Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    How old are you dare i ask?

When i first started drinking around about age 13 i hated the taste of beer but now im 33 i think its the most refreshing and delicious drink there is.

As you get older you will find things you loved you will begin to hate and things you hate you will begin to love.

I have never liked the taste of alcohol either.

I can drink alcoholic drinks as long as you can't taste the alcohol (so like, wine and beer are disgusting but I can stomach one of those vodka mixers or whatever). Also I only drink until I'm not thirsty, which is like 1 cup. Which kind of defeats the purpose.

I've only ever been drunk (or maybe it was just tipsy) once in my life, on my wedding night when I forced myself to drink half a bottle of champagne. Tasted awful but I figured hey, tradition. Wasn't a particularly pleasant or unpleasant experience (slightly embarrassing maybe? I remember laughing a lot), doesn't seem worth the trouble of drinking alcohol to repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoaric View Post
    I dislike most alcohol I've had. Try the fruity stuff, it may look "unmanly", but damn,
    they're good. And like others have said, it's an acquired taste... sorta...
    (Though beer does get better. )

Yeah this is pretty much me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Somebody hasn't had the almighty breakfast shot. Alcohol that tastes like waffles with syrup. Dear lord. It's like the ultimate get fucked up on awesome drink.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    My experience with alcohol is pretty much the opposite of "acquired taste". When I was first able to legally drink, I had no problem. I didn't think much of the taste, but I could easily chug it down and stuff like that. But over time, my dislike for the taste increased, and now I can't even have a beer without a look of disgust appearing on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    just have to try different ones, i don't like beers that much, if someone buys me a pint ill drink it but i prefer spirits, vodka and ginger beer is nice, anise drinks like ouzo can be either terrible or really nice depending on what you like. there aren't many alcoholic drinks that don't have that nasty alcoholic taste, a while back there was a fermented fruit smoothie thing sold near me, but i can't find them any more, they were great, sooo easy to get mashed on them and not even realise.
    There's alcoholic ginger beer?

I can drink vodka, in small amounts (so it has no effect), essentially because it doesn't taste like anything. So I can't taste it and don't get drunk or even tipsy from it, kind of pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

there is alcoholic ginger beer like this , but you can just buy the soda version and put your own vodka in it, i think its called a Moscow mule.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-05-05 at 05:01 AM.

So! This particular thread reminds me of a particular comedian's routine.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LUjPoyGPKtQ

Now, with that shared! It depends on the drink. Shots of Fireball have become my bar time favorite, but I used to chew big red as a kid, so that helps. Just gotta find a drink you like. Or don't! You don't need to drink to have a good time, you know.

Alcohol is indeed an acquired taste. I've yet to meet the person who would have gone "This is delicious" at their first drink. But regardless, quality and preparation plays a huge role in the ability to enjoy a drink. Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of adults lose their sweet tooth at some point in life and during that stage you develop a new found appreciation for drinks like Stouts, Porters, Scotch, Gin, Wine etc.

OP seems to be from the U.S in which case I recommend you stay away from the cheap commercial drinks and beers that are popular in younger and university circuits. With beers perhaps try Blue Moon or a Coffee Stout (American craft beers are really good, but stay away from the more commercial brands). For drinks if you have a sweet tooth consider something like a Mojito (prepared! not one that comes out of a bottle), Alabama Slammer, Mint Julep or just a plain and simple ice and juice heavy Screwdriver (Vodka&O.J). If you want to try something less sweet and more refreshing try a good dry Gin Tonic (avoid the ones served in tall or Collins glasses, as the gin can't breath, it will have a stronger gin taste).

Quote Originally Posted by Devonna View Post
    So! This particular thread reminds me of a particular comedian's routine.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LUjPoyGPKtQ

Now, with that shared! It depends on the drink. Shots of Fireball have become my bar time favorite, but I used to chew big red as a kid, so that helps. Just gotta find a drink you like. Or don't! You don't need to drink to have a good time, you know.
    Fireball + Angry Orchard = Angry Balls. = Awesome
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was younger, I would have alcopops (or as I called them non, lolly water), I didn't have the taste of beer until I was 17 and I disliked it then. As for today, I enjoy mostly ales and lagers, light to medium. Also including most white wine styles. I don't overly mind cocktails/fruit based drinks, but if I do get one, its not going to be extremely sweet. I've yet to find a red wine that I like though.

Oh and I'm 23 now, so that is in the space of about 7 years.

Almost forgot, I mostly had southern-comfort and coke with varying strengths moreso than alcopops.

PS: I feel sorry for anyone who is in a country with a legal drinking age of 21.
    Last edited by Azelias; 2014-05-05 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    there is alcoholic ginger beer like this , but you can just buy the soda version and put your own vodka in it, i think its called a Moscow mule.
    Whiskey gingers are also a pretty big thing. Ginger ale, whiskey, go go go. Jameson is the usual choice for people.

(Whisky, whiskey, fuuu spelling differences).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Fireball + Angry Orchard = Angry Balls. = Awesome
    I believe I will give that a try after work tomorrow. Good call, kind sir.

I've actually done something similar already. Fireball, apple juice, and sour apple pucker. Dunno what the hell its called, but it tastes magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    OP seems to be from the U.S in which case I recommend you stay away from the cheap commercial drinks and beers that are popular in younger and university circuits. With beers perhaps try Blue Moon or a Coffee Stout (American craft beers are really good, but stay away from the more commercial brands). For drinks if you have a sweet tooth consider something like a Mojito (prepared! not one that comes out of a bottle), Alabama Slammer, Mint Julep or just a plain and simple ice and juice heavy Screwdriver (Vodka&O.J). If you want to try something less sweet and more refreshing try a good dry Gin Tonic (avoid the ones served in tall or Collins glasses, as the gin can't breath, it will have a stronger gin taste).
    All of this is pretty good advice. I'd add since you're in the age group where you're less likely to be judged for it; jaegerbombs. If you're not trying to get turnt; ciders and ales, if you are; shots (sambuca if you don't mind aniseed/being called a girl, jaeger or tequila if you do)

I was a borderline alchy in college, then one day I just stopped drinking and I haven't touched the stuff since. It's whatever people drink some people don't. My advice to you is don't drink if you don't like it, the people who judge you for that aren't real friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Makes no sense considering every male on my mothers side is pretty much a virulent alcoholic at some point in their life.
    That is evolution giving you a hand there.
    That really is a lucky break, you not having alch being palatable with a history of alcoholism in your family.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Helps if you don't smell it. I got over my hatred of alcohol taste by slamming beers / shots as fast as possible. If you're thirsty enough beer does taste good, and gets progressively better every time you drink one.

If you don't like the way it tastes, don't drink it. Pretty simple.

Alcohol isn't intended to taste good. Which is why there's a whole plethora of mixers and cocktails available to make them taste better.

Personally, I love the taste of good bourbon, straight. That being said, a good vodka shouldn't be too hard on your taste buds.I've had incredibly cheap brands that after the first few sips went down like water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on:
    - your personal taste
    - quality of alcohol

There's a reason why some people call drinking beer 'being on the piss', it's because a lot of people drink cheap beer that tastes like piss. It also happens to be the first beer that a lot of people are exposed to in their lives (students/high schoolers/etc tend to start with the cheap stuff first). Goon etc also have the same problem. There was a time when I thought that I hated beer, but then I tried a proper craft beer and started experimenting with the different kinds of craft beer, and now whenever I go out I always make sure the place we end up at has good beer on tap.

I also legitimately enjoy the taste of coffee/chocolate liquers, certain mixes of rum, certain mixes of vodka, alcoholic ginger beer and mead, off the top of my head. Drinking a litre of baileys straight over the course of a night of gaming is fun as hell and the stuff tastes fucking amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Alcohol is indeed an acquired taste. I've yet to meet the person who would have gone "This is delicious" at their first drink.
    My very first taste of alcohol at 11 (yeah yeah) was Kahlua mixed with milk, and it tasted like a chocolate milkshake/iced coffee therefore was awesome to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't drink it if you don't like the taste. Simples!

I don't like it either. My first experience with wine put me right off it. I figure it's just as well, since I've seen the impact drinking (and smoking whilst on the subject of vices I'm taking a pass on) has had on my relatives. I'm quite happy to skip the diabetes, cancers, beer gut, drunken fights family, and financial cost. (And before anyone comments on that sentence - I know it's not like that for all drinkers, but it is for those in my family.)