Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Just finished the first Final Fantasy 13

I know I'm very slow but I always hated it to be honest. My last true Final Fantasy was 12 hehe.

I just forced myself to finish it because I'm curious about the sequels (I have both ff13 part 2 and the Lightning return)

So my question is: is there a major improvements in the second one and the third one compare to the first FF13? because in my personal opinion it was one of the worst of the entire FF series.

Please give me some feedback without spoiling the storyline for me because I didn't start the second one yet. :P

Thanks for reading.

burn it. I almost threw up playing that game >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    burn it. I almost threw up playing that game >.<
    Damn such sad one in this awesome series because FF 5,6,7 and 12 were my favorite.

i didn't manage to finish either, been a fan since forever - loved them all, have touched any since i got half way in 13

/sad days

I had a hard time swallowing the plot holes in FF8 back in the day. FF10 had villains with retarded motivations and heroes with stupid logic. I still managed to beat both of those games and enjoy them, for the most part.

FF13 actually made me angry with how backwards the logic of the heroes and the villains is and how the game seems to gleefully skips down a road paved in plot holes. And that's not even touching and the overwhelming linearity of the game...

That said, no. I cannot recommend playing the other games. Though they do make some mechanical improvements (FF13-2's gameplay is very enjoyable, actually) and the story does improve a little with the second game, the improvements aren't enough to make up for the horrible characters and then Lightning Returns comes back in and makes the story horrible all over again.
    Last edited by unholytestament; 2014-05-10 at 11:29 PM.

13-2 is better but that's not saying much. I am yet to finish 13-2 as I lost interest. I know the ending which killed my desire to want to finish. It's an OK game but I certainly wouldn't be recommending it. Ypu have more free reign and there are npcs to interact with but It's still linear.

I hated that you can't get other characters to join your party you have to team with monsters. You can get lighting but she's in a paid dlc fight and the stupidest bit is she's not a guaranteed drop :/ and the full ending is paid DLC...
    Last edited by Nasriel; 2014-05-10 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

FF 13-2 has a slightly more endurable plot but the characters are twice as annoying. Also, gameplay is pretty much unchanged. I'd advise you to move on if you wish to retain your sanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn this is so sad so far the only good thing about current FF13 is maybe the battle system but other than that I just can't enjoy it at all I'm forcing myself so hard just because I have been an old final fantasy old school RPG fan but this is too much haha...I mean I started to doubt myself for getting old and maybe I don't enjoy RPGs as I used to be but damn yeah the most annoying about and made me disgusted about ff13 is being super linear......what happened to exploring the world map....what happened to flying around with my airship searching for some secrets.....what happned to wondering around towns and having interesting dialog from the townfolks.....sometimes I just missed the old days RPGs....call me an old nostalgic rose goggle if you want this is who I'm.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Damn this is so sad so far the only good thing about current FF13 is maybe the battle system but other than that I just can't enjoy it at all I'm forcing myself so hard just because I have been an old final fantasy old school RPG fan but this is too much haha...I mean I started to doubt myself for getting old and maybe I don't enjoy RPGs as I used to be but damn yeah the most annoying about and made me disgusted about ff13 is being super linear......what happened to exploring the world map....what happened to flying around with my airship searching for some secrets.....what happned to wondering around towns and having interesting dialog from the townfolks.....sometimes I just missed the old days RPGs....call me an old nostalgic rose goggle if you want this is who I'm.
    Well, it's more that Square is trying to appeal to the masses now instead of just their core playerbase, which has led to FF13 being really bad in the eyes of the FF base. That's typically what you get when you try to market your already successful and niche game to everyone else, and then after to change it for them.

13-2 is less linear, but the the game is far easier then the first. It does have the interesting pokemon style mechanic of your 3rd party member.

Lightning Returns has a great combat system and an open world with tons of side quests. The story is down right laughable though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Well, it's more that Square is trying to appeal to the masses now instead of just their core playerbase, which has led to FF13 being really bad in the eyes of the FF base. That's typically what you get when you try to market your already successful and niche game to everyone else, and then after to change it for them.
    Their core FF fanbase is Japan, and Japan voted 13 their favorite. They didn't like the sequels though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going with the rest of the guys. FFXIII was dreadful, worst FF i ever played, FF XIII-2 is slightly better, but the plot can be hard to follow, and then comes Lightning Returns. I thought FFXIII was awful but Lightning Returns showed me theres always something worst out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The story is down right laughable though.
    ...A typical sequel to a new game or film; the writers try to make their story as "awesome" and as "epic" and as "grand" as possible, and take inspiration from The Great Book of Story Cliches,then they come to the ending and, because they didn't think out their whole series plot earlier, are forced to come up with an ass ending. Like Battlestar Galactica, or Mass Effect for example: At first the plot was good, then at the end, writers are scrambling for a ending, and then it's face palms everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    That remains to be seen going forward. After the success of Bravely Default, Square has made comments of focusing on what built their success. They outright said there appears to still be a strong demand for the more traditional RPGs (something fans have been saying for a long while) and even berated themselves for trying to appeal to mass markets.

Now, FF XV was already too far along as XIII vs to expect a vast change on that, but I'm curious to see what XVI turns out to be.

What frustrated me most about the XIII Trilogy is, despite its major flaws and problems, XIII ended just fine. IT DID NOT NEED A SEQUEL.

Just like X didn't need one.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFXIII is the strongest in story and characterization. FFXIII-2 allows you to go around more but your character growth is completely butchered in that. The combat system does change a bit so it's a personal taste on this one. FFXIII:LR is just... A huge pile of 'wat'. It has a weird blend of adventure in the RPG model. And you only get to be Lightning 99% of the time with a certain guest for an arc. Pretty much a barbie-dressing game with bits of Majora's Mask thrown in for plot.

FFXIII has a lot of 'secrets' in it. Completing the achievements is quite tedious and forging the final weapons is a grind in of itself. Though I loved FFXIII, I do agree about it being too linear for too many chapters. It's a shame it takes so long for things to be under the player's control for exploring. ( There are no airships and towns in FFXIII for a reason. It's kinda the whole theme of the party being hated on. )

I don't recommend the other two sequels if you didn't somewhat enjoy FFXIII's cast and battle system. I recommend playing FFT: War of the Lions for some good old-school Final Fantasy feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Lightning Returns has so many things wrong with it that I have completely lost faith in the FF name and I've beaten every single FF title to date. It would take an hour to write down how many things LR has gotten wrong, but any good review website will list them all. It's a damn shame about that game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sett View Post
    FFXIII is the strongest in story and characterization. FFXIII-2 allows you to go around more but your character growth is completely butchered in that. The combat system does change a bit so it's a personal taste on this one. FFXIII:LR is just... A huge pile of 'wat'. It has a weird blend of adventure in the RPG model. And you only get to be Lightning 99% of the time with a certain guest for an arc. Pretty much a barbie-dressing game with bits of Majora's Mask thrown in for plot.

FFXIII has a lot of 'secrets' in it. Completing the achievements is quite tedious and forging the final weapons is a grind in of itself. Though I loved FFXIII, I do agree about it being too linear for too many chapters. It's a shame it takes so long for things to be under the player's control for exploring. ( There are no airships and towns in FFXIII for a reason. It's kinda the whole theme of the party being hated on. )

I don't recommend the other two sequels if you didn't somewhat enjoy FFXIII's cast and battle system. I recommend playing FFT: War of the Lions for some good old-school Final Fantasy feels.
    Oh of course FFT is one of my favorite games ever played both the original PS1 version the and war of the lions and to this day I still play it a lot.

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah being too linear is what killed my interest in FFXIII...it's like watching a movie instead of playing an actual RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    The last truely great ff game was 10. 12 was pretty good, but 13 sucks. ive only played 4/7/9/10/10-2/12/13

I never got through 12 or 13. So sad how far an epic series has fallen.

I quit FF13 about 40% the way in. Garbage game. Disliked the system of how you can switch roles mid fight, the characters were whiny and annoying, and the plot was very "meh".

Just finished the first Final Fantasy 13
    My condolences.