Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. BG Queue system. Being able to queue from wherever you are. People had to go to specific places.
    2. Huge worlds.
    3. Nodes, flowers and farming places spread around the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flying mounts and the lack of a need to be out in the world.

WPvP used to just happen. It came with the territory of traveling on PvP servers. Back in the day we used to just sit outside of Scarlet Monastery and duel all day. Sometimes we'd be low and a 70 running through with lowbies would kill us or we'd just gank them mercilessly until they could corpse walk to the instances.

Day in, day out.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    i love people saying flying mounts killed it...queing for bgs in ur home town killed it, also there being no incentive to do it killed it.
    Flying mount killed wows world pvp aswell. there's no denying in that, blizzard has stated this themselves, it makes people skip content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paythepiper View Post
    Tbh do we really want world pvp back? the endless ganking whilst farming, or questing?

i still have a hatred for alliance players, ill never forget trying to get out of STV, getting corpse camped from you entered til you left..
    It was a MMORPG back then. Today I'm not sure. Guild wars in STV was common. You ganked a few of the guild, they called the whole thing for backup and people could fight for hours and hours. Why`? Because essentially 30 - 60 wasn't such a huge power difference, you couldn't really just oneshot like today a 90 can a 70 or a 80. When you had 2-3 30s you actually COULD lose, or not. Depending on your gear and skills.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dungeon que + ridiculously fast level up and flying mounts.

Flying mounts don't matter that much really, just don't let people fly till certain level, period.

Fast level up is stupid as well, makes no sense to have a level 70 in a day, and in just two more days a level 90.

Ahh well, GRTBR!

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gestapo View Post
    And what will help bring it back (at least some of it)?
    What killed world pvp is that people got tired of it. It was fun for a while and then people wanted to move on and do other things. I am not convinced that there is really anything that can be done to bring it back short of forcing it on unwilling participants, and if that is what it will take, I am not convinced that they should bring it back.

there's still plenty of realms on EU offering active world pvp, so it's not dead, far from.

Sylvanas and Defias Brotherhood have great active world pvp going, on both sides usually (Sylvanas on Horde a little more so than Alliance, but there's world pvp guilds for Alliance as well)

The truth is World PVP was never really killed, people just don't bother looking hard enough for it. They can keep world pvp alive themselves just as well as the next one. Small group ganking, going timeless with a few buddies or guildies, attack a town in hope of baiting some alliance to come (Trust me, it works, attack Darkshire as Horde on Sylvanas and wait it out, eventually there'll be at least 3-8 alliance there)

Both Sylvanas and Defias offers active small and large scale world pvp. It's really not that hard. World pvp isn't dead, and if you truly gave a damn about world pvp, you would've taken the effort to keep it alive yourself, or moved to the realms that still offers it.

There's still WPvP on timeless, there was WPvP in tol barad (the daily place), there was WPvP in the firelands place,... Most people whining about WPvP sit in Orgrimmar all day, where there never was WPvP to begin with.

The best way for Blizzard to create WPvP is give people an incentive to go to certain places for dailies/grinding/... The reason the scarlet place in EPL had WPvP was because people went there to farm, just like people go to timeless, tol barad, ... I avoid places like that like the plague when I'm on a high pop server on an alt that isn't geared just because of the ganking/WPvP going on. Flying probably ha someting to do with it being less common, considering the places that come to mind are all non flying.

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    i love people saying flying mounts killed it...queing for bgs in ur home town killed it, also there being no incentive to do it killed it.
    There never was an incentive for WPVP though?

Instanced PVP with better rewards.

Not flying mounts, flying mounts have no impact on what people feel like doing in-game and if people FELT like doing world pvp, they would. End of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ferbian View Post
    there's still plenty of realms on EU offering active world pvp, so it's not dead, far from.

Sylvanas and Defias Brotherhood have great active world pvp going, on both sides usually (Sylvanas on Horde a little more so than Alliance, but there's world pvp guilds for Alliance as well)

The truth is World PVP was never really killed, people just don't bother looking hard enough for it. They can keep world pvp alive themselves just as well as the next one. Small group ganking, going timeless with a few buddies or guildies, attack a town in hope of baiting some alliance to come (Trust me, it works, attack Darkshire as Horde on Sylvanas and wait it out, eventually there'll be at least 3-8 alliance there)

Both Sylvanas and Defias offers active small and large scale world pvp. It's really not that hard. World pvp isn't dead, and if you truly gave a damn about world pvp, you would've taken the effort to keep it alive yourself, or moved to the realms that still offers it.
    This. 10000 times over this. People just find a scapegoat, just like when they say "Uuuh LFG killed the community no one wants to do stuff through manual group making anymore!"...bullshit, tons of groups going on for VP cap, JP farming, Flex, old content and so on if people would just bother looking for it instead of bitching.

One of the best WPVP battles I have ever experienced took place at the Crossroads during CATACLYSM, meaning everyone could fly. Sure, when people ressed they'd fly up and gather, and when they were organised again they'd all come down in one swoop and all hell would break lose...we fought them off tho ^^. How did it start? 2 Alliance were attacking Crossroads, some Horde responded and more gathered for each side...guess people WANTING wpvp were online and willing that particular day.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2014-06-10 at 01:10 PM.

No rewards doing it. No interrest in doing it.

Before when you had large communities on the servers. People made events. Like the famouse Attack on southshore. This doesnt happen anymore because people sit in town waiting on queue. Flying mounts didnt do shit on world pvp. Bg's and easymode queuing did

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    One of the best WPVP battles I have ever experienced took place at the Crossroads during CATACLYSM, meaning everyone could fly. Sure, when people ressed they'd fly up and gather, and when they were organised again they'd all come down in one swoop and all hell would break lose...we fought them off tho ^^. How did it start? 2 Alliance were attacking Crossroads, some Horde responded and more gathered for each side...guess people WANTING wpvp were online and willing that particular day.
    This is the exact type of world pvp still going on, on Sylvanas. Sure we still have us gathering up on our mounts and scooping into a place rather than just small 1-3 people going about, but sometimes with pvp vendors under attack (Horde ones is a little dead, so 3-5 people can easily attack it) it can also evolve into larger stuff.

That or going ganking in Valley of four winds, Pangs stead the likes, BMAH / Legendary quest place, small places where you can either harass a lowbie or two into bringing their mains or find their mains being there already. Bam, you got world pvp going.

Gather some mates, go to a place like Stormwind mage tower / Orgrimmar cleft of shadows / zeppelin towers, easy places to hold out a little bit, but enough to provoke people to come fight you.

Interaction in a community. There's still some servers who enjoy it, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    What killed world pvp is that people got tired of it. It was fun for a while and then people wanted to move on and do other things. I am not convinced that there is really anything that can be done to bring it back short of forcing it on unwilling participants, and if that is what it will take, I am not convinced that they should bring it back.
    There's actually a pretty interesting thread on this very forum about proposing a bounty system. The idea still needs ironing out, but so far it's the most complete 'bounty hunter' idea I've seen yet. Stuff like this could really boost world pvp.

To those that dislike it, I'm genuinely curious as to why you're on a pvp server, no sarcasm. Myself, I chose a pvp server knowing what I was getting into. I first unknowingly rolled on a pvp server back in vanilla beta, tried out rp, pve etc. and came back because I loved the pvp. I actually like the whole unpredictability of world pvp.

I'm a little more hopeful for WoD bringing back world pvp. Despite my strong support of the 'pro-flight' side it might improve world pvp, at least in the first patch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ferbian View Post

I like this post. Glad to hear it, and hope to see more like this and more wpvp in WoD.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In general, the lack of any real need to go out into the open world.

Quebased systems keep people in their captials.

Add to this 0 incentive to do world pvp and vwala! death of world pvp. I doubt at this point you could even bring it back, I know Isle of thunder tried to with the PVP daily quest option and then Timless Isle with the centure but I hardly see anyone useing either of those outlets becuse again..the reward is nothing major.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Because essentially 30 - 60 wasn't such a huge power difference
    LOL what? You could easily 1 shot a 30 as a 60. Hell depending on gear difference as spec you could 1-2 shot another 60.

wPvP was dead before flying was in the game =P
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

For one thing, Blizzard DID in fact learn from Ultima Online, some players just don't want to deal with it.

While, I don't care about World PvP, it WAS disruptive to the overall enjoyment of the player base. I had GREAT times in Southshore with my Rogue. What made it great was the organic nature of the battle. Much like old AV it flowed like a river, back, forth and again.

Though, you honestly can't disrupt the other players not wanting to participate.

I know for a fact in UO, I made several players QUIT the game. Hiding outside their houses, predating. I would kill them steal, their house keys, and rob them. Sometimes OVER and OVER again.

While, I just use that instance as a base, while it wasn't as extreme in WoW. The problem is people would have enough problems with OWPvP to complain to GMs. GMs having to deal with problems they can't fix, then delays fixing real problems. Which inconveniences everyone else. Then you have people fed up enough to actually quit because they can't progress.

So the answer is Blizzard killed OWPvP, on purpose, for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by gestapo View Post
    I like this post. Glad to hear it, and hope to see more like this and more wpvp in WoD.
    By all means come find us on Sylvanas EU when that time comes

www.Vengefuldawn.com

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    flying mounts and too much interaction with menus instead of the world.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

competetive arena did, there are no rewards in world pvp..

Deleted
    I personally think that flying in the world really killed World PvP. Everyone flys around and no one really sees anyone. Also, i feel that PVE gear has killed it partially because PvE geared players seem to hit a lot harder and heal a lot more than PvP players can. Hopefully, it will be fixed in WOD.