Page 1 of 2
LastLast

D3 Gear decision

hi guys, i just started playing RoS, as I've seen gears stats while comparing new ones I picked up just via tooltip. sometimes its a damage increase sometimes negative. I've the slightest clue on how to choose gears for my build. I play Wiz, wave of force fire, so practically im kinda "melee" in someway.

I need help on how to select gears, on how to put points into it. im currently 230 para level.

Sheet dmg and toughness is often misleading. If you use WoF as your main source of dmg then +fire dmg and +WoF dmg would be stat you should be going for in the pieces that can roll it.

Melee build also need a bit more toughness than ranged wiz so I think lots of armor and all resists will help a lot. Don't stack too much life and be fooled by high amoutn of sheet toughness they give. You only need around 300k-400k life. Stack mitigation.

1st tab paragon=25% movement speed and the rest into whatever you want.
    2nd tab=CC and CHD are the most common choice.
    3rd tab=I go for AR and life regen. You could go AR and Armor. Just don't go for life%.
    4th tab=I think your build may benefit from resource cost reduction? If not then just go for area dmg or LPH.

Hi Wild, I have put only 6.5% (13points) into it as i have movement speed on 1 of my items or am i doing it wrongly? yep i do understand +fire and +WoF are needed which i stack them too.

3rd tab=I go for AR and life regen. You could go AR and Armor. Just don't go for life%
    What is wrong with taking life%?

Quote Originally Posted by blecap View Post
    Hi Wild, I have put only 6.5% (13points) into it as i have movement speed on 1 of my items or am i doing it wrongly? yep i do understand +fire and +WoF are needed which i stack them too.
    You are 200+ para so that means you can max movementspeed from paragon alone and that make you free up a slot for a primary stat on boots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bllets View Post
    What is wrong with taking life%?
    Nothing wrong with it. It's just not worth it except you have really really low life which rarely is the case. Mitigation is far better than life. Mitigation indirectly makes your healing stronger too.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    You are 200+ para so that means you can max movementspeed from paragon alone and that make you free up a slot for a primary stat on boots.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing wrong with it. It's just not worth it except you have really really low life which rarely is the case. Mitigation is far better than life. Mitigation indirectly makes your healing stronger too.
    It does depend on your current mitigation levels. If you're already at a pretty high level, then taking +% life is the better of the two (given no damage choice).
    Again it's about balance - taking only % life and having low mitigation is shite, just like taking only mitigation and having very low actual health.
    Mmm... Bear!
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

Quote Originally Posted by Wengel View Post
    It does depend on your current mitigation levels. If you're already at a pretty high level, then taking +% life is the better of the two (given no damage choice).
    Again it's about balance - taking only % life and having low mitigation is shite, just like taking only mitigation and having very low actual health.
    It's pretty hard for average to reach that amount of mitigation that we would get little out of it though. I rarely see people with low life anyway. 300-400k should be enough. And when you don't need more mitigation then there are still dmg stats to go for.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty hard for average to reach that amount of mitigation that we would get little out of it though. I rarely see people with low life anyway. 300-400k should be enough. And when you don't need more mitigation then there are still dmg stats to go for.
    You reach a point where more mitigation gives very little actual damage reduction versus turning that extra 100 AR into 15% life. 15% life also works together with vitality so depends on your existing stats. Sometimes a hit that is mitigated by 95% or 96% have the situation where the extra 1% may not make a huge difference, but having a larger buffer may.
    Higher life is only really there to prevent you from dying in burst-cases. life regen/on hit cannot keep you up in all situations, so you have a buffer (life) that buys you time to kill enough for the damage intake to be smaller than your life regen.
    once you reach that stage, adding more buffer is pointless - until you raise the difficulty and start again.
    Mmm... Bear!
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

Reporting in with 258k health!, could easily get that down to 200k if I wanted to sacrifice more health for damage, but I'm not totally stupid.

Also it depends on what class you pay, armor is % based and gives less to non-STR classes and AR gives less to INT classes. I.E. INT Classes are fucked in this overall

Vitality is always going to give you the most effective health. Life% is going to depend on vitality.
    What you have to consider is if your healing is going to be able to keep up with your healthpool. 700K hp with just 2K life on hit and 3K regen per second? Yea, probably not your best idea. As a wizard in T4, I personally sit comfortable at 400-500K hp, with ~15K life on kill and whatever else I get from random sources (4K Loh from paragon points, 5K life regen from templar etc). Life on kill is extremely strong as it doesn't take up a primary slot, and most of your time is going to be spent mowing down hordes of white mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Vitality is always going to give you the most effective health. Life% is going to depend on vitality.
    What you have to consider is if your healing is going to be able to keep up with your healthpool. 700K hp with just 2K life on hit and 3K regen per second? Yea, probably not your best idea. As a wizard in T4, I personally sit comfortable at 400-500K hp, with ~15K life on kill and whatever else I get from random sources (4K Loh from paragon points, 5K life regen from templar etc). Life on kill is extremely strong as it doesn't take up a primary slot, and most of your time is going to be spent mowing down hordes of white mobs.
    I usually don't get this argument at all and I don't get it here either, why aim to increase survival against hordes of white mobs? Are these actually a problem for anybody?

When a Rift guardian spawn there usually aren't that many mobs around to make use of life on kill and when fighting elites I rather spent the time burning the elites down instead of killing white mobs to gain life. I do like life on kill and hordes of white mobs, but I usually use it as a way to gain life between elites, so I don't end in a situation where my potion isn't ready.

My LoH is currently at max in Paragon and I do notice it, but even with my low health pool, at 254k health without paragon points and 317k with, I wouldn't even dream of going for it, since I rather use the primary slots for damage and kill the elites faster or for survival.

Another thing people tend to forget is that A LOT of skills as well as potions and health globes works of %'s, meaning that VIT and life% increase the effectiveness of these. Playing together with a WD who runs around with +25 pickup yards, I wouldn't disregard high health pools.

Also a little note. My 314k health and 6m toughness is enough to survive anything on T6 except a elite pack that has 5 blues with jailer, which makes me sad

I usually don't get this argument at all and I don't get it here either, why aim to increase survival against hordes of white mobs? Are these actually a problem for anybody?

When a Rift guardian spawn there usually aren't that many mobs around to make use of life on kill and when fighting elites I rather spent the time burning the elites down instead of killing white mobs to gain life. I do like life on kill and hordes of white mobs, but I usually use it as a way to gain life between elites, so I don't end in a situation where my potion isn't ready.

My LoH is currently at max in Paragon and I do notice it, but even with my low health pool, at 254k health without paragon points and 317k with, I wouldn't even dream of going for it, since I rather use the primary slots for damage and kill the elites faster or for survival.

Another thing people tend to forget is that A LOT of skills as well as potions and health globes works of %'s, meaning that VIT and life% increase the effectiveness of these. Playing together with a WD who runs around with +25 pickup yards, I wouldn't disregard high health pools.

Also a little note. My 314k health and 6m toughness is enough to survive anything on T6 except a elite pack that has 5 blues with jailer, which makes me sad
    The majority of the time you spend will be spent slaughtering mobs and elites. During a rift guardian you'll be burning it down fairly quickly with most specs, either popping a cooldown or otherwise (my igni-ball spec becomes gradually stronger the longer the fight is), and most damage from a single big mob is hilariously easy to dodge effortlessly.

As for elite packs, your spec seems to be a Wand of Woh spec? A link to your char would really give me more info, I can't even find anyone searching Bilets#2974 on EU/US diablo sites . If so, that means that most of your mobs either need to be in close proximity to be taken out, or will be smashed instantly. Playing most wizard specs gives you the advantage of range, though, which means that you can aim your cleaving attacks (arcane orbs, magic missile ignite etc) to hit both elites and white mobs, and you'll be kiting elites to avoid damage in most cases (where you would stun them and blast them to shreds with teleport->EB), giving you ample chance to reposition to catch white things in your line of fire.

Edit: Found your char searching for zolia on top of the bnet. No WoW, but you play the same style as a WoW spec would due to your Moonward necklase.
    It does, however, seem that you don't play solo often? Your followers aren't geared at all. In group play, you can get away with far less HP/survivability in general, mainly because 100 mobs having 2-3-4 targets is going to dilute the amount of hits you end up taking/soaking, very obviously. I question your ability to stay alive for the entirety of say, a T4 gaming session alone.

That said, you have almost zero sources of regen, so it's pretty clear that having more HP probably wouldn't help you survive better either way - You might survive a hit more, but it won't improve much, and it's basicly at the same level as mitigating more damage (AKA, no "long term" benefit). You've got the LoH from paragon (although I'd call that a waste, AOE damage is by far the best stat to fill in first) and 8K life per kill on your neck, Essentially, during a boss fight with no mobs around, you have your potion and that's it. No other sources of regen.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/D.../hero/35820468 is my char for reference. I've got about 50K life per globe/potion bonus aswell as my 14K LoH, and play almost exclusively solo, so 5K regen + the heals from my templar and then 4K LoH from my 200->400 paragon points.

But TL;DR -
    Solo game is way different from multiplayer game in terms of survivability.

Life Regen is by far the best healing stat for Wiz imo. I am farming T4 with WoW build

Life Regen is by far the best healing stat for Wiz imo. I am farming T4 with WoW build
    You're silly if you think so. Life regen takes up a primary affix on your items. Life on kill does not. You already run dangerously low on survivability stats as is, assuming you follow this checklist:

Helm -
    Int+vit+Crit+Socket.
    Neck - Int+crit+critdmg+IAS/ele damage.
    Gloves - int+crit+crit+IAS.
    Bracers - int+vit+crit+ele damage.
    Weapon - int+dmg+socket+ DMG/IAS%.
    Boots - Int+vit+Skilldmg+Allres.
    Source - Int+Crit+dmg+Skilldmg+Vit.
    Shoulders - int+vit+All ress+??
    Chest - Int+vit+sockets+all ress or armor.
    Legs - int+vit+sockets+ all ress or armor.
    Belt - int+vit+all ress+armor or life%.

Your choise is to either drop vitality on one of your 7 items that has it for life regen, or drop all resist/armor - the damage stats are far too valueable to even touch. Out of the items you can do this (helm, bracers, boots, shoulders, chest, legs, belt) you can get:

Helm - ~2.5K LPS.
    Shoulders - ~1K LPS.
    Chest - ~1k LPS.
    Bracers - ~2.5k LPS.
    Boots - ~1K LPS.
    Legs - 1K LPS.
    Belt - 1K LPS.

This would then leave you with zero vitality, of course, and in turn give you "only" 9K life per second. It's barely going to make a dent in your healing during a fight, let alone keep you up. Go play with a templar, then go play without one. The difference you noticed would be roughly equal to 5K healing per second (5K life per second + his random heals when you drop).

The reason Life on kill and globe is the best healing stats are that you sacrifice nothing to get them. They're free. Your main stats are too valueable to give up when you could get the healing for free. Sure, Life per second might be the strongest from a "raw" viewpoint (except a weapon with 8K life per kill like my TF will give the "same" amount of healing as 1K life regen if I kill just one monster in 8 seconds. Basic math) but it doesn't factor in what you lose.
    Last edited by Dracodraco; 2014-05-07 at 05:44 AM.

The majority of the time you spend will be spent slaughtering mobs and elites. During a rift guardian you'll be burning it down fairly quickly with most specs, either popping a cooldown or otherwise (my igni-ball spec becomes gradually stronger the longer the fight is), and most damage from a single big mob is hilariously easy to dodge effortlessly.

As for elite packs, your spec seems to be a Wand of Woh spec? A link to your char would really give me more info, I can't even find anyone searching Bilets#2974 on EU/US diablo sites . If so, that means that most of your mobs either need to be in close proximity to be taken out, or will be smashed instantly. Playing most wizard specs gives you the advantage of range, though, which means that you can aim your cleaving attacks (arcane orbs, magic missile ignite etc) to hit both elites and white mobs, and you'll be kiting elites to avoid damage in most cases (where you would stun them and blast them to shreds with teleport->EB), giving you ample chance to reposition to catch white things in your line of fire.

Edit: Found your char searching for zolia on top of the bnet. No WoW, but you play the same style as a WoW spec would due to your Moonward necklase.
    It does, however, seem that you don't play solo often? Your followers aren't geared at all. In group play, you can get away with far less HP/survivability in general, mainly because 100 mobs having 2-3-4 targets is going to dilute the amount of hits you end up taking/soaking, very obviously. I question your ability to stay alive for the entirety of say, a T4 gaming session alone.

That said, you have almost zero sources of regen, so it's pretty clear that having more HP probably wouldn't help you survive better either way - You might survive a hit more, but it won't improve much, and it's basicly at the same level as mitigating more damage (AKA, no "long term" benefit). You've got the LoH from paragon (although I'd call that a waste, AOE damage is by far the best stat to fill in first) and 8K life per kill on your neck, Essentially, during a boss fight with no mobs around, you have your potion and that's it. No other sources of regen.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/D.../hero/35820468 is my char for reference. I've got about 50K life per globe/potion bonus aswell as my 14K LoH, and play almost exclusively solo, so 5K regen + the heals from my templar and then 4K LoH from my 200->400 paragon points.
    Actually the spec I was in was for farming T1 since it is so incredible easy, and if you look now you'll see my spec for clearing normal.

My spec and paragons points for higher torment changes depending on what difficulty I'm doing, but I don't use explosive blast on anything above T2, since staying that close would be silly when I can almost do equal damage from range with MM alone. Area Damage isn't needed on T1 since elites dies in a black hole or explosive blast rotation, might as well take LoH.

For T3+ (Including T6) my spec is the following: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...jS!edZY!cbZcac With teleport being the joker, sometimes switching the rune and sometimes taking slow time instead (Especially against charging and/or fast dangerous mobs). Illusionist also gets switched for Dominance in rifts with large packs. It all depends on the rift.

And it is true, I rarely ever play alone, usually playing together with a WD with pet spec and/or another Wiz, he is lightning spec and worse gear, so in that case we usually play T3. T6 solo is something I can handle, as long as I don't get 5 blue elites with jailer.

Regarding
    I question your ability to stay alive for the entirety of say, a T4 gaming session alone.
    I usually have no issues with pretty much anything in T4 except I had a rift that was kinda odd, where I pretty much got surrounded by terror demons every 50 yards or so, resulting in my Wiz being unable to move and relying on having teleport ready. Was a good rift though, a lot of those small black things that dies to a single Conflagrate

But TL;DR -
    Solo game is way different from multiplayer game in terms of survivability.
    Which obviously is true, but I still can't see the appeal to life on kill, despite me playing a spec with a large range on MM.

The reason Life on kill and globe is the best healing stats are that you sacrifice nothing to get them. They're free. Your main stats are too valueable to give up when you could get the healing for free. Sure, Life per second might be the strongest from a "raw" viewpoint (except a weapon with 8K life per kill like my TF will give the "same" amount of healing as 1K life regen if I kill just one monster in 8 seconds. Basic math) but it doesn't factor in what you lose.
    And is one of the same reason going for healing on items sucks in general, having to go for a secondary of all stats is hard and you often get a random res. and some trash like +XP, and don't tell me you're going to not use magefist because it lacks LoK or health globe bonus?
    The only place where you can actually go for secondary like this is on crafted items. And as an example you don't have any on your Aughilds, so I'm guessing you got it randomly and it worked, but it doesn't really seem like something you decided to go for.

You're silly if you think so. Life regen takes up a primary affix on your items. Life on kill does not. You already run dangerously low on survivability stats as is, assuming you follow this checklist:

Helm -
    Int+vit+Crit+Socket.
    Neck - Int+crit+critdmg+IAS/ele damage.
    Gloves - int+crit+crit+IAS.
    Bracers - int+vit+crit+ele damage.
    Weapon - int+dmg+socket+ DMG/IAS%.
    Boots - Int+vit+Skilldmg+Allres.
    Source - Int+Crit+dmg+Skilldmg+Vit.
    Shoulders - int+vit+All ress+??
    Chest - Int+vit+sockets+all ress or armor.
    Legs - int+vit+sockets+ all ress or armor.
    Belt - int+vit+all ress+armor or life%.

Your choise is to either drop vitality on one of your 7 items that has it for life regen, or drop all resist/armor - the damage stats are far too valueable to even touch. Out of the items you can do this (helm, bracers, boots, shoulders, chest, legs, belt) you can get:

Helm - ~2.5K LPS.
    Shoulders - ~1K LPS.
    Chest - ~1k LPS.
    Bracers - ~2.5k LPS.
    Boots - ~1K LPS.
    Legs - 1K LPS.
    Belt - 1K LPS.

This would then leave you with zero vitality, of course, and in turn give you "only" 9K life per second. It's barely going to make a dent in your healing during a fight, let alone keep you up. Go play with a templar, then go play without one. The difference you noticed would be roughly equal to 5K healing per second (5K life per second + his random heals when you drop).

Except you don't need to get life regen on gears at all. You only need around 10k life regen from paragon point(this alone will give you 8k) and Templar. The best healing stat for wiz without even have to gear for it. Life on kill doesn't help you in many situations. It's a good bonus to have though. Noone stacks life regen but it's still the best stat if you have opportunity to get it without sacrificing your main stat.

[
    Actually the spec I was in was for farming T1 since it is so incredible easy, and if you look now you'll see my spec for clearing normal.

My spec and paragons points for higher torment changes depending on what difficulty I'm doing, but I don't use explosive blast on anything above T2, since staying that close would be silly when I can almost do equal damage from range with MM alone. Area Damage isn't needed on T1 since elites dies in a black hole or explosive blast rotation, might as well take LoH.

For T3+ (Including T6) my spec is the following: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...jS!edZY!cbZcac With teleport being the joker, sometimes switching the rune and sometimes taking slow time instead (Especially against charging and/or fast dangerous mobs). Illusionist also gets switched for Dominance in rifts with large packs. It all depends on the rift.

And it is true, I rarely ever play alone, usually playing together with a WD with pet spec and/or another Wiz, he is lightning spec and worse gear, so in that case we usually play T3. T6 solo is something I can handle, as long as I don't get 5 blue elites with jailer.
    You do have a lot more survivability skills than I do, though. Teleport, Prismatic armor, Deflection. Might mean you need less healing aswell. I could recommend dominance over illusionist/teleport, though.

Regarding

I usually have no issues with pretty much anything in T4 except I had a rift that was kinda odd, where I pretty much got surrounded by terror demons every 50 yards or so, resulting in my Wiz being unable to move and relying on having teleport ready. Was a good rift though, a lot of those small black things that dies to a single Conflagrate
    *shrug* you might be relying on globes more than I do, then. I usually don't even end up using any. I still concur that the secondary skills are far superior to the main skills.

Which obviously is true, but I still can't see the appeal to life on kill, despite me playing a spec with a large range on MM.
    The appeal is in being life regen you get without having to sacrifice mainstats. That's all there is to it. When a single item can have 8K life per kill it gets to be a lot extremely fast (you underestimate how many whites you end up accidentelly slaughtering solo).

And is one of the same reason going for healing on items sucks in general, having to go for a secondary of all stats is hard and you often get a random res. and some trash like +XP, and don't tell me you're going to not use magefist because it lacks LoK or health globe bonus?
    The only place where you can actually go for secondary like this is on crafted items. And as an example you don't have any on your Aughilds, so I'm guessing you got it randomly and it worked, but it doesn't really seem like something you decided to go for.
    I don't need to go for LoK/HGB on my magefists because the healing I have is already plenty. I crafted the cains legs and boots aiming to get the secondaries, I was lucky enough to get it on my thunderfury and Mirrorball.
    As for the aughilds, both of them are health globe bonus. My potion restores 60% of my hp baseline so 272K. I have 47K globe bonus, so that's 319K, or roughly 75% of my hp. Getting more wouldn't really be "usefull", in the sense that it already heals me from ~100k hp to full. That said, I'm also just lazy - it took me 35 bracers getting these fire ones (with a "perfect" arcane bracer being made in between, mind you - 20% arc, 6% crit, 470 vit, 500 int rerolled), and 7% reduced melee dmg ment I wasn't in a hurry to craft another 35.

Then I found my Endless potion of regen, which added another 32K "potion bonus" to the pool, and I figured "fuck it".

Except you don't need to get life regen on gears at all. You only need around 10k life regen from paragon point(this alone will give you 8k) and Templar. The best healing stat for wiz without even have to gear for it. Life on kill doesn't help you in many situations. It's a good bonus to have though. Noone stacks life regen but it's still the best stat if you have opportunity to get it without sacrificing your main stat.
    You are still sacrifising main stats (all ress, health, armor) for secondary stats (life regeneration) you could be getting for free spending your PP on it. How do you not grasp that concept <.<?
    Life on kill helps you in every single situation as long as you aren't a complete buffoon that slaughters everything in a fifty mile radius whenever you're about to fight a boss. Let's face it, if you're talking about optimising to this degree, we're at the point where you will be slaughtering packs of elites in at most 20 seconds. Even with 10K regen, that's 200K hp, or the same as me killing 13 mobs. The only thing that could pose a threat to you in terms of healing regen would be a rift boss, and your life regen isn't enough to "outheal" one of those either way.
    Last edited by Dracodraco; 2014-05-07 at 03:46 PM.

You are still sacrifising main stats (all ress, health, armor) for secondary stats (life regeneration) you could be getting for free spending your PP on it. How do you not grasp that concept <.<?
    Life on kill helps you in every single situation as long as you aren't a complete buffoon that slaughters everything in a fifty mile radius whenever you're about to fight a boss. Let's face it, if you're talking about optimising to this degree, we're at the point where you will be slaughtering packs of elites in at most 20 seconds. Even with 10K regen, that's 200K hp, or the same as me killing 13 mobs. The only thing that could pose a threat to you in terms of healing regen would be a rift boss, and your life regen isn't enough to "outheal" one of those either way.
    Life Regen is far better than Life% to spend point on after you max AR. At higher T,solo, there are lots of times where there is no white mobs for you to kill. Nothing will outheal spiky damage in higher Ts except running around picking up globes. Life Regen works in all situations. 10k life per sec for 300k hp is a lot. You restore 10% of your hp every 3 sec. When you happen to get into bad situation and have to kite, life regen will heal you for a lot while kiting then you will be able to go back to killing again. AR(some prefer armor) and Life Regen are the two stat most wizard max first.

It's also common that LoK and HGB simply don't appear on your crucial items. Noone is going to waste an enchant slot to reroll to get it. Even when I get perfect trifecta stat on an item, I would still hold back enchanting and keep it for when I may change build. As I said LoK and HGB are nice bonus but you can't really control it except it happens to roll on your items. Most people have them of their gears cuz it just happens to be there.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2014-05-07 at 07:15 PM.

I have yet to find "higher torments with no white mobs to kill". It's the same through all the torments, density etc doesn't change. But so be it if you want to believe that. The OP is also only 234 paragon (or was when I looked), so the 200->400 tier isn't unlocked fully for him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by blecap View Post
    hi guys, i just started playing RoS, as I've seen gears stats while comparing new ones I picked up just via tooltip. sometimes its a damage increase sometimes negative. I've the slightest clue on how to choose gears for my build. I play Wiz, wave of force fire, so practically im kinda "melee" in someway.

I need help on how to select gears, on how to put points into it. im currently 230 para level.
    Assuming you're at level 70, you should be putting your points into the stats that will help you most. Core points should go into movement speed% until you have 25%, then Intellect. Offense should prioritize based on what's best for your particular build. Defense should prioritize resist all up to 1k, then life per second. Once you've maxed resists all through gear, you can put those points into armor instead. Utility should prioritize life on hit. Cooldown/resource cost reduction should be considered if you have a build spec that benefits from them and you've already maxed out points in other stuff.

In general, gearing should be bounties for rift shards > rifts for green items (that don't drop from Kadala/bounties) and blood shards > Kadala for specific slots you don't need new set items for. Trying to get everything from one place will prove frustrating and time consuming, you'll find running rifts/bounties with a group to be the most productive way to get items, especially if you run with an all Wizo group and loot share.

Your magic find is still increased based on the number of people in a group and there are set items you can get which will increase it further from the bonuses. You can also use a yellow gem in your helm which will provide the biggest single source of magic find possible.