Purchasing a new computer - Looking for opinions

Hey all,

I'm looking at buying a new computer for about $2000. I am not comfortable with putting it together my self so I will be ordering one premade. Using iBuyPower, this is what I have come up with so far.

Case 1 x Thermaltake Overseer Full Tower Gaming Case - Black
    Case Lighting X
    iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction X
    iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion X
    Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7 4820K Processor (4x 3.70GHz/10MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7 4820K
    iBUYPOWER PowerDrive X
    Processor Cooling 1 x Corsair Hydro Series H55 Liquid CPU Cooling System - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
    Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance
    Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB - Single Card
    Motherboard 1 x Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 -- 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16
    Power Supply 1 x 750 Watt - Corsair RM750 - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular
    Primary Hard Drive 1 x 120 GB ADATA S510 SSD -- Read: 550MB/s, Write: 510MB/s - Single Drive
    Data Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Singe Drive
    Optical Drive 1 x [12x Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black
    2nd Optical Drive X
    Media Card Reader / Writer 1 x 12-In-1 Internal Media Card Reader/Writer - Black

Total: $1946.55

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, especially relating to the Mobo and PSU as I know virtually nothing about them

Thank you!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippers View Post
    Hey all,

I'm looking at buying a new computer for about $2000. I am not comfortable with putting it together my self so I will be ordering one premade. Using iBuyPower, this is what I have come up with so far.

Case 1 x Thermaltake Overseer Full Tower Gaming Case - Black
    Case Lighting X
    iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction X
    iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion X
    Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7 4820K Processor (4x 3.70GHz/10MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7 4820K
    iBUYPOWER PowerDrive X
    Processor Cooling 1 x Corsair Hydro Series H55 Liquid CPU Cooling System - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
    Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance
    Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB - Single Card
    Motherboard 1 x Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 -- 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16
    Power Supply 1 x 750 Watt - Corsair RM750 - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular
    Primary Hard Drive 1 x 120 GB ADATA S510 SSD -- Read: 550MB/s, Write: 510MB/s - Single Drive
    Data Hard Drive 1 x 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Singe Drive
    Optical Drive 1 x [12x Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black
    2nd Optical Drive X
    Media Card Reader / Writer 1 x 12-In-1 Internal Media Card Reader/Writer - Black

Total: $1946.55

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, especially relating to the Mobo and PSU as I know virtually nothing about them

Thank you!

A PSU is a PSU. It's a decent brand which will be reliable, considering you don't want to build your own PC there isn't anything else which needs to be discussed other than that.

The motherboard IMO is pretty average and if I was dropping $2k I wouldn't be putting it in my system, but do take into account you're buying a markup to let someone else build it for you. So you aren't going to get the best board for your money when you buy prebuilds. It's a pretty bogstandard middle of the range board. I generally find Gigabyte's software/firmware poor and the board and it is a bit limited in only having two 6gbps sata ports. Overclocking it doesn't do so well but once more, I doubt that is of interest of you. Basically Gigabyte's x79 boards feel last gen compared to say, an Asus x79 deluxe.

Do you have plans of using dual cards? If you don't you should probably get a z87 board, for the same price you'll be getting a better board but less PCI cards. Get a z87 board and replace the 4820k with a 4770k.
    Last edited by mmoc66558867f2; 2014-05-07 at 07:56 AM.

There's nothing particularly wrong with that build, in fact it's a great pc. The PSU is good and motherboard is one of the better x79's.

I guess unless you do particular heavy video editing or something that utilises the 2011 socket you could save some cash by dropping down to an i5 4670k and a Z87 mobo. Also i'm awful with foreign currencies so i'd need to work out if the system is worth it but off the top of my head it looks like a fair deal.

Deleted
    A couple questions:
    -do you need 2011 build and not a 1150 like i7 4770k? what do you plan using the pc for?
    -Which brand is that 780 gpu
    -120Gb ssd in a 2k build seems out of place especially this one. I would suggest a Samsung/intel/corsair/crucial 240GB min
    -What brand is the 2tb hdd
    -The 2011 is quad channel DDR3, so 4 sticks would be better

- - - Updated - - -

A reference i7 4770k build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($126.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($143.97 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($724.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Best Buy)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1944.85
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-07 05:56 EDT-0400)

Deleted
    From Kostattoo's build (optional)

-Drop the WD Black for either a WD Green, Av-GP oir the 2TB Caviar Blue.
    -Get the ASUS Z97-A on release.

It really isn't all that hard to build a computer yourself. (Most of the parts only fit in certain ways, and if you have to 'Force' it, then you are putting it in wrong, or putting it in the wrong spot).

Do you have any friends that can build it for you? Try to get a friend to build it for you or even better, with you. You could get a much better PC for that price, if you buy the parts yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    It really isn't all that hard to build a computer yourself. (Most of the parts only fit in certain ways, and if you have to 'Force' it, then you are putting it in wrong, or putting it in the wrong spot).

Do you have any friends that can build it for you? Try to get a friend to build it for you or even better, with you. You could get a much better PC for that price, if you buy the parts yourself.
    ^this

friends usually build PCs for a tray of beer :P that's the cheapest assembly you'll get.