15+ Year Old Account

Win8.1 black screen for 1,5-2s now and then in games

My first thought was that it reminded me of the Win7, loosely translated, "the graphics driver stopped responding" issue but I get no notices at all after it happens.
    I checked the drivers and took a quick peak in bios as well if I could find something suspicious but came up short.
    It is a bit random, sometimes it can occur twice in and hour then nothing for 2-3 days but it sure is annoying when it happens.
    The PC is less than 3 weeks old, everything is updated including bios firmware and other details, also dxdiag find no errors.
    (Using ASUS GTX 760 is the gfx.)

Any ideas what could cause this?

Cheers

God damn, wrong forum section, sorry for that will get it moved
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Two quick questions:

Does this happen with all games? (If not, which games are causing it?)
    Has this happened ever since you bought it, or only recently?
    Dont play too many but yea it happened in all 3 that I play regularly.
    Yea pretty much from the start, only had the pc for 2,5-3 weeks.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

first thing I would do is open it up and take out the video card, make sure all the connectors are clean from dust and that your PCI-E slot is clean. Sometimes that is all it needs. If that doesn't work then you need to do a closer check.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mentioned you checked the DXdiag logs, but did you also check the windows event log? If something falls over in your system then it may be reported there.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

First thing I'd do is check the GPU temps.

Deleted
    Sounds like broken hardware. Check your monitor, including cords, first. Then check the graphics card.

Driver or video card (dust, overheating, fan problems, cracked/dried/crusty thermal interface) is most likely. Start with driver update via clean uninstall/reinstall. Don't assume a driver you got from the OEM is correct just because the version number looks recent. Clean out your video card. See if that helps. Also possible it's a power issue if your PSU isn't up to snuff or you haven't given the vidcard any additional power it requires.

Deleted
    Screen blanking can easily be the fault of a loose or broken cable, or broken plugs, though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Any chance you've checked the temperature, specifically on the GPU? I doubt that's the problem, but if it's overheating it could be resetting itself.
    Hmm need to install something for that I recon. Only checked the temps and fans which are checkable in BIOS.
    Will do it later tonite.

first thing I would do is open it up and take out the video card, make sure all the connectors are clean from dust and that your PCI-E slot is clean. Sometimes that is all it needs. If that doesn't work then you need to do a closer check.
    Everything is clean, its not even 3 weeks old and I already vacuumed it once cos I still remember the dust bomb my old pc was

You mentioned you checked the DXdiag logs, but did you also check the windows event log? If something falls over in your system then it may be reported there.
    Dont cnat understand how I missed that, will do that as soon as it happens again.

Sounds like broken hardware. Check your monitor, including cords, first. Then check the graphics card.
    It is very unlikely, less than 3 weeks old. I built it myself and there were no cables with the insulating rubber worn off, bent connectors on components etc.

The only non-new cable is the dvi cable but I doubt it regarding that one two, it is tightly screwed into place in both ends and it looks just fine.

I guess I will wait for it to happen again and swoop down on the windows logs as starter and install some ASUS software to monitor the GPU temp.

Thnx for the replies so far everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Hmm need to install something for that I recon. Only checked the temps and fans which are checkable in BIOS.
    Will do it later tonite.
    I've had the same kind of issue with Windows 7. Happened mostly on Planetside 2 for whatever reason (Windows 7). Downloaded EVGA Precision X. Was running hot and auto fan speed was inadequate. Set a custom profile for games and now the black screen flash / display driver stops responding no longer happens.

15+ Year Old Account
    Have you accidentally enabled Shadow Play in Geforce Experience panel? It's known to cause weird black screen issues. Hence why I disabled it entirely.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

15+ Year Old Account
    GPU temp peaked at 66 deegrees C at GPU load from 70-90% (tested with World of tanks 1900x1200 ultra settings), seems fair and not too much I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    GPU temp peaked at 66 deegrees C at GPU load from 70-90% (tested with World of tanks 1900x1200 ultra settings), seems fair and not too much I guess.
    Rules that out at least.