[Fire] Talents/Glyphs for H Thok?

Making steady progress on this encounter but would still like to optimize my talent and glyph choices. Mainly I have two questions.

First, is this finally an encounter in which Flameglow beats out TS/IB? I've made the switch to TS over IB a couple months back for every SoO encounter and have never looked back. However, I find TS to be fairly weak on this encounter other than reducing damage for a couple of the later screeches. With a 25 second CD, I've only been using it once per stacking phase, at about ~18 stacks. I suppose you could argue that it should be used when the raid is stacking under a barrier getting ready to transition to ensure that you don't push the phase too early, but I've been using GI for that. So, has anyone tried out Flameglow for this encounter? Does it work for every screech or is there an ICD? Does it work for physical damage, or only magic? If it's only magic, obviously it would not be of much help here. It seems that if it can reduce the damage of each screech up to a significant amount, it might beat out TS for this encounter.

Second, which glyphs are you guys running? I've been using Combustion, Inferno Blast (for bats), and Rapid Displacement. Obviously Combustion glyph is a mainstay, but I'm wondering if the 10% physical damage reduction from glyph of armors would be worth it over IB or RD. Like I said, IB helps burn the bats down a little bit quicker, and I find RD to be pretty useful for the kiting phase. Curious to your guys' thoughts on this as well.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nebs View Post
    Making steady progress on this encounter but would still like to optimize my talent and glyph choices. Mainly I have two questions.

First, is this finally an encounter in which Flameglow beats out TS/IB?

Second, which glyphs are you guys running?
    Thanks!
    No.

Combustion, IB, CoC would be my first choices. Armors for CoC if your healers are failing.

Deleted
    What you can do if you are lazy like me is
    /use Temporal Shield
    /cast Pyroblast

so whenever you use pyroblast if TS is up it will be used. No need to think about it.
    TS beats everything in this. No flameglow (with 50.000 SP that would reduce damage by 7500 so not worth at allll!!!!!! )

What a shitty talent, alright so I'm glad we cleared that up. I'll stick with using TS on the later stacks.

CoC glyph is actually a really good idea, don't know how I overlooked that one. Probably will use it over rapid displacement as with good positioning double blink shouldn't really be needed.

Combustion, Rapid Displacement, and Armors - I would only use CoC on farm. Frankly it comes down to not getting interrupted in the screech phases.

Deleted
    For progression I would definitely use Glyph of Armors. The difference in damage taken is very noticeable. The other mandatory glyph is Combustion.

Other useful glyphs:
    -CoC: useful if you're in the front group and the bats are stacked on the raid, in my guild we solo tank so they're stacked on the tank, which makes it less useful
    -Inferno blast for spreading Combustion to an additional bat
    -Frostfire bolt: if you get locked out of your fire school you can still cast Frostfire bolts with the same damage of your Fireballs
    -Blink & Rapid Displacement: a safety net in case you get chased.
    Last edited by mmoc4e9ecc0058; 2014-04-23 at 07:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glyph of Armors is definitely a solid choice, 10% less taken on screeches is pretty huge.

And for the love of all that is holy do not macro TS into Pyro. TS is incredibly good on this fight - putting it in a macro with Pyro is a great way to ensure it isn't up when you need it.

TS is great for when you have the debuff and are out of range of heals. It saved my life a few times on kite phases when i wanted to avoid cauterize or IBing it off. I would say if movement is an issue for you take RD but only then. I have played all 3 specs on thok and talent blazing speed as arcane to pick up an extra glyph (armors/CoC are the big ones). Personally, i would take CoC as all specs not only for the bats but also on thok as a filler.

Basically, it is up to you. Who do you want to help? You can either boost your own dps, help your healers, or improve your ability to get away from the boss when targeted.

Quick tip: we merged to run 25s, and although we did it in 10s, its much easier now. Have the priests put down feathers on the later focuses to help get away from the boss. 1 feather paired with blink will get you far enough from the boss even on the last screech.

Hope any of this helps. GL!

I glyph combustion, IB and double blink. I used to take CoC, but we have no issue with bat damage, and I've been placed in the back group out of ranged of the bats, so CoC isn't really used. Double blink isn't necessary either, so armors could be helpful if you're dying from screeches.

Flameglow is garbage, temporal shield is definitely the way to go. When timed right for faster screeches, you can have the dmg reduction of TS up to soak TWO screeches, and then have the HoT for the next two screeches. I'm pretty sure the only fight I don't take TS for is malkorok, for obvious reasons.

We got this down Wednesday, I ended up going with Armors/FB/Combustion. The 10% damage reduction proved to be pretty significant, I ended the fight on the bottom of the damage taken meters with a couple million less from screeches. TS also came in pretty handy; you're able to use it on the ~6th screech then again around the ~18th.

I can see the benefits of going with CoC for farm, I just kept forgetting to use it on bats seeing as I haven't found much use for it in SoO up until this encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebs View Post
    We got this down Wednesday, I ended up going with Armors/FB/Combustion. The 10% damage reduction proved to be pretty significant, I ended the fight on the bottom of the damage taken meters with a couple million less from screeches. TS also came in pretty handy; you're able to use it on the ~6th screech then again around the ~18th.

I can see the benefits of going with CoC for farm, I just kept forgetting to use it on bats seeing as I haven't found much use for it in SoO up until this encounter.
    Technically glyphed CoC is our highest DPET aoe spell, but there's not really much to aoe down this tier that can't be handled by warlocks or other classes.

Deleted
    Glyph of armors & double blink

OR

Glyph of CoC and Inferno blast.

It depends on how much AoE your group needs. If your group is struggling on killing bats, go second option. If the issue is staying alive during screeches, go the first. If you have both issues, remove double blink in the first one for CoC.

I use TS and greater invisibility. Use invis when you're dropping low, or after kiting and you're out of range of healers with a debuff on you. (Don't use while kiting though, he will suddenly swap to someone else)

some tips:

- You can fit in a fireball between each screech. Or with enough haste (13k+ with multiple stacks of 2pc) you can fit in 2x scorch, or scorch+instant. (lb/pyroblast/ib)
    - Unless you're doing 28+ stacks in the first phase 1, and a very long kiting phase, don't use your second combustion. Instead, postpon e it till the bats, and use it right before the bats spawn, and spread it to them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmagoz View Post
    Glyph of armors & double blink

- Unless you're doing 28+ stacks in the first phase 1, and a very long kiting phase, don't use your second combustion. Instead, postpon e it till the bats, and use it right before the bats spawn, and spread it to them.
    Used to do this, not anymore. Missing out on a combustion that lines up with Bindings and Totem vs a little bit of extra DPS on bats that warlocks liquefy anyway isn't really worth it. Sure, hold off it you're having problems getting the bats down in time, if not it's a big DPS loss. The spread isn't worth that much and the timing of bats doesn't line up with trink procs.