Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    In the near future gaming and hardcore video editing will be the only markets keeping PCs alive at all.
    Most game genres, video editing, CAD, architectural software, any kind of illustration software, anything requiring you to type fast and for long periods of time, anything requiring the absolute most in processing power in general, all server hardware, and so on, will still all be on a PC, or rather in a tower case, with an office desk and chair, large, often multiple monitors, and a good keyboard and a mouse.

Yeah, you can plug in a tablet or a laptop to monitors, keyboards and mice, and use them on an office desk and chair, but if that's what you're doing, since the regular PC will always be more powerful (more space -> more power, always) than tablets and laptops, people will buy PCs. Obviously they'll also have tablets as well, since it would be completely asinine to think these two things are mutually exclusive.

Laptops and tablets only supplement the desktop culture. They'll never replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Most game genres, video editing, CAD, architectural software, any kind of illustration software, anything requiring you to type fast and for long periods of time, anything requiring the absolute most in processing power in general, all server hardware, and so on, will still all be on a PC, or rather in a tower case, with an office desk and chair, large, often multiple monitors, and a good keyboard and a mouse.

Yeah, you can plug in a tablet or a laptop to monitors, keyboards and mice, and use them on an office desk and chair, but if that's what you're doing, since the regular PC will always be more powerful (more space -> more power, always) than tablets and laptops, people will buy PCs. Obviously they'll also have tablets as well, since it would be completely asinine to think these two things are mutually exclusive.

Laptops and tablets only supplement the desktop culture. They'll never replace it.
    Except they are, for 90% of uses.

When I was a kid/teen every kid/teen owned or wanted a PC.

My son could give a fuck less that my pc exists, and everyone of that generation is going to feel the same. Only the ones who get into PC gaming or go into a profession that requires desktop power at home will ever care about owning a PC.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2014-05-08 at 10:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

I think he means basically out of professional and gaming, the general users will prefer to use a tablet or laptop than a tower.

Deleted
    Except they are, for 90% of uses.
    You mind posting a link for this information?

When I was a kid/teen every kid/teen owned or wanted a PC.

My son could give a fuck less that my pc exists, and everyone of that generation is going to feel the same. Only the ones who get into PC gaming or go into a profession that requires desktop power at home will ever care about owning a PC.
    Well, your anecdotal evidence about your son doesn't really mean much, I'm sorry to say.

Truth is, pretty much every company still has laptops or desktops in their offices. If they do work where they need the power, such as heavier programs, especially for illustration, CAD, and some proprietary software, they'll get desktops for their workers. If they want a workstation where the laptop's own screen isn't in the way or where they want to type on a proper keyboard, they'll either have to buy a laptop and peripherals such as a monitor and a keyboard. A peripheral mouse is obviously a must have for any laptop that you use to work on a day to day basis. In any case, from my experience (our company sells package deals for other companies), most companies still go for desktops due to them actually being cheaper than laptops, and being upgradable. Even if the companies have laptops, they usually also always have a couple desktops for uses where the laptops just aren't good enough.

And then there's obviously PC gaming, which will never move on to laptops, let alone tablets. And of course servers, which most often are basically desktops, just much more heavy duty with the gear inside.

Thus, as long as there are things that absolutely can't be done on laptops, (or could be but will always be done better on a desktop because more space == more power), or can't be done on tablets or consoles, there will be a market for PCs, and as such it's not "dying", ever. The market may get more specialized and a lot smaller, but then again, that's where it started at.

In short, laptop gaming will never take over PC gaming, because laptops will never reach desktops in power. It's impossible. Console gaming will never take over PC gaming, because of how the majority of the genres, and their controls, work, and because of how well PCs combine gaming simultaneously with for example chatting and browsing the web. Laptops or tablets will never take over PCs in work situations where power - whether CPU or GPU - is key. So yeah, no, the PC isn't going anywhere, regardless of how many kids have tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    the general users will prefer to use a tablet or laptop than a tower.
    I refuse to believe that a "general user", who would like to browse the web and chat with his or her friends would ever prefer to do so on a tablet instead of a huge monitor, keyboard and mouse. I just don't see that happening, ever. Thus, I'm lead to believe people buy tablets in addition to their old PCs, or because they think they can only afford a tablet. And because it's a fad.

Yea, cause you know PCs selling at their lowest rate since 1994 clearly means they are the dominant platform still.

http://arabia.msn.com/news/business/...fall-record-l/

I like how you point to examples that I already stated would still prefer a desktop, but you need to face the facts that is a small market compared to the one PCs once had and tablets now own.

Do you even leave your house? I only ask because it seems you are oblivious to what is happening in the world if you truly think the average person cares about owning a PC in this day and age.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    He needs to understand that xbox has long 45 second to 2 minute loading time when i can just buy a 300$ barebone pc and load games in 6 seconds.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    He needs to understand that xbox has long 45 second to 2 minute loading time when i can just buy a 300$ barebone pc and load games in 6 seconds.
    Yea, umm no. The xbox one's hdd is 7200 rpm, the same as you would put in a cheap pc(hell you might actually put a 5400 rpm in a cheap pc). All games install fully to the hard drive now, they don't read from the slow ass blue ray laser.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, umm no. The xbox one's hdd is 7200 rpm, the same as you would put in a cheap pc(hell you might actually put a 5400 rpm in a cheap pc). All games install fully to the hard drive now, they don't read from the slow ass blue ray laser.
    Add a 7200 rpm to a 25W TDP cpu see how fast it loads compared to a 125 tdp.

Add a 7200 rpm to a 25W TDP cpu see how fast it loads compared to a 125 tdp.
    Except it's not loading the data into the cpu, it's loading it into the memory.

How about you go test how long a CoD map takes to load on a 7200 rpm drive on pc vs Xbox one. Get back to me when it's the exact same time.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Except it's not loading the data into the cpu, it's loading it into the memory.

How about you go test how long a CoD map takes to load on a 7200 rpm drive on pc vs Xbox one. Get back to me when it's the exact same time.
    Guessing you don't know how computers work since you said it's not loading the data into the cpu, it's loading it into the memory. And a map takes me 5-8 seconds to load on my 125W AMD 1055T 8gb 1600 memory GTX 650 Ti MSI Seagate 2TB HDD first partition from the outer layer by the drive heads 200Gb 6 sec boot time on fresh boot rest for data partitioned between the 200Gb fast lane partition and inwards for old data i rarely access.

Guessing you don't know how computers work since you said it's not loading the data into the cpu, it's loading it into the memory. And a map takes me 5-8 seconds to load on my 125W AMD 1055T 8gb 1600 memory GTX 650 Ti MSI Seagate 2TB HDD first partition from the outer layer by the drive heads 200Gb 6 sec boot time on fresh boot rest for data partitioned between the 200Gb fast lane partition and inwards for old data i rarely access.
    I'm guessing you don't know how computers work based on what you just said.

Or you are just completely ignorant to the way data streaming works.