10+ Year Old Account

Transferring WoW files from one comp to another?

Hey MMO-Champ.

I was wondering if it was possible to transfer my entire WoW folder from my laptop to my upcoming newly built computer instead of re-downloading/re-installing it.

The reason I don't want to re-download it is because... well... it'll take ages with my current internet speed (see below) and MoP is right around the corner.

Deleted
    Should'nt be a problem Roscoe I've done it several times due to the same problem. Works just fine for me moving only folder instead of reinstalling.

Deleted
    You can just copy over the whole WoW folder, I can't explain how it works but it isn't like normal games where it fucks the registry up if you copy paste.

My internet speed is only like 6 times better than yours.

I doubt you can really do what you want. Maybe if you get like a 16 GB or higher USB Flash Drive but even then I don't think it'll work.

Edit: I stand corrected. Surprising.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatspostcount View Post
    You can just copy over the whole WoW folder, I can't explain how it works but it isn't like normal games where it fucks the registry up if you copy paste.
    Yeah, I was worried about registry problems if I did this.

Also.. It's going from Windows Vista 64bit to Windows 7 64bit. No problems there, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just copy and paste the wow folder, I do it all the time to my external hard drive so I never have to dl big patches again. Do it form win 7 to vista too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    The reason I don't want to re-download it is because... well... it'll take ages with my current internet speed (see below) and MoP is right around the corner.
    To be honest, even at that speed, I would install from scratch on the new computer. With the new downloader-process, you only need to download the first bit of the game, then you can start playing. And while you play, you download more. And eventually, the entire game is done. If you're using the computer anyway, meaning it is online during the day, you can just leave the launcher running in the background.

Sure, it won't be an optimal gaming experience now. But if you start now, you're just about ready for MoP when it activates, assuming you keep downloading during the day (and night too, if you can).

yes it does work when you copy WoW from PC to PC or HDD to HDD iam doing that all the time with no problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    My internet speed is only like 6 times better than yours.

I doubt you can really do what you want. Maybe if you get like a 16 GB or higher USB Flash Drive but even then I don't think it'll work.

Edit: I stand corrected. Surprising.

I do it all the time. WoW doesn't write a thing to the Registry.

---------- Post added 2012-09-23 at 08:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    To be honest, even at that speed, I would install from scratch on the new computer. With the new downloader-process, you only need to download the first bit of the game, then you can start playing. And while you play, you download more. And eventually, the entire game is done. If you're using the computer anyway, meaning it is online during the day, you can just leave the launcher running in the background.

Sure, it won't be an optimal gaming experience now. But if you start now, you're just about ready for MoP when it activates, assuming you keep downloading during the day (and night too, if you can).
    Copy from another computer... it's a googleplex times faster and you can move your addons and account settings as same time as well.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

Copypaste works flawlessly. There was even a blue post on it a while back.

Deleted
    Do it every patch with my brother because his files fuck up for some reason, just plug a cable into both and transfer them through the local network, should take 10-30minutes depending on your computer's capabilities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    Copy from another computer... it's a googleplex times faster and you can move your addons and account settings as same time as well.
    I still prefer clean installs on new computers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright. Just needed confirmation that there wouldn't be any problems when doing this. I would do a clean install but my internet says otherwise.

Thank you guys for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    I still prefer clean installs on new computers.
    why ?

after this patch there was the file optimization and my old WoW folder went from 36GB or so down to 19,5GB which is the same as fresh install...also when copying the game you don't have to re-download and set all addons which is BIG plus imo.

With the internet speed OP and I have downloading/re-installing is no option, I personally download patches only for my client and copy updated game on my 2nd PC, cause its way faster like this then downloading it on both

I suggest you try FolderTransfer.com, I think it is a wonderful program to transfer wow files from one computer to another over the network. It can also help to share your computer files and folders to let other networked users download anytime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yunda View Post
    I suggest you try FolderTransfer.com, I think it is a wonderful program to transfer wow files from one computer to another over the network. It can also help to share your computer files and folders to let other networked users download anytime.
    Thanks for resurrecting a thread from september 2012 :P

Deleted
    Please double check the dates of a thread before responding. I expect the OP figured this out two years ago so I'm going to close.