Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Bill Gates comments about XBox

Bill Gates has commented recently that he would support an Xbox SpinOff. Here's a link to the entire interview on Fox Business: http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...a-stocks-ipos/

In a nutshell:

"We're taking PC gaming and Xbox gaming and bringing those a lot closer together," he said. "The power of the graphics chips means you can do great games there.

"So I'm sure Satya and the team will look at that. It's up to them. We're going to have an overall gaming strategy so it's not as obvious as you might think."

After that Gates was asked if he would support newly CEO Satya Nadella, if he decided to spin-off Xbox and Gates replied "absolutely." While people have been taking the quote to heart and thinking that the beginning of the end, Gates has responded to this by stating hat he was just voicing his support for Nadella.

Now for some of you that are thinking that Xbox is going to spin-off another console from the Xbox 1, that is not the meaning of it. The real meaning of "spin-off" to which Gates is implying is when a division of a company or organization becomes an independent business. The "spun off" company takes assets, employees, intellectual property, technology, or existing products from the parent organization.

The fact that the Xbox is losing hard in the war and these comments made by Gates, doesnt surpise me. I highly doubt this would happen, but if it did happen... What do you think the outcome would be?

Maybe some motherboards with a single-chip XBoxOne solution on board? Or a Xbox One graphics card?

3DO tried that but stopped the project

1996 they created a graphics card that was the 3DO M2 console for PC
    Last edited by Kryos; 2014-05-06 at 04:45 PM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

I know what they name fusion of Xbox One and PC

PC

Because Xbox One is with all it's tech already glorified mid-tier PC
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    does that mean Halo 5 on PC? (and 3, and 4?)

Personally I don't think Xbox could stand alone; half the reason the original and 360 didn't die immediately is because their losses could be buried under the more general Microsoft blanket until tech costs come down to a point where they don't bleed money on each console sold and software sales picked up. If it were its own public entity, Xbox probably won't live past this gen as a hardware maker as who knows how much they and the PS4 lose on each console sold in hopes that software sales will support it. Even Nintendo, which traditionally didn't lose money and instead made tiny profits on consoles sold, is losing money due to their tablet controller. But unlike a separate Xbox, Nintendo has vast amounts of cash reserves to absorb losses (even at the hatred of their shareholders) and if the worst comes to pass, they would instantly be one of the top 3 software publishers based on their 1st party creations alone and highly coveted; meanwhile, Xbox has what, Halo and GoW? As popular as they might recently be, that's nowhere near the mass appeal of Mario and Pokemon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Could be possible, they recently ported the spin off Halo Spartan Assault to PC and released it on steam just a couple of weeks ago as well, but if they are willing to bring the main thing over remains to be seen.

Maybe they'll finally choose to make a handheld.

Y'know, like a music player that's like an iPod... oh wait.

Seriously though, maybe they'll throw their hat into the handheld gaming because 3DS and PS Vita are basically taking that alone.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

The important part of the article though...

But Gates said he didn’t foresee either Bing, the company’s search engine division, or Xbox, its gaming division, as potential stand-alone companies because they are part of Microsoft’s long-term strategy.
    Bill Gates supports a spinoff of one of Microsoft's divisions, but he specifically listed Bing and Xbox as two divisions he was highly doubtful would be candidates due to their importance to Microsoft in the long term.

Gaming news sites have just been cherry picking information and providing it out of context.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The important part of the article though...

Bill Gates supports a spinoff of one of Microsoft's divisions, but he specifically listed Bing and Xbox as two divisions he was highly doubtful would be candidates due to their importance to Microsoft in the long term.

Gaming news sites have just been cherry picking information and providing it out of context.
    Is Play Station a stand-alone? Or is it solely Sony?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Is Play Station a stand-alone? Or is it solely Sony?
    The PlayStation division is still a part of Sony proper and is not a spinoff company.

Quote Originally Posted by jermo22 View Post
    Bill Gates has commented recently that he would support an Xbox SpinOff. Here's a link to the entire interview on Fox Business: http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...a-stocks-ipos/

In a nutshell:

"We're taking PC gaming and Xbox gaming and bringing those a lot closer together," he said. "The power of the graphics chips means you can do great games there.

"So I'm sure Satya and the team will look at that. It's up to them. We're going to have an overall gaming strategy so it's not as obvious as you might think."

After that Gates was asked if he would support newly CEO Satya Nadella, if he decided to spin-off Xbox and Gates replied "absolutely." While people have been taking the quote to heart and thinking that the beginning of the end, Gates has responded to this by stating hat he was just voicing his support for Nadella.

Now for some of you that are thinking that Xbox is going to spin-off another console from the Xbox 1, that is not the meaning of it. The real meaning of "spin-off" to which Gates is implying is when a division of a company or organization becomes an independent business. The "spun off" company takes assets, employees, intellectual property, technology, or existing products from the parent organization.

The fact that the Xbox is losing hard in the war and these comments made by Gates, doesnt surpise me. I highly doubt this would happen, but if it did happen... What do you think the outcome would be?
    I wouldn't put to much money on it if fox is reporting it...

that aside, being able to play pc games on an xbox would drastically increase it's share i suspect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I know what they name fusion of Xbox One and PC

PC

Because Xbox One is with all it's tech already glorified mid-tier PC
    if we look upon the whole scaling of pc gear and rigs you can build with it, its more a low tier pc.

but thats really the only good thing about consoles...they slow down the hardware requirements for gaming so i can play all games that come out with my 2 year old (at that time low/mid-tier pc hybrid for 1000€) on high settings without the need to spend more money upgrading on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    I wouldn't put to much money on it if fox is reporting it...

that aside, being able to play pc games on an xbox would drastically increase it's share i suspect.
    Fox is reporting his exact words, not their opinion. When taken in full context (which gaming news sites haven't been doing), it's really nothing very relevant to the Xbox division.

OP isn't representing the actual quotes from the article well wither.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Xbox, like the Playstation, tries too hard to be a computer. They need to go the Wii route and make JUST a gaming console, and then keep their developers from porting to PC.

Because I will always buy a PC over a PC-lite game-box.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The Xbox, like the Playstation, tries too hard to be a computer. They need to go the Wii route and make JUST a gaming console, and then keep their developers from porting to PC.

Because I will always buy a PC over a PC-lite game-box.
    Problem is, PS is doing pretty well.
    Wii is not.

So, why would they?

The fact that the Xbox is losing hard in the war
    they may not be doing as good as playstation but are they loosing hard? Hardly. They are doing more than fine. Anyone who judges a console based on sales in the first year when there are shit for games for either is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Could be possible, they recently ported the spin off Halo Spartan Assault to PC and released it on steam just a couple of weeks ago as well, but if they are willing to bring the main thing over remains to be seen.
    Halo Spartan Assault was made for PC and later ported to Xbox systems. It was in the Windows 8 App store since August, long before the xbox one even released, and the 360 version wasn't out until Jan 2014.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    they may not be doing as good as playstation but are they loosing hard? Hardly. They are doing more than fine. Anyone who judges a console based on sales in the first year when there are shit for games for either is stupid.
    Their launch did alright, but as of the last few months they are selling less consoles per month then the 360 averaged in the same time period. Meanwhile the PS4 is out pacing the PS3 by a mile. When you are trending down, and your competitor is trending way up I would say you are losing pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Halo Spartan Assault was made for PC and later ported to Xbox systems. It was in the Windows 8 App store since August, long before the xbox one even released, and the 360 version wasn't out until Jan 2014.

- - - Updated - - -

Their launch did alright, but as of the last few months they are selling less consoles per month then the 360 averaged in the same time period. Meanwhile the PS4 is out pacing the PS3 by a mile. When you are trending down, and your competitor is trending way up I would say you are losing pretty hard.
    Ummm Microsoft even pointed out last month that Xbox One is actually doing better.

Xbox 360's first year and PS3's first year were very different. You can't really compare. You have one console that was pretty successful in it's first year to one that people were saying was the next Sega Saturn.
    Last edited by Suporex; 2014-05-07 at 04:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Halo 3 is long overdue a PC release, so is ODST and Halo Wars... We can only hope...

spartan assault is a shit mobile game.

Halo 3 is long overdue a PC release, so is ODST and Halo Wars... We can only hope...
    I hope not. Halo has and always will be a console game.