Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Brewmaster Aristeia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tha States
    Posts
    1,444
    You made the worst arguments I've probably ever seen on the internet ever and you should be ashamed of yourself.
    The earth is not a cold dead place

  2. #22
    The OP's thread is just stupid, no way around it.

    As many others have said, most basketball players are black because those individuals are currently the best at basketball.

    I do not have accurate numbers at hand right now, but i think that the majority of top-pro tennis players are white.

    Same goes for hockey i guess... i heard that chess is also white dominant, but that is not a physical sport.


    The sterling guy got fired because his statements were bad for business.

    Most basketball players and fans are black, and it was definitely a wise business move to get rid of a PR nightmare like sterling.

  3. #23
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Black people are genetically predisposed to outperform non-black people at any sport simply because they have greater proportions of non-neanderthal DNA.
    If we look past that your point is false it's funny that you mentiln black as one big group with no genetic differance no mater where they come from you do know that there is a HUGE dif between lets say the nations that are very good at long distance running and countrys like jamicia where they are much more explosive?

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by BastilaShan View Post
    And please explain this to me. Now we have the Donal Sterling issues, right? His statements were racist and because he stated them, in his home, he's banned from the NBA. Sounds reasonable, yea?
    And what world does this sound reasonable?

    How is firing and banning someone from ever working in their profession again for what they believe, think or say anything but extremely anti freedom of speech?

    Sure, if hes racist, hes a piece of shit. That's fine, but you don't just get to ruin peoples lives because of the words they say and how much you like them.

    Pretty fucked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    If you do not like guns, move to England. It is that simple.
    Simply pack up and leave! Much think, such smart.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    You think the NBA is discriminating towards non-blacks because 78% of the players are black? I'm not sure you understand what discrimination is.
    Well, that is the argument that gets used in other fields all the damned time. If black people or women are underrepresented in science, for example, there are lots of people that firmly believe that this is because of racism and sexism.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeches View Post
    That's fine, but you don't just get to ruin peoples lives because of the words they say and how much you like them.
    Yeah, his life is "ruined" by his club of owners kicking him out and forcing him to make a billion dollar profit. Woe is him.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeches View Post
    That's fine, but you don't just get to ruin peoples lives because of the words they say and how much you like them.
    Yeah, his life is "ruined" by his club of owners kicking him out and forcing him to make a billion dollar profit. Woe is him.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, that is the argument that gets used in other fields all the damned time. If black people or women are underrepresented in science, for example, there are lots of people that firmly believe that this is because of racism and sexism.
    Just because it's an argument used in other fields doesn't really make it a valid one for basketball. Context, man.

    There's plenty of non-black dudes in basketball who got there because they were the statistical anomaly that outperformed their black peers. That's just it though; in other fields, minorities tend to be under-represented due to discrimination that causes them to receive fewer opportunities than their majority racial counterparts, but in sports that doesn't really work... unless you're talking about gays, who are very openly discriminated against regardless of performance capabilities in virtually every major American sport.

    Heroic Recruitment -- Hersh's multi-PoV kill vids. -- Raids & Dungeons & Hunter kitty
    no one huntars like gaston

  7. #27
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    13,290
    Short people have a bit of a disadvantage when playing basketball.

    I, as a short person, recognizes this, and have experienced it first hand in my life, playing friendly games of basketball.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  8. #28
    I was having a thought, but I lost it.

    Oh, right, sports. Probably the purest meritocracy you can find. Its only bias is on a demographic sourcing level. For example, black Americans are less likely to try going into baseball or hockey (they do, of course). Latino men are very likely to go into baseball, by contrast.

    It's not racism really, more of which sport did your childhood train you to be best at? And then the best get to the highest level.
    Potato.

  9. #29
    As soon as a short dude can out dunk, out shoot, out run, and out perform tall dudes, a short dude will make it into the NBA. Its not descrimination, it's a job. It's based on ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Unfortunately for you, dictionaries are not authorities on the definitions of words.
    Ezekiel 23:20, Ezekiel 16:49-50, Mark 10:25, James 5:1-6, Luke 16:19-31, Matthew 19:21, Numbers 5:11-31

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    As soon as a short dude can out dunk, out shoot, out run, and out perform tall dudes, a short dude will make it into the NBA. Its not descrimination, it's a job. It's based on ability.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spud_Webb

    Dude was pretty good for 5'7"
    Potato.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Just because it's an argument used in other fields doesn't really make it a valid one for basketball. Context, man.
    I don't think it's valid in basketball or in science. Representation simply isn't a good marker for discrimination, there's too many other explanations that fit the facts better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    There's plenty of non-black dudes in basketball who got there because they were the statistical anomaly that outperformed their black peers. That's just it though; in other fields, minorities tend to be under-represented due to discrimination that causes them to receive fewer opportunities than their majority racial counterparts, but in sports that doesn't really work... unless you're talking about gays, who are very openly discriminated against regardless of performance capabilities in virtually every major American sport.
    Kinda weird how that discrimination in science is targeted at black people, but not at East Asians or Indians. Those scientists sure are a selectively racist lot...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Oh, right, sports. Probably the purest meritocracy you can find. Its only bias is on a demographic sourcing level. For example, black Americans are less likely to try going into baseball or hockey (they do, of course). Latino men are very likely to go into baseball, by contrast.

    It's not racism really, more of which sport did your childhood train you to be best at? And then the best get to the highest level.
    Agreed wholeheartedly, but this logic pretty obviously applies in the context of academia as well - SAT scores are pretty damned meritocratic. One can easily argue that the reason for differences there is socioeconomic background and parenting, and I'd concur, but that doesn't suggest at all that college admissions are discriminatory in any meaningful sense. They're simply targeted at getting the best students.

  12. #32
    Elemental Lord MerinPally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chemistry block.
    Posts
    8,495
    I don't think you're having so much a thought but rather complete mental diarrhea all over the internet and your keyboard and it's not pretty or even logical.

  13. #33
    Immortal Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A Hunter never gives away their location
    Posts
    7,760
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Black people are genetically predisposed to outperform non-black people at any sport simply because they have greater proportions of non-neanderthal DNA.
    Obviously no1 told Michael Jordan this when he tried to play baseball instead of basketball...

  14. #34
    The Lightbringer Calzaeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kopervik, Norway
    Posts
    3,154
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I don't think you're having so much a thought but rather complete mental diarrhea all over the internet and your keyboard and it's not pretty or even logical.
    Thanks for my new sig!
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I don't think you're having so much a thought but rather complete mental diarrhea all over the internet and your keyboard and it's not pretty or even logical.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Agreed wholeheartedly, but this logic pretty obviously applies in the context of academia as well - SAT scores are pretty damned meritocratic. One can easily argue that the reason for differences there is socioeconomic background and parenting, and I'd concur, but that doesn't suggest at all that college admissions are discriminatory in any meaningful sense. They're simply targeted at getting the best students.
    I'll refer you to the two University of Michigan cases.

    1. Strict calculation not allowed.
    2. But accounting for race in a holistic way is fine.

    Then the most recent one, which will not play out well (my opinion). I hope Scalia has a stroke, or something, soon. Kidding, kidding... (but I'm not).
    Potato.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I'll refer you to the two University of Michigan cases.
    1. Strict calculation not allowed.
    2. But accounting for race in a holistic way is fine.
    Then the most recent one, which will not play out well (my opinion). I hope Scalia has a stroke, or something, soon. Kidding, kidding... (but I'm not).
    I don't see how these really contradict what I'm saying, other than that universities discriminate in favor of certain minorities. It's pretty well established at this point that Asian-Americans face substantial discrimination in the admissions process, and I personally find that reprehensible. African-Americans (on average) have socioeconomic realities and lack of cohesive homes that are a pain in the ass when it comes to preparing them for university entrance, but they are emphatically not discriminated against by universities.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't see how these really contradict what I'm saying...
    Sorry, I was just throwing out a thing, not trying to contradict you. We don't always agree but I know you're someone I can have a good conversation about facts with, without us killing each other.
    Potato.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Sorry, I was just throwing out a thing, not trying to contradict you. We don't always agree but I know you're someone I can have a good conversation about facts with, without us killing each other.
    Oh, OK, I was kind of confused! Yeah, the recent cases (and the U of M ones) are entirely relevant. As far as an argument that discrimination in job markets is a problem, there are the studies that "black names" are less likely to get calls back than "white names". That seems like it's not great. The confounder there is that the "white names" used are things like "John" and the black names are things like "Vondaleesha". Perhaps all they're really demonstrating is that employers think that people with special snowflake names are a pain in the ass, on average. We'd have to insert some Skyler and Britni (with an I!) in for comparison.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeches View Post
    And what world does this sound reasonable?

    How is firing and banning someone from ever working in their profession again for what they believe, think or say anything but extremely anti freedom
    Ugh. This argument again.

    For the last time, having freedom of speech doesn't mean you get to say whatever the hell you want to say without suffering from any social or professional consequences. It just means the government can't prosecute you for saying those things.
    HEAVIEST: 361 lbs.
    CURRENT: 257.6 lbs.
    GOAL: Healthy 185 by end of 2014.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeches View Post
    How is firing and banning someone from ever working in their profession again for what they believe, think or say anything but extremely anti freedom of speech?
    Not all beliefs are created equal. And if your beliefs involve treating other people like they're less than human, you can get bent. "Freedom of speech" means that the government can't punish you. It doesn't mean that the rest of society can't kick your ass to the curb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeches View Post
    That's fine, but you don't just get to ruin peoples lives because of the words they say and how much you like them.
    *snort* Sterling is a billionaire. Cry more about how his life is ruined.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •