Thread: coding

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

coding

I don't know the first thing about coding, but I really want to make my own website.

The website is mainly based on numbers found on other websites.

If I wanted to make a website which lists all players with a RBG rating > 2200, how much would I have to learn/study to do that?

Would I have to study computer science (Bachelor) or even computer science (Master)?

Are there different computer science study paths? If so, which ones?

I'm a complete noob, please lighten me up a bit.

Deleted
    Making web sites doesn't need a degree or anything as far as that, you can teach yourself with the multitude of internet resources (just hit up google).

Blizzard have a fairly simple to use API (set of commands for web pages to call up data from there servers).

10+ Year Old Account
    Also check out codeacademy. Interactive tutorials that focus on scripting and web languages.

Both Ruby on Rails and Python/Django are pretty easy to learn. You don't need a degree, just some level of ability to learn and a couple hours a night to mess around. With either platform you can have a simple website up and running in one day once you know what you're doing. If you are wanting to get stats for WoW you will either need to interact with the Blizzard API or screen scrape data from another website. I would suggest trying the Blizzard API first.

To create the most basic barebones version of the webb app you have describes. What you need is

A html page with basic
    Code:
    <head>
               (your page title, + include javascript
    </head>
    <body>
               <div id="content"></div>
    </body>
    An javascript file (containing jquery, ajax call) with a function that

A) Sends an http request to blizzards API (as zanthos mentions)
    B) sorts through the data from blizzard api, and puts it in the div with id content.
    Code:
    function loadPage() 
    {
              $.ajax({
                              url: "www.blizzardsapi.com"
                       }).then(function(data) {
                                   $.each(data.RBGLADDERORSOMETHING, function(index, element) 
                                    {
                                            $('#content').append("<p>" + element.ladderplayersomething+ "</p>");
                                    });
            });
    }
    Optional:
    A) then beyond that you'll need to either look into css for styling the page (eg have it be more than small black text on big white background).

B) change the ajax function from GET to POST (requires a few more parameters) since usually web API's allow you to search for specific data.
    Code:
    $.ajax({
                    url: 'www.blizzardsapi.com',
                    type: 'POST',
                    contentType: 'application/json',
                    data: {gief only 2200+ from x server},
                    success: onsucces,
                    error: onerror

});
    function onsucces(result)
            {
                $('#content').text(result);
            }

function onerror(result)
            {
                $('#content').text(result);

}
    Mind you this is real javascript that works, with a few elements that you will have to look up yourself, such as the actual address for www.blizzardsapi.com

and the
    Code:

contentType: 'application/json',
                    data: {gief only 2200+ from x server}
    which will need to be changed according the documentation on blizzards api. They likely have their web service set up to take very specific values, and a few examples.

- - - Updated - - -

Meh i tried to indent the code so its easier to read. but the forum doesn't allow me to make spaces without actual characters Hope this pushes you in the right way.

barebones: Html + javascript(jquery,ajax) + HTTP GET / HTTP POST to web api
    fancy looking: css.
    Last edited by Kaykay; 2014-05-06 at 09:51 PM.

Kaykay wtf is that. Use code tags.

Code:
    Like this.
    OP. It's actually really an annoying thing to say, but most pro computer people don't need Comp Sci degrees.

That said, best bet is to learn off googling stuff. What you're asking for isn't hard. There's a difference between making a website, and making the website do something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    There's a difference between making a website, and making the website do something.
    what does making the website do something mean?

I mean I d want it to update the RBG rating automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    what does making the website do something mean?

I mean I d want it to update the RBG rating automatically.
    Ya, that's what you want to do. That requires coding.

Depending on how you set the website up and what tools you use, that's different. You may not need to code at all, for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    This is pretty much all you need: http://www.w3schools.com/
    For all that is cyber, please...please dont ever use that site.

https://developer.mozilla.org

Code:
    Like this.
    OP. It's actually really an annoying thing to say, but most pro computer people don't need Comp Sci degrees.
    Very much troof. Never had a traditional cs class in my life...or even a degree.

edit:

OP, this has all the api calls you need.
    blizzard.github.io/api-wow-docs/
    Last edited by usiris; 2014-05-06 at 09:43 PM.

Deleted
    Ya, that's what you want to do. That requires coding.

Depending on how you set the website up and what tools you use, that's different. You may not need to code at all, for that.
    okay, thank you.

could you give an example for a website which requires high skill? 9gag maybe?

okay, thank you.

Target.com

"Skill" depends. (Watch me get infracted for advertising.) I have this website set up. Absolutely 0 coding involved.

For what you're asking for...I'd imagine it takes low-medium skill. The hardest part would be going to Blizzard website and checking which player has > 2200 rating, and then displaying that name. Simple in theory. Coding wise it might be a little challenging depending on how much you know.

Code:
    Like this.
    Ah thanks, i didn't see it in the toolset for quick replies so just assumed it wasn't possible.

And if you weren't just hinting at the crazy format: Its a raw draft of what you'd need to program the application he's looking to make. With a few code snippets he can google and iterate on.

And as for taking computer science courses. The main benefit is that you will be able to converse with other computer scientists using the same terms. Aswell as have a fundamental understanding of development methodologies and different architectures developers use.

And usually you will get an indepth knowledge of 1 or 2 coding languages, which makes learning 3rd and 4th much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    This is pretty much all you need: http://www.w3schools.com/
    Not even close!

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on what you are trying to do.

Building a webpage that involves a few third party API calls? A CS degree isn't worth much.

Building a tier one API that has to be up 99.999% of the time and performs tens of millions of transactions a day? Unless you are a true prodigy, its a pretty big help.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll probably want to learn CSS/HTML at the very least just to make a nice template ready for the API's. I've been using http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/web to learn the stuff at a basic level, but I'd imagine beyond that you might be better off looking up some tutorial videos to see how it's done.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

15+ Year Old Account
    Web programming is probably the easiest thing to learn and very fun as well. Takes a time to master though. The advantage is that a lot if not most is WYSIWYG. But you don't need a degree in computer science. You can learn it alongside normal professional education programmes if you desire to not just make it your hobby. You will get your own degrees and certificates there.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    I don't know the first thing about coding, but I really want to make my own website.

The website is mainly based on numbers found on other websites.

If I wanted to make a website which lists all players with a RBG rating > 2200, how much would I have to learn/study to do that?
    You should do something along these lines:
    1) learn the basics of a language capable of dynamically rendering pages, i.e. python
    2) figure out how to deploy a website based on said language, i.e. django or (more simply) cherrypy
    3) study the WoW Armory API to figure out what requests to send to it, in order to scrap that data

Would I have to study computer science (Bachelor) or even computer science (Master)?
    Lol no.

15+ Year Old Account
    okay, thank you.

derbauer.de though it´s in flash but you get the idea of what skill is

i wouldn´t consider 9gag as high skill, have a look at some ad agencies, they normaly are up2date...

it´s hard to discribe high skill when it´s about coding, i consider it rather easy, formost if you´re good at reverse-engineering
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Don't let the computer geeks fool you anyone with more than 2 brain cells can create a website.