Deleted

[Prot] Crit build questions.

Hello!

I'm raiding with a casual group (1 raid a week).

The thing is that we're stuck on Shamans HC with our best try at 8%. The reason for this thread is to find more info about the "crit build" I've been reading about when browsing this forum, basically I want to improve my own damage to help push us closer to a kill.

Here's my armory btw:http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...elgum/advanced

My questions are:

1. What is the stat priority for the crit build? Is it Crit -> Haste -> Mastery?
    2. What are the cons with the crit build?
    3. Are there any special gear pieces you need to go for the crit build?
    4. Is it worth it for a casual player like myself to go for it?

If there's a long discussion about the crit build in the Prot advice thread, could you please redirect me to it? I suck at forum browsing.

Thanks!

/Leaftwig

1) yes
    2) you lose a ton of mitigation
    3) yes pieces with crit
    4) no, you are on progression, in a guild that still has a long way to. If you are running into problems killing a boss tank dps is not gonna be the right thing to try and fix. Finding better strats or having better raid calls that keep your dps alive will help you more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaftwig View Post
    Hello!

I'm raiding with a casual group (1 raid a week).

The thing is that we're stuck on Shamans HC with our best try at 8%. The reason for this thread is to find more info about the "crit build" I've been reading about when browsing this forum, basically I want to improve my own damage to help push us closer to a kill.

Here's my armory btw:http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...elgum/advanced

My questions are:

1. What is the stat priority for the crit build? Is it Crit -> Haste -> Mastery?
    2. What are the cons with the crit build?
    3. Are there any special gear pieces you need to go for the crit build?
    4. Is it worth it for a casual player like myself to go for it?

If there's a long discussion about the crit build in the Prot advice thread, could you please redirect me to it? I suck at forum browsing.

Thanks!

/Leaftwig
    The "crit" build is essentially just a modified haste build, and without very high iLvl, you will not notice a significant difference between it and a mastery build. You still prioritize haste to 50%, then, and ONLY THEN, crit.

The cons with the crit build are only really visible on fights with either very, very heavy damage (think Garrosh HC where even 400k EF ticks have relatively low overheal), or fights with overwhelmingly physical damage. You will technically be squishier, but tank damage is such an absolute joke in SoO outside the last few bosses that you simply will not notice it.

You need no special pieces of gear. Get any offset pieces you can with haste and crit, and you're set. Arguably you can (like myself) forego tier completely and hit 25-30% raid-buffed crit in BiS HC WF pieces, but this assumes access to things like HC ret tier legs, etc, which I assume does not like in your future.

As to whether I'd recommend it for a casual? Not particularly. You'll see greater performance increases from things like intelligent glyph choices. You have 4-set and DP talented. Why no WoG glyph? You're doing Dark Shamans and you're tanking Haromm (that or you're an idiot - nobody takes Purity outside of tanking Haromm :P ). Why no Focused Shield glyph? Fix stuff like meh glyph choices first, worry about crit builds later.

Edit: I have to admit I chuckled at the post above mine. "Tank DPS isn't the way to fix things." If you're a 10-man tank, knock that idiot notion out of your head immediately. Your DPS matters just as much as any "true DPS", and will until they nerf it and make us boring as sin again in WoD. There is also no such thing as a "crit-first" build. I have no idea where the above poster got that idea from. Even Jellospally, Lazel and I, who enjoy DPS-whoring significantly more than your average paladin, aren't foolhardy/stupid enough to try that.
    Last edited by mmoc312bb4353b; 2014-05-10 at 01:27 AM.

Deleted
    Thank you for your replies!

Praisethesun:

Thank you for your informative post. You are correct that I one of the Haromm tanks The reason I haven't used the focused shield glyph or the WoG glyph is that I've been under the impression that my damage hasn't been that important, which is why I've never bothered changing them. Now I've been reading up a lot, and kind of, sort of, maybe, forgotten about my glyphs.
    And no, Klaxxi HC are not on our horizon anytime soon. Unless I get a boost from our progress group, which I'm way too proud to ask for. And thanks for the clarification about the crit build.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbob View Post
    1) yes
    Should the stat priority not be haste>crit even for a crit build as that yields higher dps? Or do the crit amp trinkets weigh enough to push crit ahead of haste in terms of dps?

No you still go haste to 50% then crit. Don't go double amp. Its very weak.

Skeers / Cleave trinket provide way more dps on most of the fights and Vial for a few ie: malk/thok/paragons/garrosh.

Haste > Crit build is fine for 10 man progression at the Ilvl you have.(if you are 10 man don't see you stating it in op) If 25 crit is meh the highest dps pallies are haste/mas using Thok + Skeers or Cleave trinket based on fight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    No you still go haste to 50% then crit. Don't go double amp. Its very weak.

Skeers / Cleave trinket provide way more dps on most of the fights and Vial for a few ie: malk/thok/paragons/garrosh.

Haste > Crit build is fine for 10 man progression at the Ilvl you have.(if you are 10 man don't see you stating it in op) If 25 crit is meh the highest dps pallies are haste/mas using Thok + Skeers or Cleave trinket based on fight.
    Jellospally.

Yes, I am a 10man raider. So if I understood you correctly, I should go for 50% haste and THEN go for crit. I do have the heroic version of the cleave trinket. For 10 man, should I still go for haste/mastery, but use the trinket combo you suggested? Unless the fight suggests otherwise? Like single tanking the Rage during Malkorok for example?

Really depends. If you are around 45%+ on SoR with might buff you are fine. You really don't need higher. I've never really ran with more than 4500-5000 mas rating before might... currently have 4700mas and 21% crit

If you have that go Haste 21250 > Crit. Luckily its a simple unreforge items that you made to crit to mas if you really need more DR but so many fights have a lot of magic dmg so mastery gets diminished. Most of our defense on those fights is just making sure good EFs are up.

As for the 2nd trinket slot run either Cleave trinket(Protectors, Galakras, Dark Shamans(if stacking both bosses all fight), Spoils(if you pull 3-4 mobs most of the time))

I use Skeers on most other fights(Immers, Norushen, Sha, Iron Jug(solo tanking I use Vial), Dark Shaman(if not stacking), Nazgrim, Siegecrafter(at least in my gear I never used vial))

Rest I'd use Vial. If you wana be safe just use Vial on everything, but if you feel comfortable with a fight or doing normals on anything drop vial for Skeer or Cleave.

As for Malk solo Blood Rage. Yes Thok + Vial for this fight(not required with more gear but for first few kills id use Vial). You can HA + Wings after you cast 2 SoR's on opener. HA comes up just before Blood Rage(about 10 seconds before) HA + Guardian first 12seconds and immediately chain DP(glyphed for this fight) and AD together and Wings whenever it comes off CD during Blood Rage. Refresh EF every 5 stack during Blood Rage.
    Last edited by Jellospally; 2014-05-10 at 08:43 PM.