Deleted

Trial as Prot Warr

As the trial says I'm trialing for a new guild this friday as a protection warrior, wich is imo severely undergeared and therefore I'm looking for advice in what gearing strategy would be the best.

They are doing 10m so I kind of quickly dismissed the mastery build as I wont be blocking that strong attacks but I still want some defense so I went with the avoidance strategy where I prioritize parry way higher than dodge due to DR but after all I dont know to much about these beasts as it's been my alt since mid t15 where you didnt have much to choose than mastery.

Warrior armory

So with this I'm open to advice and criticism, good or bad.

I normally wouldn't mention since I would assume you just forgot/are going to fix it but according to your armoury you are missing a belt buckle on every single one of your characters so you may want to look into that for starters.

Make sure you check the sticky.

If you are going to be tanking heroic bosses with that item level, I would reconsider using the parry build. 555 isn't "undergeared" for normal mode.

Throw dodge/parry into your gloves, not straight dodge. We want to be able to take advantage of Hold the Line. DR doesn't matter at all, especially at this gear level. You're not gearing for the avoidance, you're gearing for the rating to boost your crit with Riposte and generate rage to keep your active mitigation rolling and your DPS high. Also, get a belt buckle and throw a parry gem in it. Max out alchemy as well, I wouldn't let that slide as a recruiter. With your amount of hit, you should be able to dump the parry/hit gem, I think. Glyphs and talents are good enough. Good luck.

Deleted
    I cant max alchemy atm due to economical issues, they didnt care about it anyway. I think belt buckle is excessive on a flex belt as I WILL replace it within the next 1 or 2 weeks. I am going to tank 10m heroic so when you say "reconsider" avoidance build I'd rather have you come with suggestions instead of a plain statement @ButlerLog.

So with this said, I did indeed say that good and bad criticism was welcome but none of you really came with any good advice. I wanted to know if the avoidance build was fine in 10m as like I mentioned it yields decent dps and low total dmg taken with the lack of pure mitigation wich I didnt seem to consider good enough(aka mastery)

Also not that it matters in reality but Zulandia, what I use on my other characters is largely irrelevant as I didnt ask about them.

I apologize if this rant is in any way, shape or form rude in your opinion but fact remains that only idefiler came with any relevant advice on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexyn-eu View Post
    I think belt buckle is excessive on a flex belt as I WILL replace it within the next 1 or 2 weeks.
    As a member of a guild council that discusses newly applying members I can assure you that missing enchants won't go unnoticed, and some of the more strict guild leaders don't take such things lightly, even or especially if it's "just" a minor version of an item that might (or might not) be replaced soon. It's not so much the practical application but rather your attitude towards taking care of your gear that's being tested here, and it might stick as a black mark. Remember people do raid in 5 man blues the first few weeks of an xpac which are much much lower than your flex belt, and even that stuff had to be enchanted for proper raiders.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    That said: My 10 man raid group unfortunately runs with two warrior tanks. While I would love to say the avoidance warrior keeps up, it's just not true. He's about the same ilevel as you at the moment, and compared to the warrior gearing for crit, the avoidance warrior underperforms in just about every aspect. I wish I knew more about it to tell you why, but truth is I don't know why.
    That's just your raid having a good and a bad warrior. I'm not even sure the crit build even results in a noticeable DPS gain over a riposte build (with focus on parry). The crit warrior should be taking quite a lot more damage due to the lack of defensive stats but he seems to use his active migitation well enough to make the other warrior look bad.

b2t: Concerning the belt buckle: It doesn't cost much and it's a thing which has to be done asap. I see it as a very negative point for someone to not have his gear in his best condition (especially when it's that easy to do) and I've kicked trials for refusing to do it and expect to be carried to better gear.
    Last edited by meteo; 2014-05-08 at 04:28 PM.

The mastery build is better when you under-gear the content because your damage intake is smoother. Both builds will have you maxing out your shield block uptime (after all, you only need hit and expertise caps for that), but if you are mastery capped you are consistently taking 60% less damage 18 seconds out of every 24 which means that the damage spikes you can take as a tank are less frequent and less large in magnitude.

I would want to play it safe if I were applying for a raid slot, especially if I don't know the healers well and I feel undergeared for the content, because if you die noticeably more than the other tank they will be less inclined to accept your application. Indeed, my warrior is geared for mastery because I primarily tank for pugs with it.

As for the belt buckle: get it. Now. As a recruitment officer in various guilds, I have turned down applications because of missing enchants. Not having enchants shouts "lazy" at a recruitment officer.

I cant max alchemy atm due to economical issues, they didnt care about it anyway. I think belt buckle is excessive on a flex belt as I WILL replace it within the next 1 or 2 weeks. I am going to tank 10m heroic so when you say "reconsider" avoidance build I'd rather have you come with suggestions instead of a plain statement @ButlerLog.

So with this said, I did indeed say that good and bad criticism was welcome but none of you really came with any good advice. I wanted to know if the avoidance build was fine in 10m as like I mentioned it yields decent dps and low total dmg taken with the lack of pure mitigation wich I didnt seem to consider good enough(aka mastery)

Also not that it matters in reality but Zulandia, what I use on my other characters is largely irrelevant as I didnt ask about them.

I apologize if this rant is in any way, shape or form rude in your opinion but fact remains that only idefiler came with any relevant advice on the subject.
    It all comes down to appearance; just like in the real world, if you look sharp and speak smartly, you will often get the job even if you are obviously under qualified (undergeared/experienced/etc).

First thing I would notice is basic things you are missing, as stated by the Character audit on your armory profile. Even if I were to miss or overlook strange or sub-optimal gearing choices, like a wrong enchant or gem, things like missing enchants/gems or buckles are glaringly obvious. It is stated in plain sight on your Battle Net profile, and thus there is no excuse for missing it. Looking at what you do on your other characters is pretty telling as well. Obviously if they are bank alts, etc it doesn't matter, but anything that you raid with, will be looked at to see what your reoccurring trends are.

You may not agree and that is fine but any guild that has an interview, application or trial process is not going to accept a weak excuse like "I am going to replace it soon". They don't care about what you are going to do "soon". They care about what you are doing now, what you will bring to the raid and in civilian terms how you are going to "make them money".

TLDR: If you want to be taken seriously, show that you are a serious player and pay attention to detail.

- - - Updated - - -

Second point.

Don't be a jerkoff because you don't like peoples advice. This is a free forum, you asked a broad question regarding advice; you can't complain if the advice you are given isn't what you were looking for or the quality that you expected. It is a free forum after all where anyone can offer their opinion as opposed to targeted advice (such as in my link) where you know who will be giving you advice and their qualifications.

A correct response to Butterlog would have been:
    "Why do you suggest I reconsider avoidance build for heroics? What pro's/con's?"
    or even
    "I dont understand what you mean."

Apologizing for your rant doesn't make it any less rude, when you were the one who asked for help.

Deleted
    I guess my negative response was a bit...excessive. I was just trying to make a point and chose the wrong approach to it. So once again I apologize if I offended anyone, I just wanted to make it clear that my main question was wether or not avoidance gearing would be okay to tank with in 10m heroic as 553 ilvl.

The most recent answer from ButlerLog was very helpful though so I salute you for that

For the belt buckle, I fixed it on my warrior. And I know it isnt the best "excuse" but my paladin dont have it because it's my off-spec that I never played during raid hours and therefore I found the extra haste on it to be excessive. My monk used to be an alt that I just raided with casually.

I guess my negative response was a bit...excessive. I was just trying to make a point and chose the wrong approach to it. So once again I apologize if I offended anyone, I just wanted to make it clear that my main question was wether or not avoidance gearing would be okay to tank with in 10m heroic as 553 ilvl.

The most recent answer from ButlerLog was very helpful though so I salute you for that

For the belt buckle, I fixed it on my warrior. And I know it isnt the best "excuse" but my paladin dont have it because it's my off-spec that I never played during raid hours and therefore I found the extra haste on it to be excessive. My monk used to be an alt that I just raided with casually.
    It's all good, we all come here to learn. Sometimes what we need to learn is how to interact with others to get what we want. :P

I can be as thick headed as anyone else!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    Based on this I wouldn't even trial you. You have an attitude problem.
    I think he got the point though, see his most recent post.

Lol, damn it. I deleted my post because I sounded like a dick without having read his entire post... heh. Ya caught me.