Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Natural Vs. Synthetic Gemstones.

((Note, this is coming from a male who’s by no means ageologist, or a gemologist.))

I don’t really see why people will spend thousands more fora “natural” gem when their “grown” counterparts are indistinguishable from thereal thing. It’s like saying; “Hey, this car costs fifteen thousand dollarsmore, but it has cup holders!”

Frankly, if I’m looking for gems for any reason; and maybe I’mjust a bit new-fashion, but it seems a bit ridicules to dwell on where theycame from, and instead focus on what they look like.

They're called Veblen goods - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

The crazy cost of them drives demand because they're intended to be an ostentatious display. In the context of engagement, they're intended to be expensive as a means of demonstrating commitment.

Deleted
    The real question is why people place such value on shiny rocks, yes diamonds have their industrial uses but are they really worth the price just so you can wear them on your finger?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    The real question is why people place such value on shiny rocks, yes diamonds have their industrial uses but are they really worth the price just so you can wear them on your finger?
    They look pretty should be enough of a reason if you have disposable income. I love my birthstone ring.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    I had my wife build her own engagement ring when we got engaged. She decided not to go the mainstream route and went with Alexandrite as her center stone. The difference between a natural alexandrite and the "Grown" alexandrite was about $4000. There is no difference in appearance or weight....the price is strictly based on the rarity of the stone.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    not as far as I'm concerned. it's 100 percent a vanity thing nowadays especially considering synthetic gemstones can be made to be just as useful for non jewelry related purposes as a natural one but then the gemstone mining and selling folks wouldn't be able to make billion upon billions with rocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even knowing how much of a scam engagement rings are I still want one if I get married.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something about holding a gem in my hand and knowing that it was forged in the earth or even in the stars by forces much more powerful than I, and from those violent forces came a beautiful gem that is older than time and will last forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Even knowing how much of a scam engagement rings are I still want one if I get married.
    Get a synthetic diamond that is superior, a fraction of the price, and indistinguishable from a natural stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Randec View Post
    There's something about holding a gem in my hand and knowing that it was forged in the earth or even in the stars by forces much more powerful than I, and from those violent forces came a beautiful gem that is older than time and will last forever.
    yea... a man made gem just seems somehow cheap and fake even if its the same crystal and all.
    may as well just go for plastic or glass "gems".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ruprechtxub View Post
    The real question is why people place such value on shiny rocks
    Its pretty, and they;re rare depending on the stone. As long as humans want something pretty to decorate with, it will always have a value.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crissi View Post
    its pretty, and they;re rare depending on the stone. As long as humans want something pretty to decorate with, it will always have a value.
    ...shinys!!! My precious shiny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Currently you can get synthetic gems that are chemically and physically identical to natural.

One of my professors had a 1kg block of sapphire that a friend of his made that was higher "quality" than natural. The catch is that synthetics are consider too high of quality. The "flaws", which create the colors and clarity, are too precise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Randec View Post
    Actually. Diamonds are constantly undergoing a transition to graphite, so they won't last forever.

A lot of the stones aren't that rare though... The prices on a lot of this stuff used to be really low until Debeers decided to start marketing them as super rare and a must have if you loved someone. They then set their prices higher. The rare gems market is 98% a sham and scam to screw idiots out of their money.

So to your original question I say Synthetic. It's the only way a person can reasonably get something since the sellers of this crap won't actually price it at what it should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerethepaladin View Post
    it seems a bit ridicules to dwell on where theycame from
    Isn't the whole point, and the only point, of jewelry, art, and any other e-peen shit, where it came from?

15+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of natural gems much more fantastic, rare, beautiful, and cheaper than diamonds.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Engagement rings are an ancient tradition.

De Beers popularised diamond engagement rings, as opposed to other types - which was hardly surprising considering what De Beers are famous for - they didn't invent them, nor did they invent the idea that diamond rings were the ultimate symbol of engagement.

That video is shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    De Beers popularised diamond engagement rings, as opposed to other types - which was hardly surprising considering what De Beers are famous for - they didn't invent them, nor did they invent the idea that diamond rings were the ultimate symbol of engagement.
    I have to wonder if you even watched the video, or if you just like to suck the fun out of things.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to wonder if you even watched the video, or if you just like to suck the fun out of things.
    I watched the video.

When a smiley fat bloke in an ill fitting suit tells you that the ring you're wearing is due to an advertising campaign, and not an ancient tradition with strong romantic associations, the chances are that he is just a cheapskate.

So when your boyfriend tries to palm you off with an apple by claiming that a ring is just a symbol of cynical marketing by De Beers, tell him to go fuck himself and get his arse to the jewellers.