Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Herald of the Titans
    Pro:

Better balance and queues in BGs (no Alliance-favored AV/IOC, no Horde-favored everything else).

They always say gameplay trumps lore, so that's fine.

The Patient
    Quote Originally Posted by officerlahey View Post
    I don't follow. Especially for raids. Every single raid in the game the alliance and horde are coming together to defeat a common enemy. They are setting aside their differences from the battlefield (battlegrounds) and working together to save the world.
    Only the NPCs, mind you. Takes an NPC mind to form a Cenarion Circle, an Ashen Verdict, anything sensible really. Players are not allowed to possess normally functioning brains and should enter instaberserk at the sight of The Enemy.

Also, the statement doesn't seem to apply to Naxx (at least new one) and Throne of Thunder. Ulduar - not 100% sure but Explorer's League is Alliance Vanguard. The trailer says all you need to know about Horde and Alliance setting aside their differences to end a common threat.

Of course, there are hurdles on the way to A/H persistent ceasefire or long term cooperation.
    Ever tried to do 5.3 Barrens as an ally? After seeing the proposed greeting from DJ Vol'jin to an allied hero arriving to help the horde stop breaking apart I didn't even approach him on any of my allied toons and fully supported Tyrande's "don't think we're here to save your hide, troll" in SoO.
    I also don't see any of my allied toons entering any kind of truce with Sylvanas. Would I reconsider after some serious territorial settlements and seeing some actual effort on the part of the Forsaken to repair what they did in Gilneas? Hell knows, she still replenishes numbers of the Forsaken by raising human corpses.
    How do my ally toons work with goblins after their entrepreneurial successes in Stonetalon?
    How do my ally toons work with orcs? They still derive their whole "culture" from the ever prevailing "me smash you die", can you really see a merge?
    Can you see belven authorities actually working to repay for their involvement in destruction of Theramore?

And that's just from Alliance-centric perspective, I'm sure people more attached to the Horde side would find their own Koom Valleys to remember.

The Alliance and the Horde and the differences between the two are very sizable. At the heart of WoW is the Alliance versus Horde factor, they're natural enemies and though they've come together to fight a greater evil from time to time, they're just too large a part of the game to actually just merge into one. It would ruin the game at it's core. Because to be frank, I don't want to share the streets of Stormwind and Dalaran with Orcs that smell like they haven't showered in weeks.

Now, I would love to see a Merc system in WoW that allows you to play instances or BGs with mixed members of either faction. I do agree that splitting your player base in two doesn't do anyone many favors, but that would completely destroy WoW to merge the two.

"It was Ivan, the Dwarf sentry who wore the novelty horse head mask because he thought it was funny. It wasn’t. Marvar was very sure on this point."

If not merging the two is not to your liking, Horde and Alliance really need more shit to make them hate each other in a big way. Then to really affect each others gameplay. Currently I am Horde, the Alliance is just some friendly people I see occasionally that I cant talk to. They wave to me time to time and I wave back. Yeah, thats so important to keep.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Pandaren Monk
    It honestly would fix a lot of things, especially server imbalances.

The only things it really ruins is immersion, and regardless of whether you RP or you don't (I don't) seeing Orcs running around Stormwind or having Worgen frolicking around in Orgrimmar really does break immersion. How important that aspect is will be entirely up to each individual, but it would be a large change. On PvP servers there would be less risk and PvP in the world would effectively be dead forever unless they changed the rules up, which would likely cause more confusion.

As far as queues go, organized raiding or even forming groups goes, well it would make things a lot smoother lol.

What if a third faction was introduced, so both sides could hate them and be at war with them, meaning Horde / Alliance would merge and make amends with each other. That third faction would be npc's but still. Yes, I have no fucking clue about the lore of WoW, never seemed to matter to me, just knew I should hate them and not sure why.
    ** When you realize the person you're talking to is so clueless that they think you're the idiot **

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    What if a third faction was introduced, so both sides could hate them and be at war with them, meaning Horde / Alliance would merge and make amends with each other. That third faction would be npc's but still. Yes, I have no fucking clue about the lore of WoW, never seemed to matter to me, just knew I should hate them and not sure why.
    Why? Old grudges (Warcraft 1 & 2) and shoddy NPC decisions that serve no other purpose than to create more hatred, that's why.
    Edit: So that the two faction gameplay system can be preserved and justified. It's 'gameplay over lore,' and as such, it doesn't need to make sense.

Pros: Shorter queues.

Cons: Literally everything else about the game. I play for the faction war, not carebear crap.

i don't want treehugger-type people in my trade chat so a big NO to the merge.

i mean, i have a human paladin as well (for the double agent) but i really can't stand the alliance trade chat. if i want to talk with a bunch of do-gooders and charity crowd i would go to a church or something.

Herald of the Titans
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Pros: Shorter queues.

Cons: Literally everything else about the game. I play for the faction war, not carebear crap.
    First, gameplay trumps lore. That's Blizzard's words.

Second, where have you seen the faction war? Are you talking about world PVP, lol??? Unrated BGs are the only place where that "faction war" happens.

Stood in the Fire
    Really bad idea:
    -it goes against lore
    -this is world of WARcraft
    -what's the point of battlegrounds when we're all one family?
    -I really don't like the Horde, for lore reasons and other, I'm sure Horde players feel the same way about Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    First, gameplay trumps lore. That's Blizzard's words.
    Gameplay does indeed trump lore. And the gameplay of having enemy factions is worth more to me than one side getting shorter queues.

Then it would be World of Peacecraft. Who wants to play that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Delti View Post
    If Forgettable knew what he was doing with his keyboard, I would totally kick his ass in dps!
    ^ My guild leader while drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    Game would have to be completely recoded.

Warcraft has always been Alliance vs Horde since WC: Orcs and Humans.

You mean so November 23, 1994. Of interest is the fact that WoW released, to the day, exactly 10 years later.
    Gryphons have always been able to fly. Just because it has ever been so, does not mean it must be so.

Would completely destroy what makes Warcraft Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Well it would ruin lore, for instance.
    Not necessarily, it could arguably open up a whole new avenue of lore.
    "There is good and evil in this world; we must find the black and white in the gray."

I do not get the lore. Seriously, some one give me the TL/DR version for alliance/horde lore. When I play (as Horde) the Alliance mean nothing to me currently, they have zero impact on me in game so why is this so-called barrier put in place, to what end? It serves no purpose at all from my perspective, it adds nothing.

+I could finally find a casual non-mythic raiding guild.
    +More Roleplayer opportunities
    -Alliance vs alliance or horde vs horde pvp would be stupid
    -I'd never get to kill Jaina
    -No more world pvp
    -No more war in Warcraft
    -Would make both factions look like arse lickers

+The entire moral of this franchise seems to be "only by working together can you succeed," yet all we do is kill each other until NPCs step in
    +The Horde vs Alliance conflict is getting stale, and recycling the same tired themes over and over again is just boring and predictable
    +Letting everyone interact would do a lot for the world, for good or ill
    +Huge RP opportunities

-The game was designed as a two-faction experience and it's probably too ingrained to get rid of at this point
    -Just imagine the whining, it'd make RealID on the forums look petty in comparison
    -Orcs in Darnassus? Worgen in the Undercity? Night elves in Orgrimmar?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Well it would ruin lore, for instance.
    Except doesn't lore end with WC3?