Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care where I live. I am an inside person. Would be happier to move somewhere with alot faster internet. But fast internet in Australia isn't a thing.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    wisconsin is a terrible place to live. so boring and no healthcare for poor people.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Do I want to see the world on year-long travels? Fuck Yeah!

But I would never be able to call any other place in this world 'home'.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    The Hague is pretty nice, has some bad neighourhoods like any city but overall I'm happy.
    Glad to be moving from the building I live in, on Wednesday the police raided the place and confiscated €1.500.000 of illegal weed plants. The farm they setup in my apartment building was a firetrap
    Dutch Utopia first world luxury problems

Deleted
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedemora

Oldest city in Sweden. Medieval church still standing. Nature surrounds our little crater-like pit.

The Valleys, Dalarna, is called just that because pretty much wherever you live, you're surrounded by valleys.
    I'm very satisfied with where I live because of the scenery and people, but I wish it was stationed in another country.
    Our language is dull as fuck, our traditions in Sweden suck for the most part and yeah, it's too dull for me.

If I could pick any country, pack my bags and leave, I'd probably move to the outbacks in the US. I'm a country man.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    I don't really care where I live. I am an inside person. Would be happier to move somewhere with alot faster internet. But fast internet in Australia isn't a thing.
    I'm an inside person too, but I have to work, and some times you have to leave the house, whether you want to or not.

So I still care about where I'm living.
    Berlin is a horrible place to live (IMO), specially if you're from Bavaria.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    I'm an inside person too, but I have to work, and some times you have to leave the house, whether you want to or not.

So I still care about where I'm living.
    Berlin is a horrible place to live (IMO), specially if you're from Bavaria.
    I thought the train system in Berlin was pretty good, and there's a lot of cool history, but that makes it a good place to visit, not live, per se.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I live in the heart of mundane, It is suitable. I could do with less winter.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate it here. My area is pretty much permanently stuck about 20-30 years in the past. The only jobs are factory, retail, food, or nursing, and the unemployment in my town is around 30%. We don't even have a Taco Bell. The closest thing to a decent-sized town is about 25 miles away. Way too many wanna-be rednecks, the amish are rude and smell of cow and horse shit, the roads are in constantly horrible condition, and there is NOTHING to do. I hate the "parties" around here. Just people binge-drinking till they black out. The bars are overcrowded with 40-year old men and women that use alcohol as an excuse to be belligerent. Prices on everything suck vacuum compared to the average income. Most of the girls my age are either walruses, or have multiple children.

Oh, and the weather. Winters are too bloody cold, and summers are unbearably humid.

And I can't even make enough money to move out! Ugh.
    Last edited by Vouksh89; 2014-05-09 at 01:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am very happy here. Was born here, and i've always lived here. The city has a ton of History, and everything we need, Hospital, Schools, even a Politechnical school (mostly for engineering degrees), and plenty of places to be with friends (that includes night amusement lol).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castelo_Branco,_Portugal

The current bad point is the portuguese economy, nearly 30% of the cities stores have closed due to the austherity measure, unemployment skyrocket . I'm currently thinking that i might need to move away, perhaps to a diferent country, if it wasn't the fact that i love this city with all my strenght, perhaps i had already moved on.

Even that my country is currently a mess, the city itself its not banckrupt, its had surplous exercices in the last 3 years, local debt has been payed, and the city is investing part of that surplous money in new needed equipment.

Here is a video of the past years investiment...

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I thought the train system in Berlin was pretty good, and there's a lot of cool history, but that makes it a good place to visit, not live, per se.
    Good to visit, as you said, not to live in.

Job opportunities are not nearly as good (as good?) as here in Munich.
    Their train system is ok, not as good as Munich or Hamburg I think though, it's also a bit dirty IMO.
    The city seems run down in many places too...

It's too large, it takes a long time to get to wherever you need to go. etc etc...

Deleted
    Job opportunities are not nearly as good
    The above quote just made me think of something relevant, and this isn't as much a reply as it is just a thought.

I never subscribed to the concept of moving somewhere where you can find a job, and while it did take me quite a while to find a good one, and though I did have to study, be unemployed and live on welfare for a while, I never had to leave my friends behind (although, as you might imagine, a lot of them did leave this place behind), and I never had to settle for living somewhere that wasn't home. Ever since I can remember, I've had the idea that you should live where you want to live, and you make it work there.

I know I'm in the vast minority in thinking like that, though. So many people are enslaved by job prospects and illusory necessities as far as work goes, and they go where they feel they "have to", home and friends be damned. Having said that, there are, obviously, also people who want, and are happy to move from place to place. Still, in school, in the employment agency, in the welfare offices, my whole life everyone I've talked to, teachers, workers, have said that leaving everything behind and moving to chase a job is the only thing you should do.

Well, I said fuck that, and stayed here, and living in this awesome place has basically been the biggest thing keeping me sane. I have to wonder though, how many people here who say they're not satisfied with where they live moved there because of a job?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    I call greenery and parks in cities (if there is lots of it) the green sickness. Any urban area in Sweden, with a few exceptions, suffer from it. Its a virus.
    Uuh, how can you hate that?! I love parks in the city.

I originally come from Malmö in Sweden, I loved it there. The city isn't too big, and I had everything needed in a walking distance. I lived quite central in a good neighbourhood.

A couple of years ago I moved to a tiny shitplace with less than 2000 inhibitants. I hate it here. All we have is a foodstore and alot of junkies. I really like the environment though, Dalälven floats through here and we are surrounded by forrest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Dutch Utopia first world luxury problems
    Dutch Utopia is too damn flat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vouksh89 View Post
    I hate it here. My area is pretty much permanently stuck about 20-30 years in the past. The only jobs are factory, retail, food, or nursing, and the unemployment in my town is around 30%. We don't even have a Taco Bell. The closest thing to a decent-sized town is about 25 miles away. Way too many wanna-be rednecks, the amish are rude and smell of cow and horse shit, the roads are in constantly horrible condition, and there is NOTHING to do. I hate the "parties" around here. Just people binge-drinking till they black out. The bars are overcrowded with 40-year old men and women that use alcohol as an excuse to be belligerent. Prices on everything suck vacuum compared to the average income. Most of the girls my age are either walruses, or have multiple children.

Oh, and the weather. Winters are too bloody cold, and summers are unbearably humid.

And I can't even make enough money to move out! Ugh.
    You could always open a Taco Bell yourself and make a killing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    The above quote just made me think of something relevant, and this isn't as much a reply as it is just a thought.

I never subscribed to the concept of moving somewhere where you can find a job, and while it did take me quite a while to find a good one, and though I did have to study, be unemployed and live on welfare for a while, I never had to leave my friends behind (although, as you might imagine, a lot of them did leave this place behind), and I never had to settle for living somewhere that wasn't home. Ever since I can remember, I've had the idea that you should live where you want to live, and you make it work there.

I know I'm in the vast minority in thinking like that, though. So many people are enslaved by job prospects and illusory necessities as far as work goes, and they go where they feel they "have to", home and friends be damned. Having said that, there are, obviously, also people who want, and are happy to move from place to place. Still, in school, in the employment agency, in the welfare offices, my whole life everyone I've talked to, teachers, workers, have said that leaving everything behind and moving to chase a job is the only thing you should do.

Well, I said fuck that, and stayed here, and living in this awesome place has basically been the biggest thing keeping me sane. I have to wonder though, how many people here who say they're not satisfied with where they live moved there because of a job?
    My view was that if I stayed in San Jose, I never would have known if I stayed there because it was really where I wanted to be or if it was because it was the path of least resistance.

While I miss San Jose, and think on the whole it's a better place to live than Houston, I'm glad I left. I've experienced so much more of the world than I ever would have if I'd never left San Jose. I also wonder if I'd ever have ended up in a good career if I hadn't left, or if, like so many people who were at my 10 year high school reunion, I'd still be working at some dead end restaurant job.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

That's ok, and I understand what you're saying, but in my case, I would never move JUST BECAUSE of job opportunities/prospects.

I consider many other points too (quality of life, culture etc).
    I also never move to a place that I feel I don't ''belong to''. Do you know what it is like? When you feel like you ''belong'' to a place?

I have this with some cities, one of them is my own (Munich). However, I'm in a terrible situation right now with some people who are close to me...
    I've lived here all of my life, I've done/seen everything I wanted to here, I feel like there's nothing left I want from this place. I still love it, but I need something new.

That's why I'm considering moving, and also because I'd like to explore more of the world, I've traveled a lot around Europe, but not North America.
    Now, I'm not a wealthy person, I can't just pack my things and leave to... God knows where. I need to go to a place that offers me decent opportunities.

Currently, that is Calgary.

I take it you're not from here? (Germany)
    If so, where are you from?
    Born and bred in Geseke near Paderborn, lived 5 years in Düsseldorf and Ratingen and now 1.5 years in Eschborn near Frankfurt.
    So yeah, I am very much German if one can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyanmaru View Post
    Born and bred in Geseke near Paderborn, lived 5 years in Düsseldorf and Ratingen and now 1.5 years in Eschborn near Frankfurt.
    So yeah, I am very much German if one can be.
    I see. Just the way you said that before made me think you were not for some reason.
    Well, that and you must be the first German I know that actually likes Frankfurt.

I see. Just the way you said that before made me think you were not for some reason.
    Well, that and you must be the first German I know that actually likes Frankfurt.
    I like Eschborn, and that my workplace is close by in Frankfurt (hooray for the IT crowd at banks). I wouldn't really want to live in a big town without access to some green space around. Which was one of the main reasons why I left Düsseldorf and moved to the "outskirts of Ratingen".

I have no specific feelings for or against Frankfurt, it's just the next big town around the corner with a horrible amount of traffic on the streets.