Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

WoW Lost ZERO subscriptions over the last 9 months.

So WoW MoP must be really doing something good these last 9 months then.

Stable for a whole 9 months while almost all earlier MMO competition went free to play ...

I guess people came to realise that IF you still play an MMORPG you are better off with WoW in the LONG run.

And Hearthstone is a nice little new free to play recruiting tool too.

It is all up to WoD beta now !

We'll see if you are still playing this tune with Q2 reports

I was subbed then unsubbed within the last 9 months, guess that shoots your theory to hell eh.

Deleted
    Also unsubbed, so that's two losses! ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    He is right !

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    So WoW MoP must be really doing something good these last 9 months then.
    Specifically, preorder and character boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhan View Post
    Even so, the next quarterly report will be something to the effect of 250k subs lost, which would mean that in 1 years time, WoW only lost 250k subs. That's not too shabby.

However what it will show, is that during MoP, WoW would have lost almost 3 million players, the majority of them while MoP was new (the first year). This would indicate that those who tried MoP, quickly thought it to be garbage and quit (lol pandas, China, dailies, gating, grinding).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I was subbed then unsubbed within the last 9 months, guess that shoots your theory to hell eh.
    But someone else who was unsubbed, subbed, zeroing out losing you as a player. And it's not a theory, it's fact. It's on the front page of MMO-C, MoP has lost zero subs in the last 8-9 months.
    Last edited by ablib; 2014-05-08 at 09:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Even so, the next quarterly report will be something to the effect of 250k subs lost, which would mean that in 1 years time, WoW only lost 250k subs. That's not too shabby.

However what it will show, is that during MoP, WoW would have lost almost 3 million players, the majority of them while MoP was new (the first year). This would indicate people tried MoP and quickly thought it to be garbage and quit.
    I'd be surprised if it's not more than that, I mean Siege has already been over 6 months of siege, and WoD isn't going to be out in a quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by godofslack View Post
    I'd be surprised if it's not more than that,
    That what everyone has said for the past 5-6 quarters. There hasn't been a dramatic report of sub loss since March of 2013 (1.3 million lost).

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Yes, the game sucks so bad that people payed $50 to pre-order an expansion 8 months in advance and another $15 per month to keep playing.

I have no idea why anyone would think pre-orders helped keep people subscribed. If you are unhappy with the game, are you really going to spend $50 that far in advance for an expansion. To me, common sense would be that people who were going to unsubcribe would be the last ones who would pre-order and expansion. The people who pre-ordered are people who are very sure they will be playing WoD, and therefore probably pretty happy with the state of the game... not the other way around.

Deleted
    WoW might not have lost any subs, but they did not gain any either, which is just as bad. Any company should strive for becoming bigger as that results in growth. Standing still is still a loss for WoW.

Deleted
    I unsubbed... but i pre-ordered wod too. I'm going to return once its out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    This would indicate that those who tried MoP, quickly thought it to be garbage and quit (lol pandas, China, dailies, gating, grinding).
    Because you, personally, have that data detailing the specific reason or reasons that millions of people chose to do something right? And more importantly, do you always talk out of your ass?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cellineth View Post
    WoW might not have lost any subs, but they did not gain any either, which is just as bad. Any company should strive for becoming bigger as that results in growth. Standing still is still a loss for WoW.
    Because they haven't sold millions upon millions of copies of Diablo 3/its expansion, or Hearthstone cards, etc or anything...

You do realize that even at a 'paltry' 7.6 million subs WoW brings in over $110 million dollars a month right?
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Yes, the game sucks so bad that people payed $50 to pre-order an expansion 8 months in advance and another $15 per month to keep playing.

I have no idea why anyone would think pre-orders helped keep people subscribed. If you are unhappy with the game, are you really going to spend $50 that far in advance for an expansion. To me, common sense would be that people who were going to unsubcribe would be the last ones who would pre-order and expansion. The people who pre-ordered are people who are very sure they will be playing WoD, and therefore probably pretty happy with the state of the game... not the other way around.
    I was jesting a bit.

I am actually puzzled at why WoW didn't lose any subs. I think preorder and character boost played their part, but they probably aren't the main factor. I really am puzzled as to how they could have kept the subs without doing any new content and without announcing any new content in the near future (December isn't near), no jokes. My current theory is that most of the players don't care about new content that much to begin with because they never get to exhaust it all. They do their small thing a couple of times a week, and the game is big enough to last them for years as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhan View Post
    What a strange attitude.

Why would you preorder and get boosts if you weren't planning to play in WoD?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellineth View Post
    This is a great result considering the losses in the past in particular compared the losses seen two quarters after the launch of DS in Cata.

I was jesting a bit.

I am actually puzzled at why WoW didn't lose any subs. I think preorder and character boost played their part, but they probably aren't the main factor. I really am puzzled as to how they could have kept the subs without doing any new content and without announcing any new content in the near future (December isn't near), no jokes. My current theory is that most of the players don't care about new content that much to begin with because they never get to exhaust it all. They do their small thing a couple of times a week, and the game is big enough to last them for years as it is.
    WoW losing subs when there's no new content is a myth. Subs went up in Sunwell, up slightly in ICC, and didn't decline much in DS (despite the overall downward slope by that point). It just does not show up at the net subscriber level. More powerful factors drown it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Why would you preorder and get boosts if you weren't planning to play in WoD?
    You wait for WoD with little to do, you see the preorder, you think it's going to be soon, you make the preorder and continue playing. Add eager preparation for WoD. Possibly using character boost as part of that preparation.

- - - Updated - - -

WoW losing subs when there's no new content is a myth. Subs went up in Sunwell, up slightly in ICC, and didn't decline much in DS (despite the overall downward slope by that point). It just does not show up at the net subscriber level. More powerful factors drown it out.
    I previously thought subs didn't decline during DS because DS added LFR. But maybe you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Because you, personally, have that data detailing the specific reason or reasons that millions of people chose to do something right? And more importantly, do you always talk out of your ass?
    2.3 million players lost in the space of a year would suggest that there was a problem with the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    You do realize that even at a 'paltry' 7.6 million subs WoW brings in over $110 million dollars a month right?
    It doesn't.

For the old expansions you are right. But it was true for Cataclysm->MoP
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!