Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Look Up, I think its ironic

agree/disagree?
    Last edited by Msi; 2014-05-05 at 04:19 PM.

Deleted
    Of course it's ironic, though that doesn't necessarily undermine it.

Where would they reach that kinda people, if it weren't on social media?

10+ Year Old Account
    I meet my boyfriends and friends have have now irl because of social media. Before having the internet, there was nothing, I found no real friends besides the few from my school days. The net let me find them, keep in touch with them, even while far away, and making for me being with them all the more special.
    #boycottchina

15+ Year Old Account
    Awesome video, so true!

I hate social media.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

This video supports over population!
    Everyone back to your computer, good day.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not really irony, it's just a poor use of social media.

I use for its intended purpose - to keep in touch with people I want to keep in touch with in order to meet up with them at another time, and to get laid.

10+ Year Old Account
    -- Viewed from phone in public.

Social media really isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have an internet-enabled phone and I don't text much. I see the sky just fine thank you.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I talk to someone on a regular basis on social media, that's because I don't care for them really or they're too far away. Mostly because I don't care for them other than to associate and share kid pics. The people I do care about I go see on the weekends or pick up a phone to talk to.

Deleted
    I saw first 10 seconds of video then got bored.
    Also I had a double chocolate brownie for lunch, so I win at life.

Deleted
    It sort of feels not okay when someone tells other people how to live their lives. If we only have a finite amount of time here, shouldn't we choose how to spend that time ourselves? Whether that's out in parks or messing with your phone. If it makes you happy, then I think you should persue it and I don't think it's fair when other people claim that your happiness is somehow less than theirs because theirs involves "wholesome" things like being outside or whatever. Every generation thinks the next is "less" in one way or another - I suppose this is that way for our generation.

It all really boils down to the "Go outside and make some real friends" thing, but doesn't really take into account the people you can meet and unique experiences that you can have only as a result of things like social media, the internet, etc etc. It's easy to forget that there is a whole world with billions of other people waiting for you to connect with them when you are so focused on living in your own little bubble of "go outside, play in the playground, meet with the people who live in my neighbourhood and have fun" and not to say that one way is better than the other, it's just different. Whatever makes you happy, y'know?

I wouldn't have met almost everyone I'm friends with if it wern't for social networking and the internet and screens and tablets and that sort of thing. I love being able to stay connected with relatives from all over the world, friends from other countries, or even just people I don't get to see very often. I love seeing the photos a friend has taken after doing some amazing thing that they're really happy and proud of, I love seeing the pride and happiness on their faces that I otherwise wouldn't have seen without things like facebook, and I don't think it's fair for anyone to tell me that the happiness I get from that simply isn't good enough, I need to go and find the same happiness as them.

Its like anything, misusing it leads to poor results.

If you never, ever, ever actually meet up with any online friends then you're doing it wrong. Selectively choosing who you're most likely to get on with face to face is what social networking is good for. Not to mention keeping in touch with people far away, or quickly getting hold of someone without having to go around their house.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    It sort of feels not okay when someone tells other people how to live their lives.
    Ironically such people often don't really have much of a life of their own, hense why they try to boss around other people and tell them how to live theirs.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't have met almost everyone I'm friends with if it wern't for social networking and the internet and screens and tablets and that sort of thing.
    Also, weirdly, I'd not have my current group of friends if it wasn't for the following:

1/ Joining my current guild and confiding in one of my friends there.
    2/ Being convinced to join Tumblr and talk to people.
    3/ Meet someone who treated me pretty awfully, but had convinced me to join Fetlife beforehand.
    4/ Being brave enough to message local people on Fetlife and go to meetups.

Without social media I'd have two friends right now. And I'd never see them anymore.

Deleted
    snippety
    Agreed. Aside from the fact that the video is singling out extreme examples and acting as if they were today's standard, I rather let people decide how they want to live their life. That "ideal" life they portrayed in the video makes me wanna throw up. Yuck.

I'm fairly asocial even without technology.

Videos like this give me the creeps. Because this is how governments begin to take away people's liberties. "We're doing it for the children." or "We're doing it for your own good."

There's nothing more worrisome than some person sitting around thinking about how they can "fix" the world. The world's doing just fine, thank you very much.

15+ Year Old Account
    Videos like these that start trending tend to be a bit sensationalist. If you interact with a group of friends and family regularly then you're doing fine.

Although I'm all for reducing time that we are constantly tethered online simply for energy-saving reasons.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingzor View Post
    Agreed. Aside from the fact that the video is singling out extreme examples and acting as if they were today's standard, I rather let people decide how they want to live their life. That "ideal" life they portrayed in the video makes me wanna throw up. Yuck.
    when was the last time anyone here actually had a decent chat with a stranger, at a grocery store or well, anywhere in real life?
    there are indeed extreme examples, but those examples are becoming more and more commonplace...
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    when was the last time anyone here actually had a decent chat with a stranger, at a grocery store or well, anywhere in real life?
    there are indeed extreme examples, but those examples are becoming more and more commonplace...
    When's the last time you had a chat with a strange a continent away before the advent of things like Skype?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    I've never really struck up random conversations with strangers, even before I started using social media. World's getting more and more hostile.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.