Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
LastLast
  1. #101
    Because expanding audience appeal and drawing-in new players become priorities, which generally causes a game to lose depth and flavor. It is a sad (but necessary) process of mainstream gaming (and just generally part of expanding a game studio).

    Also, just an observation, seems like at one point Blizzard put all their eggs in the same basket and lost track of how much money they were spending, and so WoW became their means of staying afloat between 2007 and now. This also undoubtedly played a part in the whole "gimme handouts NOW" philosophy shift of the game.

    That said, I love Blizz and I will love them forever. Sometimes, it seems like they're just too far gone competing with the other big players of the industry... although, with Vivendi shareholders off their backs, they might go back to playing by their own rules. That's what Hearthstone and RoS seem to suggest.
    Last edited by Vaneesh; 2014-05-12 at 09:13 AM.
    Education is not a substitute for common sense, and common sense is not a substitute for education.
    -Anonymous

  2. #102
    Because the game was growing and the devs constantly improved the game. Right now it seems like they're more in a damage control phase. They are just trying to keep people playing, rather than focusing on innovating. It's clear their philosophy has changed since 2004. I think the next 6 months we will see another huge drop in subs. ESO just came out and Wildstar is right around the corner. I think Wildstar will bring people in because it offers a lot that WoW does not. Right now we are in an end of expansion funk so the community feels very dead. Why Blizzard thinks its a good idea to let the last raid carry out for an entire year is beyond me. They better have some tricks up their sleeve for WoD, or else the community won't feel anymore alive than it does right now.

  3. #103
    Herald of the Titans zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Sussex View Post
    I remember starting WoW in Nov 2004 with a bunch of people I played SWG (star wars galaxies) with back in 2003/early 2004.

    The world/game in general felt thriving and huge to me...even coming from another MMORPG..

    I'd say this feeling lasted from 2004-2007

    NOTE: I am not saying the game was BETTER OR WORSE, im just saying it felt more "alive", the game is far better now...to a gaming point of view...tons more things to do, tons more features....a lot more things fixed...many useless things now playable...i am not denying this fact

    Now when I log into the game I just feel like im walking around in a museum or something....the game just feels dead...even though theres MILLIONs of more subscribers...I wish I could explain it better but I guess you sort of have to be around MMORPGs a long time.


    I am not talking about inner guild communities...thats normal..im talking about the community as 1 entity...it seems dead. And please don't think your private raiding guild chatter/banter makes up for this....i am talking about server wide community here.
    The server communities died when they introduced the LFD tool since there were no reason to talk to each other anymore.

  4. #104
    It was more because the community. All the best fame i've played community wise usually had the smaller player bases. You would see the same faces in trade district, the same enemies in pvp and you would run dungeons with regular groups, you would add good people to play with again and develop friendships. Because you formed these alliances and friendships and even rivalries, the game felt far more alive. Also things were difficult alone, things were complex, you couldn't just waltz in to BWL to use the alchemy table. The world didn't revolve around you like it does in a lot of modern MMO's, you revolved around the world. A good example of this is airships/boats, if you miss it, you can't just talk to an npc, see a load screen and be there, like the portals do now. You would wait, the world felt alive and you were part of it, not the world just bending to suit you best

  5. #105
    The community died quite a bit when they unified 10/25 lockouts and pugging was practically non-existent. I'm hoping this changes somewhat in WoD when we get separate lockouts for each difficulty.

  6. #106
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    675
    Because you didn't know all the zones and quests, so the world was full of surprises.
    What horde player doesn't know about the Bonechewer Blood quest in Hellfire today?
    Where i upload all my music:
    My Soundcloud!

  7. #107
    Scarab Lord Conscious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Boston, MA.
    Posts
    4,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Closer to tinfoil hat than provable fact. Why does everyone insist on using their pet peeve as the "reason" for sub decline? Theres hundreds of reasons.

    @The OP. It was new and exciting then. Now you kind of know it all either through seeing it quickly or sneak peeks from outside media. Maybe all the people bitching about not being able to fly will get back that feeling you had!
    Yeah right, when flying doesn't do it they're going to remove something else, and when that doesn't work, another.

    Whatever FOTM argument the vocal minority wants to use in order to try and domineer this game again.
    Looking to refund your Warlords of Draenor purchase? Contact Support chat directly - here.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaosturn View Post
    Because you didn't know all the zones and quests, so the world was full of surprises.
    What horde player doesn't know about the Bonechewer Blood quest in Hellfire today?
    this isn't true. i haven't fully leveled a character through the redesigned 1-60 because of how mundane, lowest common denominator, and disjointed it is. the zones and the quests themselves are inadequate to give that feeling of being alive.
    Last edited by jakeic; 2014-05-12 at 03:41 PM.

  9. #109
    The Patient F4ulty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    211
    My Alliance server is a quiet RP realm that still has a few characters you notice in trade chat. Like very small time celebrities, almost. It's fun, but the server as a whole is meh.
    My Horde server is a lot more populated, and 'better', but the last time I recall remembering a character was the first week of MoP, when only the dedicated few of us had managed to hit 90 on our Monks.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    The server communities died when they introduced the LFD tool since there were no reason to talk to each other anymore.
    This was my thought as well. Before that, you were forced to stand in town spamming 'LF tank/healer for <insert instance name here>' for hours on end. You had to sort through random spam and silly conversations, religious debates, political debates, Chuck Norris jokes, linking achievements and making dirty word jokes... now you can be wherever, with all of your chat channels off, and get into groups just by waiting for half an hour or so.

    Plus the leveling process is easier now with a majority of the elite quests gone or soloable, so the world is a bit more quiet than it used to be as well.

    Also it's just a matter of the game getting stale. I get on for raids a few minutes before our scheduled time, and log off immediately after, never bothering to get on otherwise since there's no need and not much to do. Looking forward to WoD and the garrisons though, hoping that renews my interest. As much as I love WoW, I'm just biding my time with other MMOs most of the time.

  11. #111
    Because people were out in the world, you met players, not 95% of the playerbase (not real numbers) was semi-afk in their city waiting for their queue.
    I am the one who knocks!

  12. #112
    With the introduction of LFG/LFR and things alike, unfortunately the games community was slowly turning in 'fat slobs', avoiding so many opportunities engaging and meeting new players, where it was back then when everything was so open and adventurous, nowadays everything is just too fast faced.

  13. #113
    My guess? Long story short: there were less idiots around when the game was young.

    Success attracts FotM-retards who only do something if it's popular. Then their weight starts pulling the game down and we get stuff like MoP.

  14. #114
    Pretty simple really. At the start of the game everyone was out in the world leveling together, not to mention leveling took longer so people were out in the world for longer periods of time. Plus you generally had to hoof it to any given instance you wanted to do, creating clumps of players in those areas - with the PvP that naturally spawned from that. (Remember Kargath?)

    Now it's just "breeze through the leveling, AFK in town waiting in queues".

  15. #115
    Pit Lord Worgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kronos WoW - Vanilla server
    Posts
    2,325
    Flying mounts are a huge part of the problem. When I play on Vanilla servers, the world immediately feels larger because at most I'm cruising at +100% speed. And the game is more alive in Vanilla. PvP happens all the time, everywhere, because you can't just mount up and fly over it.

  16. #116
    easy to answer. higher concentration in a few areas.

  17. #117
    Reminder that after 4 years of WoW from 2004 to late 2008 wotlk release, sub number kept growing, peaking at 12 mil subs with wotlk release, despite all the stupid arguments how game was bad because <insert lazy casual's reason here>. And then in wotlk when Blizz started making raids more accessible and putting in different raid sizes, difficulties, item levels sub number suddenly started going down, peaking only once again when Lich King patch was released, because let's face it, everyone wanted to be there for that moment.

    Past that point, numbers kept rapidly going down and I blame Blizzard for driving away people who cared about the game and attracting lazy people looking for cheap fun.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    Reminder that after 4 years of WoW from 2004 to late 2008 wotlk release, sub number kept growing, peaking at 12 mil subs with wotlk release,
    It peaked at 12 million a few weeks before Cataclysm release. Kind of blows the rest of your argument out of the water.

    The catastropic sub decline started in Cataclysm when they apparently thought everyone not in the top 10% should do leveling content or archaeology for their expansion. For some reason, that design didn't go over well.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

  19. #119
    Because everything is automated. The road to hell was paved with good intentions

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It peaked at 12 million a few weeks before Cataclysm release. Kind of blows the rest of your argument out of the water.

    The catastropic sub decline started in Cataclysm when they apparently thought everyone not in the top 10% should do leveling content or archaeology for their expansion. For some reason, that design didn't go over well.
    Quit the bitching, nothing in Cata was hard. I felt no difference from Wotlk heroics to Cata heroics. Probably because I had friends to play with. So the shit was still easy. The game had to be dumbed down for friendless people who don't know how teamwork works.

    If teamwork was hard at all, LoL wouldn't be the most successful online game in the world

    The only mistake that was made, was not realizing that challenging content could only be completed by people who knew how to work together. As a social game should work.

    This is why TBC heroics weren't hard as all, but for some reason, with LFD everything became a challenge. Because anonymous jerks, are bad at the game


    You play league? You don't get rewards for solo queue, none, you get them for silver and up
    Last edited by Pandapuncher; 2014-05-12 at 07:05 PM.

  20. #120
    All the things blizzard has implemented has basically killed the social part of WoW. With cross-server, LFR, LFG, and all that stuff. Im not saying its bad necessarily, but back before that stuff, you were forced to do that stuff and interact/talk to people on your own. And as the posts before have said, flying adds to it too. everyone flies all over the place. Back when there werent flying mounts, you had to walk everywhere. Not to mention leveling is so much easier than it was back then. And again, most people use LFG to get to the higher levels, meaning you dont see them out in the world.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •