Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How to go about fighting a DK in Arena?

So lately I've come to realize most of the times I've beaten a DK was because I had help from my partner. In a 1v1 situation, I'm completely lost and feel helpless against DK and their huge amounts of damage that seems to come out of no where. What are the specific cooldowns I should look out for? I know theres IB and Desecrated Ground, but that's it and I think there are more? Most of the trouble comes across UH DKs, while good Frost DKs are very much a challenge as well.

Deleted
    Depends on your class.

1vs1, you'll never beat a competent DK as any class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    How? I generally find playing as a Frost DK to be one of the most frustrating things ever in PVP. Instantly focused, zero mobility and poor survivability.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakazam View Post
    How? I generally find playing as a Frost DK to be one of the most frustrating things ever in PVP. Instantly focused, zero mobility and poor survivability.
    because you're playing the wrong spec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remery View Post
    So lately I've come to realize most of the times I've beaten a DK was because I had help from my partner. In a 1v1 situation, I'm completely lost and feel helpless against DK and their huge amounts of damage that seems to come out of no where. What are the specific cooldowns I should look out for? I know theres IB and Desecrated Ground, but that's it and I think there are more? Most of the trouble comes across UH DKs, while good Frost DKs are very much a challenge as well.
    Try to do something to stop the gargoyle aswell, shackle undead, interrupt, kill it(not recommended) that fucker.

Kite Frost DK's just like Warriors.
    Last edited by mmocc25885c265; 2014-05-08 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    Depends on your class.
    ^ This

Depends on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryah View Post
    Depends on the situation.
    what a stupid sentence.....

if youre on the same skill lvl the dk should never lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruh View Post
    what a stupid sentence.....

if youre on the same skill lvl the dk should never lose.
    What a even more stupid sentence....
    OBVIOUSLY it depends on the situation, if DK has used gargoyle / dececrated ground etc...
    ITS KINDA easier to beat them.
    Monk have it pretty easy vs DK, so does rogues... Havent really played much else this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    OBVIOUSLY it depends on the situation, if DK has used gargoyle / dececrated ground etc...
    Monk have it pretty easy vs DK, so does rogues... Havent really played much else this season.
    Yeah thanks.

Are we having a 1v1 duel in Elwynn? Are we meeting randomly on a battleground? Did we just kill each other's healers in 2s? So many sub-factors of each of those scenarios as well.

I don't have any problems against rogues as a DK. WW monks can be a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkie View Post
    the question was "can a class beat a dk in a 1v1" and you come here to tell us, that it depends if the dk has used his cooldowns.

thank you... thank you for all your guidance and wisdom

Never lose to DK's ever on my Monk.

Lose to them almost all the time on my Druid.

Often the same DK's dueling out front of SW.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    alot of people gripe about def stance with warriors. i have a war and i admit def stance is op too. i think blood presence for unholy dks is waaay more op.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    alot of people gripe about def stance with warriors. i have a war and i admit def stance is op too. i think blood presence for unholy dks is waaay more op.
    DKs have 20% damage reduction for 12 seconds and AMS which shields against maybe 100 - 150k spell damage.

Warriors have shield wall, rallying cry, spell reflect, better mobility, die by the sword and banner.

Also 25% flat damage reduction is better than 10% damage reduction, 55% armor and 25% stamina, especially given the above factors. I would say both classes probably suffer the same kind of damage loss.

Monks should always kill a dk, and I'd imagine ret and moonkins probably have the upper hand too. I don't think any other class would generally beat a dk without a significant skill difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    In general you can beat any DK quite easily. Especially 1v1. The only DK that's actually difficult to beat as mage at least is Frost if they're any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryah View Post
    DKs have 20% damage reduction for 12 seconds and AMS which shields against maybe 100 - 150k spell damage.

Warriors have shield wall, rallying cry, spell reflect, better mobility, die by the sword and banner.

Also 25% flat damage reduction is better than 10% damage reduction, 55% armor and 25% stamina, especially given the above factors. I would say both classes probably suffer the same kind of damage loss.
    You forget the part that DKs have a passive healing ability and that the armor increase does better A LOT versus melee. The 25% stamina increase also isn't something to underestimate.

because you're playing the wrong spec.
    Mages dunk on deathknight's...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pool of the Dead View Post
    Never lose to DK's ever on my Monk.

Lose to them almost all the time on my Druid.

Often the same DK's dueling out front of SW.
    Go balance...

Beating a DK is about baiting their CDs and kiting them while the CDs are rolling. At least in my experience. Then once the CDs are gone you have to kill them fast. But then again as a healer I just facetank kite DKs till someone else kills 'em :P

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try to stay above 35% Health or be prepared to die in 7 Seconds. Soul Reaper hits like a truck for UH, especially when it crits. Be wary of Necrotic Strike stacks, absorbs healing, kite the DK at this point if you can. They have limited mobility, so escaping before Death Grip requires LoS. Also don't forget the PVP Bonus of Double Grip.

Frost relies on Runic Power too much to be much of threat, so tunnel it into being Blood Pres. In two's I consider Frost the first target often due to it's High Crits, Weak Survivability and ability to kill if left alone. UH you need to be aware of the Ghoul transforming, Gargoyle and Soul Reaper primarily. Diseases are also extremely painful from UH, so if you can remove them. Frost's main Cooldown for Damage is Pillar of Frost, a Strength Modifier (20% I think, unsure). UH is Gargoyle, Ghoul Transform.

What class/spec are you anyways OP?
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Plenty of things beat dks in a 1v1, not sure how people are saying otherwise, especially if there is LoS. Mages, hunters, ww, rogues, booms, ret and enh both im not sure about but can probably go either way. Basically anything with roots that can kite has a pretty solid chance.

@OP: The biggest cd to look out for by far is gargoyle. It hits harder than anything an UH has outside of soul reaper and it just spams shots. CC it, LoS it, or if you can quickly burst it its a possibility too. Even without it, dks do a crapton of damage all the time to everyone with high passive survivability. Their 2 weaknesses are nearly 0 mobility, and no real burst prevention cds. Best way to counter a dk is root or cc him and ignore him. That or you can burst him in a switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"