Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

(HS) Anyone else notice a trend in card draws?

Been playing pretty much all weekend and started to notice a pattern in the cards I get.
    Say I am on my ramp druid I can have 4-5 games in a row where all I get is high cost cards that do nothing until turn 5/6+ then have another 4-5 games in a row where everything falls in perfectly.
    Same on control warrior but instead I can get 4-5 games of nothing but spells and 0 minions for the first 5 turns

Anyone else getting these sort of trends?

Deleted
    It's not a trend, it's RNG working.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortun View Post
    It's not a trend, it's RNG working.
    RNG would be random though wouldn't it?
    I am talking 5 games poor draw 5 games good draw rinse and repeat

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippoflames View Post
    RNG would be random though wouldn't it?
    I am talking 5 games poor draw 5 games good draw rinse and repeat
    Sometimes RNG can result in apparent patterns. But they're still being determined by RNG.

the human mind looks for and creates patterns when there are none, but random is random, sorry for you bad draws, but at least you get some good ones!
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

Deleted
    Sometimes I get all the dream openers (no matter what class I play). And sometimes I get 6 5 6 mana cost cards as starting hand.. The rng is real
    Last edited by mmocd047dac95b; 2014-05-11 at 04:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it must be rng but it can be really frustrating or really fun depending what end you get lol

Unless someone has seen the code and says it's random; just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there.

I too have noticed a semi-pattern of sorts, but I wouldn't describe it as the OP did, but it is of a similar nature.

Like others have said, probably just looking for patterns from RNG. It's like when you switch out a card from your starting hand before a game and then you draw that same card for your turn 1. It's really annoying to me so it sticks in my mind as happening a lot more than it actually does. Or there is also the possibility that there is code in the game like "roll a number between 1 and 20 and if that number is 10 then card on turn one will be a card that was switched out of the starting hand."
    Last edited by Ineras; 2014-05-11 at 07:45 PM.

I'd say RNG as well.

I am curious however, is it possible to get any card in the opening hand (pre draw)? I've been playing a druid since I started in the beta, but I don't think I've ever started the game with innervate. I've drawn it first turn though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    I'd say RNG as well.

I am curious however, is it possible to get any card in the opening hand (pre draw)? I've been playing a druid since I started in the beta, but I don't think I've ever started the game with innervate. I've drawn it first turn though.
    Yes. Anything.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Well this game is 2% skill 98% RNG.

I mean playing druid? Your ancients, druids of the claw and legendaries are last 8 cards, get fucked. )
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Deleted
    The only trend I noticed is that sometimes I'm lucky and sometimes I'm not.

Ditching 3 4 drops as a ZooLock only for them to be replaced by both Doomguards and a Soulfire. GG.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe in trends drawing cards, it's like when you have 3 or 4 cards in your first hand and discard them all, and you draw the exact same ones out, no way is that RNG, it happens too often to be random, it's like 1 in 30 chance of redrawing the same card, yet it happens constantly.

I had it wrote down somewhere about every draw I had in conjunction with other cards, over the space of a week, patterns were there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    I believe in trends drawing cards, it's like when you have 3 or 4 cards in your first hand and discard them all, and you draw the exact same ones out, no way is that RNG, it happens too often to be random, it's like 1 in 30 chance of redrawing the same card, yet it happens constantly.

I had it wrote down somewhere about every draw I had in conjunction with other cards, over the space of a week, patterns were there.
    2 in 30, for each draw, if you have two of the cards. And if you replace multiple cards, you're getting multiple chances to redraw, and each draw reduces the pool of cards.

Of course, RNGs only emulate randomness by pulling a seed value from some constantly-changing variable, like the time or a memory address. Sometimes RNGs will display patterns or produce replicable results because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post

You cannot get the same card back that you just got rid of via mulligan. If you did, it's because you have 2 copies of that card in your deck. In which case; I don't know why you're surprised to see something that you have 2 of crop up in a tiny 30 card deck.

First off, coding some sort of dynamic card "draw value" into cards that weigh themselves against everything else in the deck (and have to update each time something is removed from the deck) serves absolutely no purpose and would be a ton of work. Work that would have be revisited any time that new cards were created. And what would the point of that even be? At best all it can do is hope to mimic the appearance of a random draw.

Or they can make the draw random like makes sense for a shuffled deck and never have to rework or revisit it again. What would you have done with your Hearthstone sized team?

This thread reminds me of the people who believed that facing north while crafting in FFXI gave more skill-ups.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    This thread reminds me of the people who believed that facing north while crafting in FFXI gave more skill-ups.
    Granted, such a thing sounds stupid, but without any evidence presented to prove the opposite, how do you know this isn't the case? Without evidence, the only grounds you have are anecdotal, and with only that, people can pull some rather perplexing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Granted, such a thing sounds stupid, but without any evidence presented to prove the opposite, how do you know this isn't the case? Without evidence, the only grounds you have are anecdotal, and with only that, people can pull some rather perplexing stuff.
    You don't need to know that something impausible isn't the case to dismiss it as ridiculous, the same way that you don't need to know that I'm not actually Smaug the Magnificent, because that claim is extremely implausible.

The burden of proof is on the one making the claim, not the other way around.

Though if you disagree, be ready to start paying a regular tithe to me, to keep me from flying over to where you live and burning your home down with my magical dragonfire. You don't know that I can't do that, after all, and is it really worth risking your life to not pay up? I'm sure you'll make the right choice.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    You don't need to know that something impausible isn't the case to dismiss it as ridiculous, the same way that you don't need to know that I'm not actually Smaug the Magnificent, because that claim is extremely implausible.

The burden of proof is on the one making the claim, not the other way around.

Though if you disagree, be ready to start paying a regular tithe to me, to keep me from flying over to where you live and burning your home down with my magical dragonfire. You don't know that I can't do that, after all, and is it really worth risking your life to not pay up? I'm sure you'll make the right choice.
    - "It's RNG."
    - "How do you know?"
    - "I don't have to prove it, the burden of proof is on the one making the claim."

Also, don't say that because something is implausible it's impossible. If there's a chance, I think it takes a certain type of person to dismiss it. I'm not saying that if you hear hoofs you should think zebra, I'm just saying don't assume it can't be one.

Deleted
    Would be nice if you could assign 1-3 (depending on what provides the best gameplay based on playtesting) cards in your deck that you would get guaranteed in your opener. Less RNG and more meta-game.

Might be too controversial though.