Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Suggestions for a laptop

Hi! So around August, I'll be buying a new laptop for college (I'll be going to CMU! )
    Basically, I want a laptop strictly in the $800 - $1250 price range. So I'd like either
    a) a Macbook Pro
    b) a powerful, quad-core laptop that can be used for anything I want, really

(not a gaming laptop, I don't play anything besides the occasional WoW)

Does anyone have a suggestion? Thank you in advance!
    Also, does anyone know of any forums that are dedicated to this sort of thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're dropping $800+ on a laptop dont get a Macbook...

Also there is no point in dropping that much on a laptop unless its a gaming one, prices at point are only justified by dedicated GPUs and decent HDDs.

You can get a laptop that funs WoW for ~$400 easily.

I suggest checking out dealzon.com. You can always find deals straight from the manufacturers.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    If you're dropping $800+ on a laptop dont get a Macbook...
    Why aren't they a viable option? The vast majority of laptops I've seen during my (admittedly short) search on the Internet were extremely ugly.

But thank you, I'll look at that site!

I went completely digital this semester using the Sony VAIO Flip 14a with Microsoft 365 student.

It can be used as a tablet in classes to write notes on the professor's power point presentation.

You can open PDF assignments in word and answer using the pen input.

Also, the pen and math input panel make short work of ugly equations that are a pain in word.

What's your intended major?
    Last edited by Buttfear; 2014-05-06 at 12:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    I went completely digital this semester using the Sony VAIO Flip 14a with Microsoft 365 student.

It can be used as a tablet in classes to write notes on the professor's power point presentation.

You can open PDF assignments in word and answer using the pen input.

Also, the pen and math input panel make short work of ugly equations that are a pain in word.
    I agree. A convertible tablet is exceedingly handy for any kind of class that requires more than letters for taking notes. I personally used an HP one (though I don't recommend getting one from them, as the quality beyond the tablet functionality was poor) all through college (computer engineering).

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

If you're buying a laptop for college and won't be gaming on it, I can't imagine why you'd spend nearly 1000 on it. I'm willing to bet you can find a laptop capable of doing what you'd like for half that price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veiled Shadow View Post
    Hi! So around August, I'll be buying a new laptop for college (I'll be going to CMU! )
    Basically, I want a laptop strictly in the $800 - $1250 price range. So I'd like either
    a) a Macbook Pro
    b) a powerful, quad-core laptop that can be used for anything I want, really

(not a gaming laptop, I don't play anything besides the occasional WoW)

A) $800 won't get you a Mac Book. Cheapest one starts @ $1399
    B) Yeah the computer section
    C) what the heck is CMU, you can't abbreviate on international forums no one will know where you are talking about I mean you could be talking about Central Michigan University or Carnegie Melon or tons of others.

10+ Year Old Account
    $800 - $1250 price range.
    Is probably not a good budget for a macbook pro unless you're buying a used one. I wouldn't recommend buying any used computer because of "moore's law".

Yeah, you're not getting a Macbook Pro for that price. If you're looking Mac, it's going to be an Air. That'd actually be my general recommendation if you're not worried about gaming and pricepoint isn't a big deal. From a form factor standpoint, they're very hard to beat.

Deleted
    OP its too soon to ask what to get. Till August market will be different, new things out, prices on current then old go down etc etc. So when the time comes, a couple weeks before you need to purchase ask again

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yeah, you're not getting a Macbook Pro for that price. If you're looking Mac, it's going to be an Air. That'd actually be my general recommendation if you're not worried about gaming and pricepoint isn't a big deal. From a form factor standpoint, they're very hard to beat.
    The base 13-inch Macbook Pro (Retina display) model costs $1200 for a student.

And thanks @Kostatoo

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    A) $800 won't get you a Mac Book. Cheapest one starts @ $1399
    B) Yeah the computer section
    C) what the heck is CMU, you can't abbreviate on international forums no one will know where you are talking about I mean you could be talking about Central Michigan University or Carnegie Melon or tons of others.
    A) See above, cheapest one is $1200 and I'm willing to spend that.
    B) moved ~
    C) Carnegie Mellon University, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    What's your intended major?
    Computational finance, which is a subsection of the mathematical sciences department.

Deleted
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/

http://www.notebookforums.com/

http://www.notebookchat.com/

Also screen size preference?

- - - Updated - - -

Might be able to find some alternatives and decent articles here:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/top-retina...atives?slide=1

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to move this to the build/upgrade subforum!
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    (As requested, I resumed this in August)

I like this laptop quite a bit, but the i7/256GB version costs $1800, which is a bit too expensive. Does anyone know of a similar laptop for ~$400-500 less? It also seems that this particular laptop was released over a year ago, which might mean that there is a newer model, perhaps?
    Last edited by Veiled Shadow; 2014-08-08 at 08:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    (As requested, I resumed this in August)

I like this laptop quite a bit, but the i7/256GB version costs $1800, which is a bit too expensive. Does anyone know of a similar laptop for ~$400-500 less? It also seems that this particular laptop was released over a year ago, which might mean that there is a newer model, perhaps?
    With that laptop, you're paying a ton for the fact that it's thin and light, qualities I find highly overrated. The CPU is outdated, the GPU is integrated junk utterly inadequate for WoW, you only get the SSD (no hard drive, so you're going to be real tight for storage or having to carry an external drive around), etc.

You can get a more powerful unit for significantly less if you're willing to carry more weight. I recommend a good backpack (I use an Everki Beacon with my 17" Sager), or if you have many textbooks to carry along with the laptop, a good rolling case (I used such a case through college, to the approval of my shoulders), to deal with that.

For example, this Sager. Fitted with a 250GB SSD, 1TB hard drive, windows 8.1, and the rest stock, it comes to $1139 and nets you more storage, a faster CPU, a larger screen, and better graphics, in exchange for an extra 3lbs of carry. It also has an optical drive (which you could also trade in for a 2nd hard drive) which the Asus lacks.

Since the appearance of the laptop appears to be important to you, as presumed by the "the laptops I found were extremely ugly" bit and Sagers are fairly blocky and utilitarian machines, you should note that Xotic will do all manner of prettying up for you if you're willing to pay the money and wait the time. And since we're already under your budget, you've got some money to spare for that prettying.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-08-08 at 09:06 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for your lengthy response, Masark!

I would greatly appreciate some clarification on graphics, which you mentioned in your post - what one wants for WoW is discrete graphics, yes? How much of a tangible performance increase would discrete graphics demonstrate over integrated graphics? (Intel HD 5100 in this case)

10+ Year Old Account
    I would greatly appreciate some clarification on graphics, which you mentioned in your post - what one wants for WoW is discrete graphics, yes? How much of a tangible performance increase would discrete graphics demonstrate over integrated graphics? (Intel HD 5100 in this case)
    1. Yes, discrete graphics.

2. In GPU-bounded situations, the 840M will perform about 1.5-2x faster than the Intel 5100.

Addendum : If smallness really is desired, Sager also offers a 13.3" laptop (same size as the Asus you were looking at), the NP7338. It comes with GTX 860M graphics, another three steps above the 840M (only 1 step below my own 870M, which handles WoW with everything on ultra), which would handle WoW (or about any other game you'd like to throw at it) very nicely. Equipped with the same changes as the above suggestion, it would come in at $1279, though that wouldn't leave any budget room for beautifying unless you can find more money somewhere.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-08-08 at 10:36 PM.