Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Ever wondered how we can fly?

Isn't it amazing that in Vanilla we were limited to the ground. Then, along came TBC and the magic of flight was opened up to us. Since then, we have had to "learn" how to fly in any given area; often by simply visiting a flight trainer, or through clicking a tome. But how is it that we can learn something so complex in an instant?

I've been reading through the Warcraft books, and so far I'm up to The Last Guardian. I came across a passage that answers this very question. How is it that we can instantly be pros at flying under any given circumstances?

Medivh frowned. "Don't they teach anything among the Kirin Tor? I don't have time for this." He raised a finger and muttered a few words, touching Khadgar's forehead.

Khadgar stumbled back, shouting in surprise. The elder mage's touch felt as if he were driving a hot iron into his brain.

Medivh said, "Now you do know. Set the bit and bridle, now."

Khadgar touched his forehead, and let out a surprised gasp. He did know now, how to properly harness a gryphon, and to ride one as well, both with saddle and, in the dwarven style, without. He knew how to bank, how to force a hover, and most of all, how to prepare for a sudden landing.
    Not a burning question, but it's amazing what you find in the parallel lore and stories that we can access. I highly recommend reading the books. They fill in a lot of gaps and give us a greater insight into the overall world and its main characters.
    For the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    in a world where i can cast fireballs, riding a gryphon isnt largely surprising
    Hi

Deleted
    if you find a logical reason like this one explaining why our characters won't be able to fly in WoD, hit me up OP.

15+ Year Old Account
    It has to do with going back in time, the black portal, Medivh, the Kirin Tor, the Bronze Dragonflight, and Gul'dan. Fill in the gaps, and voila! no flying because of the whole time distortion mind block thing; which cannot be broken until 6.1 and the release of the correct magical energies.
    For the Alliance!

Barring flight has always been largely unexplained because it is completely pointless fluff.

Even on the isle of thunder where they tried to say if you flew in the air, lightning would zap your ass unless you were on a skyscreamer (which you rode for various quests). Well guess what, I have a skyscreamer mount, and it can't fly there either.

There is no logic or reason to anything in wow, they just do whatever they want designwise and when they get lazy they block things.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

How did I fly? I sit on a dragon and tell it to open it's wings and flap. Done

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiwyn View Post
    It has to do with going back in time, the black portal, Medivh, the Kirin Tor, the Bronze Dragonflight, and Gul'dan. Fill in the gaps, and voila! no flying because of the whole time distortion mind block thing; which cannot be broken until 6.1 and the release of the correct magical energies.
    i said logical reason

10+ Year Old Account
    We learned how to control Wyverns from all those taxi flights we took during Vanilla.

Same way I cast fire spells underwater.
    "We don't need Blizz to nerf the content. We need it to be less terrible." - Totalbiscuit

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Nope, never given thought to how we can fly in a video game I tend to not waste my time thinking about how things work in a fictional video game.

I'm a 7 foot tall anthropomorphic panda bear carrying 5 invisible backpacks each containing more than I could possibly carry that regularly survives direct hits from monsters with weapons 3x my size while showering them with an inexhaustible supply of beer.

Sometimes, you just have to go with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Newton's Laws and Bernoulli principle........Wait I mean magic...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzlee View Post
    if you find a logical reason like this one explaining why our characters won't be able to fly in WoD, hit me up OP.
    Because blizzard know more about designing and developing MMOs than you do, and they've come to the conclusion this is better for the game. Really the only reason thats necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our mounts are freaked out by the atmospheric conditions on Draenor. Also, since the sky is completely different from Outland, we don't know how to navigate in the air there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Our mounts are freaked out by the atmospheric conditions on Draenor. Also, since the sky is completely different from Outland, we don't know how to navigate in the air there.
    Our guys get all star trek for the world...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyranthian View Post
    Because blizzard know more about designing and developing MMOs than you do, and they've come to the conclusion this is better for the game. Really the only reason thats necessary.
    i'm talking about in game reasons silly, don't be dense. and blizzard may be better designing and developing MMOs than me, but i can safely say it wouldn't of took me 7 years to realise that no-flying is apparently "better for the game"

lol what? my sky-golem which is essentially a machine controlled by the character is freaked out by atmospheric conditions? so is the flying disc? so is the rocket? the plane?

and we don't know how to navigate the air there? no fly points in WoD then?
    Last edited by mmocc601d8cc3f; 2014-05-08 at 05:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol what? my sky-golem which is essentially a machine controlled by the character is freaked out by atmospheric conditions? so is the flying disc? so is the rocket? the plane?

and we don't know how to navigate the air there? no fly points in WoD then?
    Would you know how to get anywhere by air in a foreign country without GPS?

Deleted
    Would you know how to get anywhere by air in a foreign country without GPS?
    i'd ask directions. in wow terms: here's your quest "kill 5 skeletons at the temple of skeletonville" ask questgiver where the temple of skeletonville is "its north-east of here sir, look by the large river and you will also see the bones of a dragon, you can't miss it from there" okay brilliant i shall fly north-east until i see those landmarks.

imagine all the immersion the pro non-flyers would get from that? so much blizz wouldn't have to remove flying!

10+ Year Old Account
    Other flight "spells" were:
    • Original flight training for Outland (learning how to fly)
    • Cold Weather Flying (learning to deal with cold weather)
    • Flight Master's License
      • For old toons: already know how to fly, but need to be licensed to do it on Azeroth
      • For new toons: learning to fly and getting licensed (includes appropriate training for Outland)
    • Wisdom of the Four Winds (learning how to deal with the wind patterns of Pandaria)
    • Cloud Serpent Flying (learning how to handle a cloud serpent)

So what's unfeasible about not knowing how to handle the atmospheric conditions of Draenor?

Shit, you need extra training just to go faster.