Thread: Cheating in pvp

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Don't forget Druid powershifting milliseconds after a root or snare lands. This is especially prevalent in WSG and TP (for obvious reasons) but I've seen it happen in every single BG. It's complete bullshit. I can roll whatever I want on them, but eventually they're gonna get away. Even spamming piercing howl on them, I find them double-powershifting out of it, meaning that while I'm still on GCD, they've essentially cleared it twice.
    This doesnt require any exploits, although Im sure it helps some. I keep my forms bound to my mouse wheel which makes double-shifting effortless

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    litereally just fought a hunter in ruins of lorderon, i kill his budy, and its down to 1v1, on 10% health he starts running on the spot, his pet attacking me but i cant attack him, every 15 secs or so he appears at a different place in arena with traps around, then suddenly he disapears all together, after hutning for a while i see his name plate outside the arena, his pet still attacking me. in this time i could hit him with aoe, but nothing else, i eventually beat him.

any ideas what that was? it only started happening when they were about to lose, made the game take 10mins longer than it neeeded.
    simple lagswitch can do this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    simple lagswitch can do this.

really irritating, usually i tihnk its just lag, but he was setting traps still and detterencing.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    really irritating, usually i tihnk its just lag, but he was setting traps still and detterencing.
    it will be laggy on his end too but the advantage is that he knows where he is going and what he is doing.

Auto spell casting is probably going to be fixed with the new addon patch:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12674209697

how does that resolve the bot problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheating isn't punished because this game isn't an e-sport. This isn't street fighter or marvel where there's offline tournaments held around the world. There's actually competition and a lot of people actually participate in those games. You can try and cheat, but you'll get caught and their are actual repercussions from the community.

No this is WoW, where the games pvp isn't supported by Blizzard. It's strictly online, even the fail tournys set up by the twitch heroes. When everything is strictly online, people will always find a way to cheat. And this isn't something Blizzard can just "fix" with a magic wand. They can ban all the people that cheat all they want, it won't change the fact that this game is stuck being played online at a competitive level. You can't have a serious and competitive game that is just strictly online because offline competitions are the only thing that matters.

Why is it stuck online? The game simply doesn't have enough people playing this game. There isn't a stable dedicated base of average players either. Most people on this game either suck or are good/very good. The good players have been playing this game for years too and its usually the same people winning the same titles every season. There aren't any new people thanks to the ridiculous hours you need to put it both on and off the game to be considered decent.

And since there's only a few people playing at 2.2k+ level, it encourages people to cheat. And in the cheaters mind they don't really care as part of the thrill for them is seeing the "honest player" mad at them. And sometimes that honest player see's no reason to be honest anymore and feels the need to fight fire with fire and becomes the monster he set out to destroy.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    how does that resolve the bot problem?
    It breaks the main way someone found to bypass the secure/protected aspect of addons. By dropping outside of the protected functions, people could macro/addon spellcast interrupts instead of having to recognize it themselves, target a person, and then cast their own interrupt/reflect/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    Don't forget;

Auto-spell reflect (using spell reflect at the exact moment the spell is used)
    Auto-cancel cast when an interrupt is used (impossible to land an interrupt)
    Perfect CC

All these are provided as routines for a certain well-known botting program. There are even claims of bot users getting 2400+ rating from people using these routines.

Totally unacceptable.
    Hmm?

I have ran across a few DKs while on my Hunter that could while fighting them miraculously instant death grip me the very moment I hit disengage, where I would not even travel back 2 feet. I wonder if they are using this same type of program?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    Hmm?

I have ran across a few DKs while on my Hunter that could while fighting them miraculously instant death grip me the very moment I hit disengage, where I would not even travel back 2 feet. I wonder if they are using this same type of program?
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I'd bet anything you jump before disengaging. It wouldn't be hard to work out when to use Death Grip.

gripping disengage is easy, that's not cheating and even if it were it would be really pointless.

I HAVE however met grip bots in arena who would insta grip me as soon as I scattered making my screen spin round and fucking up my trap.

Worked around this by using other methods to trap that doesn't involve scatter.

Deleted
    I'm sure some people do use bots, but how do you actually know people use interrupt bots? I interrupt in under 0.5 of a second, that's just my reaction because my thumb is on my gaming mouse ready to click it.

0.5 is not very fast

were talking less than 0.1 second into the cast.

This has been ongoing for years;
    It's such a huge problem in WoW because Blizzard doesn't really do anything about it ontop of the fact people are more compelled to do it because you get in game rewards from an in game system.

I've stopped caring. Entirely.
    Somebody wants to DDoS RBG's? Should have been behind a VPN.
    Somebody wants to buy Gladiator? They shouldn't have put a single time mount on it in an RPG. Wrong genre Blizz.
    Somebody wants to use a lag exploit? Blizzard hasn't fixed their servers in how long?
    Somebody wants to do anything? Blizzard refuses to cut the core.
    Somebody whines about this? Why are you playing this game still after how long?

Most of the people I've played with has cheated in some from in PvP now. There are very few fully legitimate players - and who can blame them when the system pretty much promotes cheating at this rate outside R1 play? (Where it really doesn't matter.)

The only way they're going to "fix" competitive PvP in this game is to make it more tournament based. Where people are actually watching and real money is involved.
    The more they try to taunt people with in game rewards and the more they turn a blind eye the worse it's going to get - Season 12 being the biggest example of reward promoting this crap. (Wintrading in RBG's.)

There's a reason an RPG is not an E-Sport; And don't point to MoBAs to me please. At least those were built around the idea of competitive play now.
    WoW arenas/rbgs were a tack on that probably should have never happened - or at least implemented completely differently.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxinate View Post
    I'm sure some people do use bots, but how do you actually know people use interrupt bots? I interrupt in under 0.5 of a second, that's just my reaction because my thumb is on my gaming mouse ready to click it.

the interrupt bots interrupt before your cast bar even appears, it interrupts basically as you press the spell. there are videos of it on youtube. it would be possible to interrupt that fast, but it would be down to luck not reaction times, which would count for the first one, but when they interrupt 10 casts in a row before the spell bar even appears, thats not reaction time.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Don't forget Druid powershifting milliseconds after a root or snare lands. This is especially prevalent in WSG and TP (for obvious reasons) but I've seen it happen in every single BG. It's complete bullshit. I can roll whatever I want on them, but eventually they're gonna get away. Even spamming piercing howl on them, I find them double-powershifting out of it, meaning that while I'm still on GCD, they've essentially cleared it twice.
    Frankly this is a problem with ridiculous druid mobility more than it is with the addon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    0.5 is not very fast

were talking less than 0.1 second into the cast.
    Yeah 0.5 is 500ms, so like whatever your ms is plus human reaction speed. Ignoring like lag on your keyboard keys :P

0.1 second or less is pretty much the time between you hitting the button and the opposing PC being informed of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    Somebody wants to buy Gladiator? They shouldn't have put a single time mount on it in an RPG. Wrong genre Blizz.
    People bought Glad long before the mount.

I've never really understood why. Hell look at the millions of people botting honor gear, and that shit is worthless. Some people just want to watch the game burn.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    DDoS'ing is obviously against ToS and bannable. The root of the problem is, you can't catch/prove someone is DDoS'ing you. A true DDoS would require the computers flooding your network be mostly unrelated to the person triggering the attack. I can't even begin to imagine how insanely difficult it would be for a Blizzard employee to catch someone DDoS'ing you with enough evidence to ban them.
    Yeah DDoS is a network/internet exploit.

Completely agree, and unless I'm mistaken all bots rely on Click To Move to function. Does any legitimate player actually use Click To Move? I didn't even know it existed till a couple of months ago. If Blizzard simply removed Click To Move, I'd go as far to say all bots would stop working and any that were made consequently would be no-where near as advanced.

Alas they don't, and I may be bold in saying it, but I believe it's because Blizzard still technically earns subscription money from bots.
    But come on, within a week the bot makers would rewrite their code and be back in business. It's an arms race, it can never truly be won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    But come on, within a week the bot makers would rewrite their code and be back in business. It's an arms race, it can never truly be won.
    I may be bold in saying this, but if Blizzard 'truely' wanted to ban bots (yes I'm implying they allow botting to a degree for sub revenue) they could. Something as simple as a captcha on entering a BG; now the bot can't queue multiple BG's without human interaction. Realtime signature scanning for bot programs or at least detection of injections into the game (admittedly I think the first part is actually illegal) or tracing and monitoring character pathing for repetition. I mean they are amulti-billion pound company, I'm sure they could stop it if they really wanted.
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-05-22 at 02:47 PM.

Deleted
    I may be bold in saying this, but if Blizzard 'truely' wanted to ban bots (yes I'm implying they allow botting to a degree for sub revenue) they could. Something as simple as a captcha on entering a BG; now the bot can't queue multiple BG's without human interaction. Realtime signature scanning for bot programs or at least detection of injections into the game (admittedly I think the first part is actually illegal). Tracing and monitoring character pathing for repetition. I mean they multi-billion pound company, I'm sure they could stop it if they really wanted.
    True. However I don't consider botting in wow to be such a big problem overall. Yes, running into a cheating scumbag is very annoying but it happens very rarely to be even a remote threat that legit players will leave the game because of bots. I mean, come on, if they are not bailing en-mass on Elder Bots and Hackers Online, they sure as hell won't bail on wow.

People bought Glad long before the mount.
    ...Do you even know how arenas have worked since their inception?

about 500k People lost their accounts in the banwave in january, People using the automation software PQR and PE, my friend used the PQR bot, and didnt get banned (i copied his wow folder, and got the addon for it, the Interface part of the bot, which i had disabled got banned) so they did take it seriously, but i don't think you can expect a New banewave soon, as it was pretty genius Money making for them to release the 90 boost With the purchase of WoD a few weeks later, blizzard don't like bots but they don't like banning bot accounts either because of the obvious less Income for them, so to make a point to the community every now and then they ban People, but generally botting and those account make up for a fair amount of 100's million each year in Revenue