Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Eh cata heroics were a joke. You didnt even need CC.

For example..... in tbc you had too sheep one orc or the tank was one shot instantly .
    I loved having a SP in party for MC's on the mob packs leading up to Murmur in H-Slabs.

Hehe, I remember the pack of 6 mobs in the room with Blackheart could be brutal. Having a rogue pop up at the wrong time in a party that was not in at least good mix of Kara and Heroic gear, was usually a wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    ...so I supply the picture version

Not so much getting poached here, but people being drama queens and quitting when we were learning Illidan. The fun to go back and attune new people. Not.
    I enjoyed doing all of the attunements in classic and the Burning Crusade. But, yeah, getting new people in for Illidan was the worst part of the expansion for me. Nothing like regressing in content!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i hated how my raid leader always used to call attumen 'attunement', unironically.

The problem with attunements was mainly two things:

1) It required entire (some) raids to go back to content 80% of them didn't need to attune new members who weren't quite to their level. This created entire farm nights were most people didn't get gear and just felt like a giant waste of time. But you had to do it to keep new blood flowing into the guild.

2) You had to do it for any alts you had. Right now (and for much of wow) if your guild is fine with carrying you through some of the easy fights, you can quickly gear up your alt with loot no one needs. This puts you very quickly into normals and perhaps heroics, which is what you want to play (getting you to your raid level quickly). In BC, you had to do all the attunement stuff all over again before that could happen, which made a much higher barrier of entry.

I don't have a problem with any attunements. For instance, some sort of skill check for LFD, LFR, and any other random queue content would be quite nice. Doesn't have to be too high, just there. But BC attunements had some pretty big drawbacks that made for some miserable times.

And I loved every step of the way, although I never did get attuned for Hyjal. The 3 others that required it I absolutely loved.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Garrisons aren't being made mandatory beyond getting one. Outside that, you can safely ignore them even as you level, as the quests to revisit it will apparently not be mandatory.
    IIRC they said that you could just throw a load of gold at a garrison rather than questing and get it levelled up that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    You know what I've found hilarious all xpac ...

"Bring back attunements !" / "Legendary cape chain is too convoluted but it's mandatory for progress !"

Blizz can just not win. Every single decision has a disgruntled vocal minority screaming their heads off on the forums about how it's the worst thing ever. Some folks demanding a higher barrier to entry and mandatory progression through old content, other folks demanding the exact opposite. Not asking for, not presenting arguments for ... demanding.
    Legendary cloak is not an attunement, and its not mandatory for progress. People just blindly think it is because its "orange"

As bad as people seem to think it sounds, I think of nothing but fondness about it.
    Raids felt like they meant something when you entered them.

Deleted
    Serpent Shrine Cavern[...]
    Or, you payed someone to use the scroll that dropped from Vashj on you and instantly got attuned for it without doing anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Instructor Soki View Post
    As bad as people seem to think it sounds, I think of nothing but fondness about it.
    This is the exact feeling I had and still hold this thought to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    I also believe that at the time, having to do Heroics was a good gate. It forced players to participate if they wanted to raid, and due to design, it also forced them to become better at their class.

It meant that if you had your Attunements, you probably knew what the hell your were doing.
    Uh, no... not really. My former vanilla 40m raiding guild had no problems getting the attunements for everyone, but we had to shed half our roster once we actually started raiding because we couldn't carry their dead weight in the raids. This was especially evident in our multiple karazhan groups where we realized picking groups based primarily the most ideal class comps was failing... had to meticulously select the groups so we didn't have too much dead weight in one area.

Quote Originally Posted by Instructor Soki View Post
    Maybe if these were difficult but none of them were. Unless you were in a bad guild then all of these including the boss kill requirements were piss easy. They were just frustrating to deal with for the lesser guilds with high turnover rates. I never felt a single drop of accomplishment for any of these. The accomplishment was killing bosses in the relevant tier before anyone else on the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Uh, no... not really. My former vanilla 40m raiding guild had no problems getting the attunements for everyone, but we had to shed half our roster once we actually started raiding because we couldn't carry their dead weight in the raids. This was especially evident in our multiple karazhan groups where we realized picking groups based primarily the most ideal class comps was failing... had to meticulously select the groups so we didn't have too much dead weight in one area.
    See... I can't feel bad for this. If you didn't notice them sucking in Vanilla raiding, and you couldn't figure out their lack of performance during Heroics... why should anyone feel bad?

Most complaints and tears on this subject tend to come from both poor guild leadership and lack of attention. It plays out in my mind that there was a ton of rushing only to realize no one was "ready" and then there was a wall hit. That lead to people who were ready, who were able, to get annoyed and go to other guilds. Leadership was a HUGE measure in tbc and something that was wildly absent.

See... I can't feel bad for this. If you didn't notice them sucking in Vanilla raiding, and you couldn't figure out their lack of performance during Heroics... why should anyone feel bad?

Most complaints and tears on this subject tend to come from both poor guild leadership and lack of attention. It plays out in my mind that there was a ton of rushing only to realize no one was "ready" and then there was a wall hit. That lead to people who were ready, who were able, to get annoyed and go to other guilds. Leadership was a HUGE measure in tbc and something that was wildly absent.
    Frankly it was ok to have horrendous people in your raid in vanilla if you were only doing MC and the lesser half of AQ40. Both of those only required you to have like 18 people that were paying attention as long as the others were spamming buttons and not completely afk.

Deleted
    Oh god, attunments. Loved those. They were not the best made, but they did put something around the storyline of the raids. Good times. Certanly did put the RPG in the MMORPG at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Frankly it was ok to have horrendous people in your raid in vanilla if you were only doing MC and the lesser half of AQ40. Both of those only required you to have like 18 people that were paying attention as long as the others were spamming buttons and not completely afk.
    I nor anyone I knew personally raided Vanilla so I wouldn't know from first hand experience. That being said, the implication still stands. It does sort of boil down to people complaining that after they "did all the work" caring people, those useless people they carried left leaving them short. Turns out, Tbc raiding wouldn't have allowed you to keep them anyway. Only top notch guilds worked with 1 maybe 2 short after completion. This is why very few guilds could sell t6 pieces.

The way it plays out in your mind and how it happened are two very different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    memories of having to slog through all that crap whenever we got poached by a Kael/Vashj guild and tried to get people reattuned for TK/SSC.
    Hate, hate, hated attunements. They were tedious and time consuming for alts and new group members. Many of them were cool and interesting the first time, but after that you never wanted to have to deal with them again.

I nor anyone I knew personally raided Vanilla so I wouldn't know from first hand experience. That being said, the implication still stands. It does sort of boil down to people complaining that after they "did all the work" caring people, those useless people they carried left leaving them short. Turns out, Tbc raiding wouldn't have allowed you to keep them anyway. Only top notch guilds worked with 1 maybe 2 short after completion. This is why very few guilds could sell t6 pieces.
    There's something you're not understanding here, at all. When the recruit is in blues and/or greens and the guild is largely in the gear from the tier they've been running for over a year - when they've run the same heroics and boss kills over and over again until it's all ingrained in muscle memory - it doesn't matter how good the recruit is. He's going to get carried.

And this wouldn't matter so much to the people doing the carrying if it weren't for the fact that their efforts were dust in the goddamn wind, and the little turd skips away to greener pastures under the delusion that he did all the lifting.
    Last edited by Drilnos; 2014-05-07 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    There's something you're not understanding here, at all. When the recruit is in blues and/or greens and the guild is largely in the gear from the tier they've been running for over a year - when they've run the same heroics and boss kills over and over again until it's all ingrained in muscle memory - it doesn't matter how good the recruit is. He's going to get carried.
    Why are you recruiting them?