Deleted

Sold laptop on ebay problem

I sold an old laptop this week and the buyer is complaining.
    I sold it as "spares and repairs" because it wasn't working at all and I didn't have the charger so I just wanted to get rid of it.

It sold for £34/$57 total and cost me £12/$20 to post it so I gained £22/$37 (£1 = $)1.7.

It's pretty old and can't find much information about it, I put the model into google and got this spec
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T5300 1,73Ghz
    RAM: 2GB DDR2
    HDD: 160GB
    GFX: Intel 945 Express Chipset up to 256MB shr

Turns out the spec is this:
    Intel® Celeron® M440 1.86GHz Processor
    512MB DDR2 Memory
    80GB SATA Hard Drive.

The new and old model use the SAME MODEL NUMBER and look exactly the same

But yeah basically this guy buys broken laptops and fixes them and sells them.
    He's complaining the spec is wrong and he won't get back what he paid for it, and I disagree, old laptops routinely sell for £60~80 on ebay.

What should I do about this? I'm in the wrong thanks to the model number confusion but either way he's lying about not getting a return on it, I know for a fact people buy old cheap laptops for more than double the price he paid.

ALSO it comes with a windows vista key, which sell for £20~40 on ebay.
    Last edited by mmocc39820a35d; 2014-05-12 at 02:00 PM.

Deleted
    He is being a dick about it considering he is getting it for peanuts, but unfortunately he is in the right. You sold something with an incorrect description and it is up to you to make this right. He has a right to take this complaint to ebay and they will support him, you have not got a leg to stand on.

You are joking right.
    There is no way that you don't know the processor, memory and HD size.

Is this your own laptop?
    or just got it from somewhere else?

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item...described.html

Edit: To be clear, IMHO, you're at fault in this instance and he has every right to complain. It doesn't matter whether or not he can actually get a return or not, he should have gotten what he paid for which was the item and specifications you advertised.
    Last edited by cyndallis; 2014-05-12 at 02:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    He is being a dick about it considering he is getting it for peanuts, but unfortunately he is in the right. You sold something with an incorrect description and it is up to you to make this right. He has a right to take this complaint to ebay and they will support him, you have not got a leg to stand on.
    That's what I thought.
    Either way there's not much HE can do, he can complain sure, but ebay will probably say ok, you're entitled to a refund so return the goods to the seller.
    It's gonna cost him at least £10 to send it back, and why would he send it back when he knows there's a decent profit on fixing it?

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    You are joking right.
    There is no way that you don't know the processor, memory and HD size.

Is this your own laptop?
    or just got it from somewhere else?
    No I'm not joking, I found it in storage, and I don't know how it got there.

Even if a genuine mistake, you didn't detail the specifications properly, and he paid for something and didn't get it. You're in the wrong, just return the money and re-list it again properly.

Deleted
    you broken the ebay rules
    sry.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexed View Post
    That's what I thought.
    Either way there's not much HE can do, he can complain sure, but ebay will probably say ok, you're entitled to a refund so return the goods to the seller.
    It's gonna cost him at least £10 to send it back, and why would he send it back when he knows there's a decent profit on fixing it?

You forget this will go as a mark against your account. Good luck selling anything with low ratings.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the deal is great considering both specs. You technically laid to him when you gave him the wrong description and he is entitled to a refund.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

Deleted
    That's what I thought.

Look, you fucked up not him. Take this on the chin, give a full refund, resell the item and chalk this up to experience. Next time be 100% accurate when describing an item, people can be very anal.

If the item is different to what you advertised then he can get his money back. Ebay almost always sides with the buyer and infact you have to go a long way as a seller to make sure you don't get duped. You can make your point and try to come to an agreement, but expect to have to refund him.

Technically it's also not on the buyer to pay for the return postage either, even though it is the generally accepted way of things, disagreements over this happen a lot, sometimes Ebay will offer to pay the return postage for you, to help settle the dispute.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

That's what I thought.
    What a terrible attitude, and chances are eBay will take the £10 from your account if you don't co-operate. You messed up, not the Buyer, nor eBay, so you best play ball.

Deleted
    Not sure, but since you listed it wrong...don't you have to pay for the return postage?

but either way he's lying about not getting a return on it, I know for a fact people buy old cheap laptops for more than double the price he paid.
    That's kinda irrelevant in this case.

Deleted
    I've sent him a message saying I'll give him a refund and he can return it, but I doubt he will, I think he's going to pressure me for a partial refund so he can get some money back from me and sell it for a bigger profit.

Yeah if he returns it I'm pretty sure eBay will pull the shipping charges from your account as well since it was not as described. Really, don't mess around with it, you're at fault and could possibly get barred from eBay and PayPal.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Really, don't mess around with it, you're at fault and could possibly get barred from eBay and PayPal.
    Even if not, negative Feedback is never something you'd like to have in your eBay profile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you so sure he didn't buy the laptop because he needed the parts to repair one with the specs you gave? And since he didn't get the parts he actually needed you wasted him that money?
    And yes, refurbished laptops might range from $60 to $80, but you need to buy those parts. It might take 2 or 3 broken ones to get all parts, so there won't be much of a profit margin for him in it. I highly doubt that parts simply magically appear from the Magical Laptop Fairy.

Also you blow him off, even though you sold him something that is worse than what you advertised. Single Core instead of Dual Core? One Quarter of the Ram? Harddrive half the size?
    Dude, YOU totally messed that up.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've sent him a message saying I'll give him a refund and he can return it, but I doubt he will, I think he's going to pressure me for a partial refund so he can get some money back from me and sell it for a bigger profit.
    You're riding a fine line here since you were initially in the wrong. Work with him and consider this a lesson learned for next time.