Page 1 of 8
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Attunements are a necessary evil for WoW.

    Attunements kept every raid in an expansion relevant in each content patch. And because of the necessity to clear harder content, this encouraged guild alliances and social interaction between guilds to get attunements and clear higher tired raids, leading to a stronger community bond.
    Last edited by KOREAN DAVE; 2014-05-04 at 10:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Having no catch up mechanic made them relevant. We couldn't do timeless isle for 535 item level gear and had to trudge through older content to get to higher content.

  3. #3
    I disagree. Keeping "every raid" relevant was a massive burden on guilds and a huge barrier to catching up and playing with friends, which is becoming increasingly important in today's casual, popularized gaming environment.

    With LFR, attunements could make a return, however, allowing an individual player handle their attunement without burdening their guilds, as long as they did not become so long or convoluted that they restricted a player's ability to join their friends in current content.

  4. #4
    All attunements did is slow guilds down with recruitment and make them feel forced to poach members from other guilds. There wasn't a single positive thing about attunements.

  5. #5
    Herald of the Titans Zoaric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The United States of America, Rapture, or Orgrimmar
    Posts
    2,960
    While I do not think that attunements should make a return in the form they previously
    had, I do think that some form of them should return.
    For example: Before entering LFR, you must have either done this quest chain, or have
    done the raid on another character. (Downing the boss or doing the quest chain unlocks
    it account-wide. Also could just be for fun overall, or required for all difficulties.)
    The quest chain would not require previous raids or things from them, instead it could
    require things from around certain zones, or the most recently added dungeons. The
    chain would be able to be completed on multiple characters, but it wouldn't be required.

    -IE: Past the first time, it's just for funsies.

    (PS: I do in fact use LFR.)
    Last edited by Zoaric; 2014-05-04 at 11:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    You can't fight porn on the internet, you may as well declare war on something overwhelming like water on Earth's surface - or something ephemeral like "terror" (lol sorry, had to do it) - or something both overwhelming and ephemeral... like porn on the internet.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    32,119
    Attunements did nothing but gate and keep guilds and people stuck at lower tiers, sometimes forever. It encouraged guild-hopping and poaching.

    I'm not against an attument system if it was specifically account-wide.



  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    All attunements did is slow guilds down with recruitment and make them feel forced to poach members from other guilds. There wasn't a single positive thing about attunements.
    Bar a minor cool factor. The first time.

    Otherwise, Attunements are just a pain in the ass. If we're talking about actual necessary evils, then LFR is one - it may suck a lot of the time and appeal to the lowest common denominator in regards to difficulty, but without it we'd probably not get the quality of Raids we get now.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Bar a minor cool factor. The first time.

    Otherwise, Attunements are just a pain in the ass. If we're talking about actual necessary evils, then LFR is one - it may suck a lot of the time and appeal to the lowest common denominator in regards to difficulty, but without it we'd probably not get the quality of Raids we get now.
    Well the cool factor could still be there, there is nothing preventing them from making quest lines they just don't need to block access. I'd like to see them expand on the legendary quest line style (not saying it has to be a legendary) so it's more than grinding until the end in WoD.

  9. #9
    I like attunements for the fact that it adds back story to the reason you're there. It adds meaning to you being in the raid instead of just showing up to the front door of the big bads lair looking for phat lootz.

    I also agree that it was difficult for guilds to recruit and keep current with content when having to wait for or carry people through the requisite attunement quests to even get them into the raid. If there was a solo quest chain for attunements, that would be fantastic. Having a quest that gives context for why and how we got inside a major stronghold to bring down the big bad would be very much welcome IMO, but only if it was account wide or something that you could do solo.

  10. #10
    I never minded attunements. But I used to spend days running people through Onxyia attunements and didn't mind much. The Vanilla model had its good parts (MC and BWL were super fast to attune to), but most people had issues with the Onxyia attunement. The attunement found in BC was interesting in that it required you to do power progression. A lot of people had issues with that but truthfully a decent guild can easily attune its members in an afternoon.

  11. #11
    Warchief Sinndra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,160
    attunements are not the answer.. adding gear = last tier in some "catch up" concept is what renders a tier irrelevant. when a new tier comes out, it can have new dungeons, but the gear should not be higher than the previous gear. the catch up mechanic should be running older raids in considerably better gear. doing gear runs for new guildies on off nights is what i liked about wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoaric View Post
    While I do not think that attunements should make a return in the form they previously
    had, I do think that some form of them should return.
    For example: Before entering LFR, you must have either done this quest chain, or have
    done the raid on another character. (Downing the boss or doing the quest chain unlocks
    it account-wide.)
    The quest chain would not require previous raids or things from them, instead it could
    require things from around certain zones, or the most recently added dungeons. The
    chain would be able to be completed on multiple characters, but it wouldn't be required.

    -EI: Past the first time, it's just for funsies.

    (PS: I do in fact use LFR.)
    Heroics (and I think lfr) are blocked behind a silver rank in an improved proving ground.

  13. #13
    Over 9000! apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    9,978
    The proving grounds seem to be like a small attunement to me.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  14. #14
    Herald of the Titans Zoaric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The United States of America, Rapture, or Orgrimmar
    Posts
    2,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Heroics (and I think lfr) are blocked behind a silver rank in an improved proving ground.
    It's just Heroics as far as I can recall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    You can't fight porn on the internet, you may as well declare war on something overwhelming like water on Earth's surface - or something ephemeral like "terror" (lol sorry, had to do it) - or something both overwhelming and ephemeral... like porn on the internet.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    I never minded attunements. But I used to spend days running people through Onxyia attunements and didn't mind much. The Vanilla model had its good parts (MC and BWL were super fast to attune to), but most people had issues with the Onxyia attunement. The attunement found in BC was interesting in that it required you to do power progression. A lot of people had issues with that but truthfully a decent guild can easily attune its members in an afternoon.
    The worst attunement was battle for Hyjal imo. Vashj and Kael were miserable fights that no one wanted to go back and do in any guild I was in or knew.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    The proving grounds seem to be like a small attunement to me.
    And I'm all for the proving ground ones, because it serves to protect us in random content.

  16. #16
    The Kara attunements tended to weed out people who couldn't be bothered to do some fairly simple stuff. The others were a massive PITA.

    I'd like some way for all tiers or at least the previous tier to remain relevant... but that's in the past. It's never coming back.

  17. #17
    Hyjal attunement could die in fire. The attunement was actually harder then the raid. Onyxia attunement was awesome on alliance, never got to experience horde. Molten core and BWL attunement was easy also. Naxx attunement sucked but atleast you could opt out of it with cash tho I didn't like it at all.

    There's room for attunement IMO, just don't be insane ones like Hyjal and Naxx..... Also can't remember was serpent hidebound behind rep or was it just the vendor? If the instance was, then I wouldn't want that either even tho the rep was easy to get by those days standard.

    Oh yeah, Kara attunement was good also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

  18. #18
    Over 9000! apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    9,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    And I'm all for the proving ground ones, because it serves to protect us in random content.
    I would love to see a kind of um....raiding proving grounds. Where you as a player play with npcs in a certain raid and you have to do X amount of damage or X amount of healing in that certain to to beat that raid and that will be the attunement.

    Then after that the game could tell you, you need more dps(dots!) or you need to instead attack this guy!, or try not dieing this time!. So you would be doing the raid without your guilds help but you still would need the attunement and that would fill the gap for it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  19. #19
    I don't think anyone who actually played and worked on building/maintaining a guild in any time when attunements were a thing (Whether in WoW or any other MMO) actually thinks attunements were good for the game.

  20. #20
    I really loved attunements, it felt special to accomplish them. I rose to a higher level as a player.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •