Considering this game is full of morons who think they are "t3h sh13t! for whatever reason and are smug as fuck when they see "Uh his gear is not of that color and that style. lol noob"
    You sound pretty mad to be perfectly honest. On your question why lfr is no raiding - easy. There is no chance of failure. Success is guaranteed even regardless of you being actually physically present.
    I am aware that the concept of actually playing a game is probably not what the future holds for mainstream gaming as a lot of monetizing concepts of other titles clearly show but I don't see why you shouldn't at least be honest about it.

  8. #408
    High Overlord hotmess's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    152
    I somewhat agree with it. I don't think non-raiders need raiding gear because.. they aren't raiding and getting the proper gear to progress in raiding. But I feel if LFR is all that people do (on top of say, dailies, dungeons, scenarios etc -- everything but actual raiding) then they should be able to progress their gear enough that they can be "OP" in max level questing content. I know, I know.. questing is easy. Dailies are easy and repetitive and boring, BUT, people should be able to progress gear wise enough that they can possible handle "group" quests alone fairly easy. Especially if we get more content like the Timeless Isle, the Isle of Thunder (was that the name of it?) and The Isle of Giants.

    Any other reason to "need raid gear" to not raid, imo, just seems invalid and greedy.

  9. #409
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Because everything is life is relative.

    How rare something is, depends on how many people have it. When everyone and their grandmother has something, it becomes not rare and worthless. Value goes up when it is less common, and eventually more rare.

    Less people in tier will make them more rare, therefore in their mind worth more. When everyone has it, it becomes something common that not worth happy about.

    That is why some of the semi hardcore players want the lower rank people unable to get the same items, achievements, and even want them removed for the next tier. Whereas the VERY hardcore don't really care about it, because they know what they have is more rare than everyone else's anyway.
    Jealousy is not a legitimate argument to deny other people playing the game to have access to something. You don't reward childish behavior.

  10. #410
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    The whole notion that you don't need gear if you're not gonna do raid progress is, in my opinion, a weak excuse to justify people's disdain for LFR. If heroic (soon mythic) raids were tuned in such a way that they dropped no gear and were all about the challenge, you can bet the same people saying LFR players don't need gear would be flooding rivers with their tears over not being rewarded.
    But you're looking at it wrong. Mythic gear drops are to help you progress in Mythic, just as LFR gear is to help you "progress" in LFR. Then, if you wish to move up a difficulty level, you do so once you've attained a suitable item level from your current difficulty.
    These forums are just a sad echo chamber, and MMO-C is more like an echo outhouse, but fortunately (or maybe I'm just lucky), most people you actually meet in game are not like that.

  11. #411

  12. #412
    Warchief Seefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A little south of sanity
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Freaknsweet View Post
    Agree which is why I said "most" I know their are cases were adults behave worst than preschool children.
    Actually it couldn't even be most............if say everyone in the world had an excess of gold, the value drops, if something isn't rare the value drops in the world whether it be metals or cars or heck even baseball cards.
    No child these days ever gets to hear those all-important, character building words: "You lost, Bobby! You lost, you're a loser, Bobby!" They miss out on that. You know what they tell a kid who lost these days? "You were the last winner." A lot of these kids never get to hear the truth about themselves until they're in their twenties. When their boss calls them in and says "Bobby, clean the shit out of your desk and get the fuck out of here, you're a loser."

  13. #413
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    You sound pretty mad to be perfectly honest. On your question why lfr is no raiding - easy. There is no chance of failure. Success is guaranteed even regardless of you being actually physically present.
    I am aware that the concept of actually playing a game is probably not what the future holds for mainstream gaming as a lot of monetizing concepts of other titles clearly show but I don't see why you shouldn't at least be honest about it.
    Yeah. Sure, success in lfr isn't '100%' guaranteed if you're in a suitably terrible group, but on the other hand it's also possible to contribute to coast through lfr doing barely anything and standing in aoe every boss. And unless the raid wipes multiple times nobody ever takes the time to actually take a look at whether you're doing anything for the most part.

    Even Flex mode requires vastly more effort than LFR. And LFR is getting its own unique armor set. If they were getting recolored questing/crafted gear I could see the issue, but they get their own armor set, and whether you think a set is ugly or not is subjective. I think the lfr sets in WoD look better than some tier sets we've had for classes.
    "If you have to believe it on faith, you have no reason to believe it at all.” Aron Ra

  14. #414
    Once built up, garrisons will provide normal mode quality gear without raiding, and the CM Bronze Medal daily yields a LFR-level item too.

  15. #415
    The Lightbringer Grym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in UK where there is chicken
    Posts
    3,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Kainara View Post
    Jealousy is not a legitimate argument to deny other people playing the game to have access to something. You don't reward childish behavior.
    Not really "jealous", afterall, what the raiders have are better, however, the value will be lowered if everyone can get the same or something too similar.

    It may be a childish behaviour, but Blizzard is going with it.

  16. #416
    The Lightbringer UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    ...in every RPG getting gear and advancing your character is fun and a big part of the game. If you can't do that because you don't raid then what's the point of even playing the game.
    Only reply worth reading really. Pretty much what its all about, character progression. The problem is Blizzard only really have raiding as their end game so it's all anyone can think of. It's not about not needing better gear because you don't raid. It's about progressing your character where and how you want. Raiders are too far up themselves these days to get that it seems.

    Rarely updated...

  17. #417
    Warchief Seefer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A little south of sanity
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Not really "jealous", afterall, what the raiders have are better, however, the value will be lowered if everyone can get the same or something too similar.

    It may be a childish behaviour, but Blizzard is going with it.
    Actually childish behavior is "I want that, I don't want to do what is required to get it so I will throw a temper tantrum the likes that make a 4 year old blush"
    No child these days ever gets to hear those all-important, character building words: "You lost, Bobby! You lost, you're a loser, Bobby!" They miss out on that. You know what they tell a kid who lost these days? "You were the last winner." A lot of these kids never get to hear the truth about themselves until they're in their twenties. When their boss calls them in and says "Bobby, clean the shit out of your desk and get the fuck out of here, you're a loser."

  18. #418
    In any case, Ion said Heroic Dungeons will be harder than LFR, and HDungeons don't drop tier or set bonuses.

    Case closed.
    These forums are just a sad echo chamber, and MMO-C is more like an echo outhouse, but fortunately (or maybe I'm just lucky), most people you actually meet in game are not like that.

  19. #419
    No, I don't agree. Gear is the main progression past the level cap increases. Don't have more gear, can't do more content that gets added. Squeezing off paths of progression is a bad idea in a gear-grind game. And I hope Blizzard will be taught that lesson just as they were taught in Cata, which caused them to intro Raid Finder in the first place to get people back in the game.

  20. #420
    Further more this thought of "Nothing except tiers and trinkets count as loot/progression in LFR" school of thought is beyond me. So we should keep tiers and trinkets in LFR and remove anything else, problem solved. right?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •