Poll: Agree "if you don't raid, you don't need raid gear"?

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I voted "somewhat agree", but now that I think about it, I actually completely disagree. The better gear you have the faster you kill stuff, which is what WoW is, a game where you kill mobs, and loot.
    Yes, but LFR is not the place to get gear. LFR is a tourist mode for people who can't see the content otherwise, not a place to get loot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted "somewhat agree", but now that I think about it, I actually completely disagree. The better gear you have the faster you kill stuff, which is what WoW is, a game where you kill mobs, and loot. If Blizzard made it so that your gear scales down in the "world", then yes, I'd agree.
    Eh not really. That would be Diablo. The point of WoW is to progress, which is a different thing. Whether it be to level and build your best pet battle team, max out your professions, get balanced PvP gear, grow your farm, etc you are progressing for different reasons. Not all of which including killing things faster. The only environment in which killing things faster is a real goal is, you guessed it, raids!

10+ Year Old Account
    When has raiding become about gear? When I used to raid, raiding was about the challenge and being with friends not gear. I never gave two shits about other players outside of my raid team and what they wore. It seems now that its opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragore View Post
    When has raiding become about gear? When I used to raid, raiding was about the challenge and being with friends not gear. I never gave two shits about other players outside of my raid team and what they wore. It seems now that its opposite.
    Are we really going to pretend that getting good gear as a reward was never something people considered when getting into raiding ?
    I voted "somewhat agree", but now that I think about it, I actually completely disagree. The better gear you have the faster you kill stuff, which is what WoW is, a game where you kill mobs, and loot. If Blizzard made it so that your gear scales down in the "world", then yes, I'd agree.
    No. Power against normal mobs is fine even in non raiding gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    Are we really going to pretend that getting good gear as a reward was never something people considered when getting into raiding?
    Are we really going to pretend that hardcore raiders put in all that time and effort to just get gear?

I don't see why Blizzard can't turn the tier gear marks that drop right now and turn them into statless transmog sets instead. This way LFR players can get the ugly gear with stats that Blizz is making and use it to progress into Normal mode while at the same time having access to a recolored version of the tier look. Normal and heroic raiders won't need to run LFR because there won't be set bonuses or trinkets. Everyone wins.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    Yes.

Stop with the stupid inflation and give casuals more routes to get "nice" looking things for transmog. An overall win/win for absolutely everybody.
    They do /not/ need inflated ilevels as it just causes problems like with the gap this expansion.

If my alts need gear I'll just do it in the new normal mode.
    You can always get gear for transmog next patch! Not even expansion! Next PATCH!
    But you are taking away something much more important from HC raiders - prestige! Motivation! if every casual player can get EXACTLY same looking sets for afking in lfr, what is the point to not transmog for HC raiders? If everyone wears same sets, it looses its art value! uniqueness..
    How can you not get it! ?

Are we really going to pretend that hardcore raiders put in all that time and effort to just get gear?
    No. But acting like gear isn't an incentive for a lot of "hardcore" raiders is a bit too far away from reality for my taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um...yes? You need gear to be able to progress through the challenges of hardcore raiding. Gear doesn't need to be your motivation for raiding, but gear matters quite a bit when raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Eh not really. That would be Diablo. The point of WoW is to progress, which is a different thing. Whether it be to level and build your best pet battle team, max out your professions, get balanced PvP gear, grow your farm, etc you are progressing for different reasons. Not all of which including killing things faster. The only environment in which killing things faster is a real goal is, you guessed it, raids!
    Level 1-90 without killing anything, and tell me how long it takes you. You can't heal people in BGs or Instances either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um...yes? You need gear to be able to progress through the challenges of hardcore raiding. Gear doesn't need to be your motivation for raiding, but gear matters quite a bit when raiding.
    And I understand that but what I'm pointing out is that because a certain % of the player base doesn't raid doesn't mean that they shouldn't have access to gear. Because with this kind of logic that people are throwing around you can alienate the normal raider the heroic raiders the world first raiders, etc. What if blizzard made normal the only instance that drops loot and heroic/mythic the difficulty goes up not needing more gear. Would you then continue to raid? It has been proving almost every new raid content that better gear isn't needed to kill bosses (to a certain extent).

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    I wonder why the, "they don't deserve what we have" crowd has the loudest voices. I am much more partial to the idea that different difficulties have different looking gear. We would benefit from that in replay value and xmog and w/e other shit that comes down to, "I run all this every week, because, fashion"
    Tastyfish you won this forum debate Personally I don't care about what other people are winning & wearing I would just like the opportunity to chase my loot carrot and not look like a hot mess once its obtained.

10+ Year Old Account
    Level 1-90 without killing anything, and tell me how long it takes you. You can't heal people in BGs or Instances either.
    You said killing things faster. Killing things faster is an incentive to help you hit your main goal while leveling (level 90) but not your main goal itself.

Deleted
    It would never work if it didn't give any rewards. The rewards makes players run it multiple times, if they did not there wouldn't be sufficient players in queue to run it the first time to begin with.

At the end of the day everyone want to feel they are progressing their character by getting stronger, so in that sense yes they do need the gear.
    Last edited by mmocb2358cdeee; 2014-05-07 at 04:53 PM.

You said killing things faster. Killing things faster is an incentive to help you hit your main goal while leveling (level 90) but not your main goal itself.
    If you want to spend a few minutes killing a Warscout go for it, meanwhile I'll kill it in about 10 seconds.

When the Xbox generation of entitled children looking for handouts started overrunning this game.

Side note: It always amuses me that people who claim to have no time for structured raiding or even flex raiding can spend hours verbally fighting to the death on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to spend a few minutes killing a Warscout go for it, meanwhile I'll kill it in about 10 seconds.
    Meanwhile pet battle players, farmers, PvPers, achievement hunters etc wouldn't really care. Just saying killing things faster isn't your primary goal in WoW though it can be an incentive when completing other goals. You don't need raid gear to complete your other goals, so why should you get raid gear outside of raiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    The central tenet of the game is character progression, and without gear that stops dead in the water at level cap. If they can't be assed to give other means of progression or change the dynamic of the game to where that progression is moot, then gear is absolutely necessary.

Does it need to be on par with what the hardcore types are wearing? No. Not at all. But if there's no progression, there's no reason to keep up a sub.
    You win the debate too

If you don't commit to a 10 or 25 man raid team why would you need raiding gear to begin with? You aren't going to raid with it nor will you run raids to earn it so why get a free handout?

Just makes the other people that actually earn their gear feel less accomplished, because you can get the same results for less effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Alocin View Post
    If you don't commit to a 10 or 25 man raid team why would you need raiding gear to begin with? You aren't going to raid with it nor will you run raids to earn it so why get a free handout?

Just makes the other people that actually earn their gear feel less accomplished, because you can get the same results for less effort.
    This is bad terminology which really gets at the heart of the issue. Put down personal feeling, conjecture, and bias. Anything non Pvp related takes PVE Gear. Best PVE gear happens to be gear rewarded from Raiding. In theory, if you don't raid, but you still do other things, dailies, mount/pet farming, and several others, you're going to interact with Pve mobs and the need to kill them. If there is no other way to progress, become more efficient, and grow in that avenue, it's a deterrent to the player base. WoW survives off of subscriptions and the casuals outnumber the "hardcore elite cuntbags" whether they want to acknowledge or not. They aren't keeping WoW running.

Keeping subscriptions going is the point of WoW. To do so, players need something to do, something to chase, and the illusion of getting "stronger." Giving non raiders avenues to become more efficient at whatever they are tackling shouldn't be an issue. However, children don't like to share their toys.