Thorim (Ulduar 10) - Solo... or "Bugs at its best"

Hi,

tried Thorim (Ulduar 10) 56 times Hell, i have never seen such a bugged crap in any videogame ever. It´s soooo pathetic by Blizzard, to call it "all old raids are soloable" and on the other side, they are not capable since near 5 years, to fix that crap. I tried it as a hunter (560), by the way. Not tested the other classes.

I invested 2 hours of videos, guides, forum-threads, tips, tricks, bug-using and so on. That boss resets from time to time without any logical reason, here and there and everywhere. Sometimes something is attackable, sometimes not. Sometimes all mobs despawn. Sometimes the blue killer ball zaps around the corner and kill you, despite of the fact, that i was 20m away (and the other times it will work normally). I also had 2 times, after each other, the second part, when the collosus is already down, AFTER a reset of the arena ! My result is, that i think it is impossible (at least as hunter, it seams to me) to kill that holy bugged crap.

I do a lot of achievements the last 2 months. Killed Halion 25HC solo (it´s on YouTube). Get into 8/8 with "You are doing it wrong" with that hunter (died on last mob that fly around and hit hard - btw it´s a awesome achievement in my opinion). And so on. But such a pain, as Thorim, i had never seen before.

As a side note, i got the achievement for "Sif", with a dwarf i take there. Not one of the Arena adds ! A dwarf. Seams like a bug in the bugs bugged that achievement to me But the downside is, i can not get the achievements from Yogg Saron. And it´s also a shame by Blizzard, that they are not able to open the Yagg Saron door, without prerequisites of the 4.

@Blizzard: Shame on you ! Your Company had became a money-melk-machine and it´s a shame for your own past, and the company you was in that time. Your impressive lack of quality is filled with new shiny in-store-mounts. Meeeeh. Can´t believe it. Go to hell and sleep well.

So, if someone had a mystical secret how to do it as a hunter, tell me.

Greets

(sorry for the bad english. i am not a native american and my english is really really not good at all, as you can see ^^)

Have a tanky pet stay in the middle fighting the adds. Problem solved. If you cannot do it as suggested, then the problem is YOU.
    Oceanic spriest, thanks blizz for giving us aus servers. 9/9 mythic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen it was possible for monks to solo by using your port behind the gate once the second set of mobs spawn. This works for locks as well. The tricky part is when you're up on Thorim's platform and you want to drag him down. Haven't been able to do that yet.

If you have a pet it should be easier I reckon.

if you're soloing just to clear for mount farming, get an alt saved up to yogg and just use it to extend the lockout every week (extend on alt, invite a friend, log into other toon, get friends to invite you, zone in). same for icc

don't think blizz ever said that 'all old raids are soloable' though. sure they've helped with some encounters, but maybe thorim is tricky to make soloable, and i'd rather blizz work on current content than old.

Ulduar 10 is soloable by clearing the adds, opening the door, aggoring the big guy in front of the first door and running back to the arena before the ball comes to kill you, then dropping a long-term aoe/pet to aggro the reset arena bros while running back through the gate before it closes. Kill big miniboss guy that you still have aggrod from earlier and progress through the hallway to thorim, kill the adds you aggrod from the arena to start Thorim's conversation and then hit him when sif starts talking to bring him down.
    This does not work in 25 man as if nobody is present in the arena when sif starts talking, the swirly ball immediately deploys and kills you, rather than the delay it has in 10 man.

Hey, I do Thorim weekly on my hunter (553, although ilvl doesn't matter as much until you get to Yogg). Agree he's a bit of an asshole.

Here's what I do:

1) I personally dismiss my pet because they tend to do weird shit on me here.
    2) Kill initial arena mobs, open door, turn on Cheetah.
    3) Kill mobs in the hallway, making sure to do so quickly so they can't hit me and proc the daze from Cheetah.
    4) Aggro the initial Colossus by spamming something weak like Counter Shot, so I can hit it as soon as possible while only letting an auto attack hit it, if any damage. Quickly disengage/rocket jump (goblin) back down the hallway. Never had an issue with being hit by the lightning ball from a big distance away, don't know what to tell you.
    5) This is the part that will take some trial and error. Learn where the Dark Rune Acolyte spawns in the arena before killing him. I leave an Explosive Trap here, because he's an outlier from the rest of the arena mobs. I leave a Frost Trap roughly in the middle, because it's an effect with a much wider radius that will piss off everything else. Leave these and get back into the tunnel ASAP. Don't kill the Colossus early.
    6) If you did the above step correctly, when the fight entirely resets, your traps should aggro all arena mobs to you. It's safe to kill the Colossus at this point, but leave at least one arena mob alive until you're close to pulling Thorim. Work through the tunnel as normal.
    7) When you're close to Thorim, kill the last arena mob and get his RP going. Right about the time he says "what is this", you should get ready to piss him off, as Sif is about to show up. This is a small window, so make sure you get in there quickly around this time, but not too fast. Too early and Sif won't have shown up, which causes him to jump down and despawn. Too late and you get shiny ball of death down the hallway again.

Hope this is solid enough information for you, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    I've seen it was possible for monks to solo by using your port behind the gate once the second set of mobs spawn. This works for locks as well. The tricky part is when you're up on Thorim's platform and you want to drag him down. Haven't been able to do that yet.

You need to attack him just as the attack icon via mouse over is visible on him, if you attack too early or too late he will despawn again.

I know that's probably not what you want, OP, but my suggestion would be to pay someone to stay on the arena while you do the rest. 500g or maybe even less should do it, I had no problems getting people who have just leveled or just plain have nothing else to do to help with something like that for that kind of money. Just clear everything first so that it really is 10 minutes or so for them.

I am soloing a lot of things, have tried to solo Thorim many times over as well (only succeeded once), and in the end, it isn't worth the time. Just pay someone to stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alteron View Post
    Hey, I do Thorim weekly on my hunter (553, although ilvl doesn't matter as much until you get to Yogg). Agree he's a bit of an asshole.

Here's what I do:

1) I personally dismiss my pet because they tend to do weird shit on me here.
    2) Kill initial arena mobs, open door, turn on Cheetah.
    3) Kill mobs in the hallway, making sure to do so quickly so they can't hit me and proc the daze from Cheetah.
    4) Aggro the initial Colossus by spamming something weak like Counter Shot, so I can hit it as soon as possible while only letting an auto attack hit it, if any damage. Quickly disengage/rocket jump (goblin) back down the hallway. Never had an issue with being hit by the lightning ball from a big distance away, don't know what to tell you.
    5) This is the part that will take some trial and error. Learn where the Dark Rune Acolyte spawns in the arena before killing him. I leave an Explosive Trap here, because he's an outlier from the rest of the arena mobs. I leave a Frost Trap roughly in the middle, because it's an effect with a much wider radius that will piss off everything else. Leave these and get back into the tunnel ASAP. Don't kill the Colossus early.
    6) If you did the above step correctly, when the fight entirely resets, your traps should aggro all arena mobs to you. It's safe to kill the Colossus at this point, but leave at least one arena mob alive until you're close to pulling Thorim. Work through the tunnel as normal.
    7) When you're close to Thorim, kill the last arena mob and get his RP going. Right about the time he says "what is this", you should get ready to piss him off, as Sif is about to show up. This is a small window, so make sure you get in there quickly around this time, but not too fast. Too early and Sif won't have shown up, which causes him to jump down and despawn. Too late and you get shiny ball of death down the hallway again.

Hope this is solid enough information for you, good luck!

Good explanation. Already known all of it. I have 0, absolutely 0 problems with come up to Thorims platform. "If" no bug occurs. "If" (in example) not all mobs despawn without any reason while you are going upstairs to Thorim. "If" not all mobs despawn when the killer ball and the colossus come (2-3 times of 10 try´s). Try the encounter often. The more often you try, the more bugs you will get. Promised

Btw: I have never had any problems (worked since first time) to get the Arena mobs into the tunnel. I placed 2 traps on both side of the circle. Worked always. The real problem is up on the top, on Thorims platform. No RP incoming. 20 try´s. 2 times Sif started his RP-stuff. In the other 18 try´s NOTHING happened. If you trigger Thorim, he jumps into the arena, is un-attackable and after 5-10s the encounter resets. Regardless if you jump before or after him into the arena. The 2 times Sif was even there, after his RP nothing happens. Boss unattackable stands where he was. BUT perhaps in that 2 cases (was very early of my try´s) i did not noticed the 1-2s window when he says "Wait, whats...", i think.

Oh, and some of you sound like you did not even try Thorim once in life. It sounds like you stupidly repeat words of others that really killed him

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ylera View Post
    if you're soloing just to clear for mount farming, get an alt saved up to yogg and just use it to extend the lockout every week (extend on alt, invite a friend, log into other toon, get friends to invite you, zone in). same for icc

don't think blizz ever said that 'all old raids are soloable' though. sure they've helped with some encounters, but maybe thorim is tricky to make soloable, and i'd rather blizz work on current content than old.
    yes, i know. but it is good to mention it here.

its easy to clear with the bug, and yes it is soloable

it despawns when you kill the adds

1. aoe the first room adds. RUN OUT QUICK to the gauntlet with a speed boost and kill (engineer boots or class buff)
    2. wait for ball of lightning to come to door before going in otherwise it 1 shots you, head back into corridor
    3. Go to the corridor room by thorim and stand near the corner (ROOM WITH TRAPS IN THE CENTER) and kill adds once near a corner
    4. Thorim respawns and you kill him after a few seconds of the Roleplay preferably when the female is talking
    Last edited by lunaru; 2014-05-20 at 08:17 AM.

ah,

i forget a small tip: buy swiftness potion, then you do not need cheetah, and the mobs can not daze you. so all became a little bit more stressless. came into my mind, after 10th try or so, and works really well. more relaxed try´s, if you have to try it as often as i do at the moment (the counter says 64 ^^).

Btw: I have never had any problems (worked since first time) to get the Arena mobs into the tunnel. I placed 2 traps on both side of the circle. Worked always. The real problem is up on the top, on Thorims platform. No RP incoming. 20 try´s. 2 times Sif started his RP-stuff. In the other 18 try´s NOTHING happened. If you trigger Thorim, he jumps into the arena, is un-attackable and after 5-10s the encounter resets. Regardless if you jump before or after him into the arena. The 2 times Sif was even there, after his RP nothing happens. Boss unattackable stands where he was. BUT perhaps in that 2 cases (was very early of my try´s) i did not noticed the 1-2s window when he says "Wait, whats...", i think.

Oh, and some of you sound like you did not even try Thorim once in life. It sounds like you stupidly repeat words of others that really killed him
    1: He doesn't start talking until all arena mobs are dead. Obviously kill anything that's following you when you're up there, however it's also easy to miss the healer dwarf (Everything else gets into combat on its own and might come to you, he won't even try unless you hit him with a trap/he aggros on snakes or something).

2: He won't be attackable unless you wait to go near him until he's attackable. Hover your mouse over him and as soon as it becomes a sword, move in close enough to pull him and hurry up into the arena. Note that this is much easier to pull off on 10, 25 has a much shorter delay before he fires the lightning orb, so it's a very narrow window on 25 vs. a rather forgiving window on 10.

Really, the encounter is something you can consistently do. These issues your having seem to be not knowing exactly what to do, or not realizing you missed something. The only "bug" with the encounter from a solo PoV is the first miniboss not despawning on a wipe, the only reason it's possible to begin with .

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    I remember trying this with a Water Elemental and it didn't end well.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

When you are closing in on thorim, kill the last arena mob, thorim will begin his RP. As soon as Sif appears and begins her speech, attack thorim and immediately jump down. This timing is critical. Any earlier the fight will reset. Any later the ball of lightning will kill you.

By the way you must have the absolute last mob from the arena alive as you approach thorim and kill it only when you are close to thorim's platform. Sometimes you may have failed to pull 1 mob from arena which can bug the whole fight ( usually the one that heals)
    Last edited by zsun; 2014-05-20 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ylera View Post

Remove ball mechanic, make mobs attack you instead. Doesn't take a genius to do a similar mechanic to Gothik the Harvester (Naxx), where if no one is on one side, the middle gate opens and the mobs pour out to the side with living players.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    @Blizzard: Shame on you ! Your Company had became a money-melk-machine and it´s a shame for your own past, and the company you was in that time. Your impressive lack of quality is filled with new shiny in-store-mounts. Meeeeh. Can´t believe it. Go to hell and sleep well.
    "I am so bad at life, simple logic is beyond me. I cannot do something and it must be because the company is money hungry not because of my own ineptitude. I will bitch on forums instead of trying to get better."

Heh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't find the exact quote, but Blizzard have already stated that Thorim will be fixed in v6.0 for solo purpose...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

he is down. praise the lord. after 79 try´s. along the way 3 new bugs occurred:

1)
    door opened and closed after 3s. i was sooo happy that i was not in there... (2 times)

2)
    ...because ... bug2: complete despawn in tunnel. respawn of colossus, fire´ing rockets right, left, right, left... un-attackable. really do not know what that was ?!?! really. hearthstone was the only option to get out. happens 5 times. i nearly quit.

3)
    freezed on thorims platform (1 time - thank god)

so, how i killed the boss ?

i REALLY REALLY don´t know. as always (> 90%) he do NOTHING (no Sif-RP) after i killed the last Arena-Guy ~20m (tested all distances) behind Thorim on the upper platform. As i walk near to him, to jump in arena, reset and try again, suddenly Sif spawns. But Thorim was not attackable. In the Arena all mobs respawn (reset). BUT Thorim jumped down - resetet - jumped a second time (!!!) down and WHY THE HELL is attackable. I do not wait for a millisecond to kill him and thank god for finishing that IMBA-MONSTER-MEGA-ULTIMATE-KILLER-CRAP !!!!

if i am happy that he is down ? no. i am only glad that it is over. ^^

in the end of the day, i can really confident say: PLZ NEVER EVER AGAIN ! NEVER EVER !!!

i pray for you all out there, that you never have such a behaviour, that i get. really.

thanks for the attempt to help @ you all !

GN8 !